It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:29 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: About the World Merge and Character Transfers (02/09/2012)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

In order to improve the player experience, we will be merging Worlds on Tuesday, March 27, 2012.

To ensure that the World merge is fair for all players, server transfers will be required for all existing characters. Players must select a new post-merge World for their characters, and will be reassigned automatically should they not do so by the established deadline. We urge you all to review the World Merge Summary and Notes Regarding the World Merge.

Read on for more details on the World merge and character transfers.

Post subject: About the World Merge and Character Transfers (02/09/2012)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

In order to improve the player experience, we will be merging Worlds on Tuesday, March 27, 2012. After the merge is completed, there will be a total of ten Worlds, down from the current eighteen.

To ensure that the World merge is fair for all players, character transfers will be required for all existing characters. Players must select a new post-merge World for their characters, and will be reassigned automatically should they not do so by the established deadline. We urge you all to review the World Merge Summary and the Notes Regarding the World Merge.

This World merge is intended to improve the player experience during the period up to the launch of FFXIV Version 2.0. New Worlds may be added in the future, for example after the relaunch or when player numbers increase.
[World Merge Summary]

Key Dates
March 1 (Thursday) to March 19 (Monday), 2012: Character transfer selection period. *
March 27 (Tuesday), 2012: World merge maintenance to be carried out.

Information regarding the time required for the merge maintenance process and other details will be released at a later date.
* The character transfer selection period will consist of two stages. For details, see Selecting a Transfer Destination below.

Details of the Merge
The current eighteen Worlds will be reorganized into ten, and existing characters will be transferred into the ten new Worlds.

Before
Cornelia
Kashuan
Gysahl
Mysidia
Istory
Figaro
Wutai
Trabia
Lindblum
Besaid
Selbina
Rabanastre
Bodhum
Melmond
Palamecia
Saronia
Fabul
Karnak
After
New World 01
New World 02
New World 03
New World 04
New World 05
New World 06
New World 07
New World 08
New World 09
New World 10 *
* World recommended for
German/French-speaking players

New World 10 is recommended for German and French-speaking players. German and French-speakers form a minority within the total player population, and this should improve their playing experience and make it easier for them to get together and form parties. However, it is a recommendation only. The World will not be restricted to German and French speakers, and players from other regions are free to transfer to the World.

* The new Worlds shall inherit the names of the ten most popular current Worlds. Name assignments will be announced after the transfer selection period has ended.

Selecting a Transfer Destination
During the transfer selection period indicated below, players will be able to select a destination World on the World Transfer Application Page. Players who do not select a destination World during this period will be automatically distributed across the Worlds.
* The World Transfer Application Page is scheduled to be available from March 1.

Transfer destination selection period: From 8:00 GMT, March 1 (Thursday) to 7:59 GMT, March 19 (Monday), 2012.
* Transfer selection period will consist of a first and second stage.

First Stage: From 8:00 GMT, March 1 (Thursday) to 7:59 GMT, March 12 (Monday), 2012.
- Players will still be able to change their destinations, even after making a selection.
* Players will not be able to select Worlds that have already been filled. Players can, however, move from Worlds that have been filled to other Worlds.

Second Stage: From 8:00 GMT, March 12 (Monday) to 7:59 GMT, March 19 (Monday), 2012.
- Worlds that have been filled will be locked, and players in these Worlds will not be able to transfer to other Worlds.

Restrictions on selecting a destination
To select a destination, an existing playable character must be associated with a player’s service account. As long as a player has at least one usable character, a destination World may be chosen for all characters in the service account, including characters that have not yet been paid for.
* To view and change your subscription details, visit the Square Enix Account Management System and click Select Service on the left-hand menu, and then select FINAL FANTASY XIV.

Notes Regarding the World Merge
All character details will be transferred, with the exceptions described below.

Character Names
After the merge, if two or more characters with the same first and last name exist in the same World, only one character can keep the name, based on the order of priority below.

1. Characters that are playable on both March 26 (Monday) and March 27 (Tuesday), 2012.
2. Characters that were created first.

If your character name must be changed because another character's name takes priority, please do so by following the on-screen