It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:37 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: An Important Announcement on the Future of FINAL FANTASY XIV
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:00 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

Square Enix would like to take a moment to make an important announcement to our valued players and fans regarding the future of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

Please read on for the full details.

Post subject: Re: An Important Announcement on the Future of FINAL FANTASY
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:11 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Before anything else, let me say that, although obscured, I really like the look of the interface in this picture. I hope this is something they're actually working on and not just some old concept mock-up.

(EDIT: Removed image. See a few posts down for a much clearer one I ripped from their PDFs)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:31 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

To sum this up for the people at work who can't view this:

- Billing for the current FFXIV will re-commence at the end of November or beginning of December. They're probably out of money by now, lol.

- They've been working on a complete overhaul of the entire game, called 2.0. This is a brand new game client to replace the existing one, as well as brand new servers, including server hardware.

- At some point between October 2012 and December 2012, they will make the transition between 1.0 and 2.0. This will require taking the game offline to replace all of the servers. All players will have to re-download the new client (for free) and will likely be a huge DVD-sized download.

- All existing characters will be transferred to the new servers. Version 2.0 will also come with a new free trial period offered to everyone.

- This version 2.0 will also serve as the PS3 version of the game, and will release alongside it.

This is about a year away from now, sadly. I'm afraid the re-introducing of billing may drive away a bunch of people who were still jsut on-the fence.

There is, however, a whole bunch of new concept art, specs, and stuff for version 2.0 available in the following PDF files:

http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/downlo ... ine_EN.pdf
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/downlo ... ecs_EN.pdf
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/downlo ... ent_EN.pdf
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/downlo ... map_EN.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:44 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Does this mean we have to buy 2.0 game again? or we already have paid it and can download it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:06 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Another year until they think the game is ps3 ready, and we'll be paying for that year, huh? Interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:28 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Now that I'm at home I can read this a bit more closely.

Basically 2.0 will be this game's "cataclysm". The entire overworld will be replaced along with all it's quests and content. From now until then, a mission storyline and related quests will be added to the game that will lead up to and explain the cause of this sudden world change. It will not be possible to experience these quests/cutscenes/storyline once the 2.0 change takes place.

They'll still be patching and upgrading this current system in the meantime, including the dungeons, content, and UI, and most of these changes will be part of 2.0 too. We're not just wasting time adding stuff that's going to be scrapped once 2.0 takes place.

2.0 will be when the servers are replaced, the new client will be released with all of the stuff they couldn't shoehorn into the current one (PvP, summoning, complete UI revamp, etc), along with the new overworld. Presumably there'll be a huge marketting campaign to go alongside it and the game will be "re-released" as Final Fantasy XIV "2.0".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:36 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Huge images I just ripped from the PDF documents:

Concept New UI

Redesigned Zone Maps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:44 am 
Even Match
Even Match

I noticed this in the 2.0 Outline PDF.

Quote:
The new graphics engine will cause certain objects to display differently than they do in the current version. Because of this, we will allow all current players the opportunity to re-customize the race, gender, and
appearance of their characters upon the implementation of the new engine.

Klu you should be pretty excited about this \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:05 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

1. Coolest thing about this thread was the names of the players in that concept UI.

2. What race does Kluya want to be?!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

THIS IS GREAT NEWS. I've been hoping they do this for a long time. I even suggested it a while back.

But I won't be paying for the in-between time. I'll just stick with FF11 for now. But I'll definitely be back for V2.0.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Text timeline from the first PDF. Not an exhaustive list of changes, just a summary of major changes.

Quote:
Major Milestones

Late November to Early Decemeber, 2011 - Patch 1.20 (and subsequent hotfixes)
⇒Class adjustments (abilities & weaponskills) / Malevolent Moogle (Primal) battle
⇒Achievement system (300+ planned) / Market adjustments / PC search
⇒The continuation of Disciple of the Hand recipe adjustments (HQ items / Repair adjustments)

・Early February 2012 - Patch 1.21 (and subsequent hotfixes)
⇒Creation of Private Rooms (Inns, etc.) / Hamlet defense PvE content
⇒The job system (7 jobs plus related quests and gear) / Personal chocobo gear
⇒Two new instanced raids

・Mid April 2012 - Patch 1.22 (and subsequent hotfixes)
⇒Garuda (Primal) battle./ Battle system balance adjustments
⇒Garlean Empire battle content

・Early to Mid July 2012 - Patch 1.23 (and subsequent hotfixes)
⇒Garlean Empire Legatus battle
⇒Content surrounding the Twelve mythos

Road to Version 2.0

・Late November to Early December – Monthly subscription fees begin (PC)
・Late November to Early December – Patch 1.20
・Early February 2012 – Patch 1.21
・February 2012 – Development test server reconstruction complete
・Mid April 2012 – Patch 1.22

・April 2012 – Version 2.0 client system complete
- Commence porting of current game content to version 2.0 client

・June 2012 – Worldwide launch of new promotion trailer at E3

・Early to Mid July 2012 – Patch 1.23

・September to October 2012 – Begin distribution of version 2.0 software for PC
- Begin distribution of PlayStation®3 system beta version

・October to November 2012 – Reinstate limited free trial period for PC version
- Commence PlayStation®3 system closed beta test

・Post-January 2013 – Version 2.0 client (PC and PlayStation®3 system) goes on sale
- Free trial period ends

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:30 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Just re-read my post. All of it was pretty cool. I wasn't being snarky with my #1 comment. I just thought it was really cool to use old character names from previous FF titles. haha

Wasn't a bitter post, I promise!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:46 am 

no one answered my question, Does this mean we have to pop another 60 buck for 2.0v game?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:59 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Pantherxx wrote:
no one answered my question, Does this mean we have to pop another 60 buck for 2.0v game?

It's in my post right above yours:
Ketrebu wrote:
All players will have to re-download the new client (for free)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:19 am 
Spammer, to the max!

this is just insane lol, the game is going to be completely unrecognizable, there is soooo much if you guys delve into all the information. i'm a little speechless at the moment haha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:00 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Why has no one mentioned how fucking badass Garuda looks? I mean holy fucking shit. But then again I like ifrit when you guys hate his model so I dunno.

Yoshi is taking PVP seriously, he's adding not only collesiums but full scale zone control fortress type battles, with Grand Companies being your factions (IE horde vs alliance) and adding pvp only abilities, gear, ranking, etc.

pets finally, he says both tamable and summonable pets will be added along with coinciding jobs for them, but i suppose SMN won't be a job in XIV? I'm confused on the wording of his summoning primals description; it's unclear if only a SMN job can do it or if anyone in that Free Company can do it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:03 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Madisonli wrote:
pets finally, he says both tamable and summonable pets will be added along with coinciding jobs for them, but i suppose SMN won't be a job in XIV? I'm confused on the wording of his summoning primals description; it's unclear if only a SMN job can do it or if anyone in that Free Company can do it.

check the timelines of things, iirc jobs are coming before pets (so im thinking summoner may be added at a later date to coincide with introduction of pets)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:28 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I wonder when a level cap increase falls into all of this. If they aren't planning on raising the cap for a year, we may have some decent type to really beef up all of our classes before the cataclysm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:04 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

While this all looks great... I really do not think i can stomach paying a monthly fee for a game which still is not ready to be released. It will be fucking epic when it is released... but until then i guess it is diablo and star wars for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:48 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Once again this sounds kick ass.

Should we start the "Square Cycle of Disappointment"?

1) Update Details Announce. Information is vauge but sounds seriously kick ass
2) More information posted as it gets closer and sounds even more interesting. Hopes are set to high!
3) Update date announced and delayed
4) Update is live. Small changes are made at the last minute rendering the update usless.
5) Repeat steps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:12 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Yarr wrote:
2) More information posted as it gets closer and sounds even more interesting. Hopes are set to high!

There's your problem right there...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:19 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:30 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I've decided to analyse this screenshot a bit more closely. Posting it again for reference.

• This actually seems to be an interface-less screenshot that has then been heavily drawn/painted/photoshopped on top of.

Everything in the picture, including the area, are items/models that are known to be in the game (that monster is in the game dats) or likely already created (AF Armor Models for upcoming jobs).

The grass is just as sparse, and made up of blocky looking 2d billboards just as usual. You wouldn't draw that in a mockup.

The "lighting" is what makes the picture look so much better. This is likely painted/photoshopped on top of the screenshot on a layer underneath the interface mockup layer.
  • This makes the interface, yes, a complete mockup. However, there's nothing in the interface that seems impossible or even unlikely for a full game. Assuming they kept the assets used to make this picture they could even port it rather quickly.
  • The player character's name is Delita, not Bravewind. Bravewind is his title.

The font Bravewind is written in is the same as the title's above Kain and Yuffie, rather than the character name font.

The HP/MP/TP shown at the bottom of the screen are the same as Delita's in the party list.

This also explains why there are 8 players in the party list. If Bravewind was a name, this would be 8 + Bravewind = 9 players. Instead, it is 8 players including the player character himself, 7 + Delita.
  • The timers above the party list refer to the status effects on the player at the top of the list, yourself. The personal status effects and the party list are combined. I also like the way it seems to put similar things in the same column. Hopefully this goes by when it was casted so you can easily tell when other people's status effects will wear off.
  • Given that Delita is a Paladin in the screenshot, and his "red bar" is the largest, it is likely that the red bars on the party list are actually enmity meters for the whole party.
  • Each party member seems to have both a number (1-8) and a letter designation. THe numbers are shown on both the party list and above the player themselves. This is likely a way to quickly identify them for hitting macro keys for healing? E.g.: Hit Cure then 3 to cure member 3.

The letters possibly refer to the roles they have in the party? This is a complete guess but the Paladin and Warrior both seem to have "T" (Tank?). Vivi (assumedly a black mage) is "C" (Caster?), Agrias could be a "H" Healer? Can't think what else this is. If they were all simply A B C i'd say they were split into sub-groups.
  • There are small colored dots in the bottom right corner. Though I see no indication that there are actually other people around, this could be some kind of HP/Status summary of alliance/raid groups/parties?
  • The chocobo apparently has a linkpearl. Good for him. It's worth pointing out that Boco takes up one of the available party slots. We can only assume that Boco is AI/automated or perhaps influenced with actions by his owner. There are no buttons on the screen to suggest this is the case though, but it's a mockup and could easily have been forgotten about.

Either way, due to the way it uses a slot, it's likely that they intend for you to call a Chocobo like that to fill up a party slot in situations where you're one member down.
  • The boss is a Chimera, using a 3D model that is already in the game dats.

The boss also has additional HP bars, one floating underneath each of his wings. The boss himself is numbered 1, while his wings are oddly numbered 1 and 6. This would have made more sense if they were numbered 1 2 3.
  • Speaking of HP bars, the boss/target HP bar at the top of the screen has one of those red "combo damage" sections, so you can see how much damage the group just made in one go. FF12 did this on it's boss meters too.
  • If you look very closely at the target cursor (on the Chimera, not his name) you'll see that there's actually a distance meter. It says 4.2.
  • There are actually 6 action bars. You can see 6 small blips (with one lit up) near the action bar selection arrows. The mini action bar above it is likely to be some kind of fixed shortcut action bar that stays visible regardless of which bar is selected. I'd personally rather they just let us put actions everywhere, but hey this is just a mockup.
  • Some of the items on the action bar have little cogs on them. I'm not sure these refer to existing actions because the TP costs are incorrect (Phalanx II says 1000). These cogs could indicate macros. I recall SE saying you'd be able to attach macros directly to your action bar in future.
  • Incase you didn't spot it, there are potions on the action bar (Slot 9) and a lot of them (x142). Hopefully this means it'll be economically viable to use potions instead of healers like you can in classic FF games.
  • No idea what E N E M Y means at the bottom of the screen. Could just be a visual indicator that you're in battle with an enemy? Who knows, the japanse are funny about using very literal terms for stuff (shine get!).
  • Icons at the bottom of the screen. These look like they might be:

Top Row: Player, Search, Party, Social, ? , Mail, Raid/Alliance?, GM/Support Desk? "XIV" Main Menu?
    Bottom Row: Active/Battle Mode, Movement/Run/Walk?, Inventory, Star?, Quests, Notifications?, Another Star?, Map, Whirlpool?, House/Home
  • The battle log. Lots of improvements here in the name of improving readability. Such as names being abbreviated to just Firstname + Initial. Various icons and general coloring of things to help make it easy to read during a fast battle.

The chat log looks like it has "tabs" underneath. Looks like the tab would keep track of missed/unread messages. This would be good for tells and party chat and stuff. Though I hope they keep multiple chat logs too.
  • The combat UI looks a little crowded, however the picture is only in 720p, the resolution the PS3 version is likely to run at. Most people have much larger resolutions on their PC monitors, so I wouldn't worry about overcrowding of the UI.
  • And finally, let us not forget that SE have said the new UI will be moddable by players!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:11 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Ketrebu wrote:
The boss also has additional HP bars, one floating underneath each of his wings. The boss himself is numbered 1, while his wings are oddly numbered 1 and 6. This would have made more sense if they were numbered 1 2 3.

There is an imp, and a bogy there behind his wings.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:14 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Any speculation what the dots are in the bottom right hand corner?

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements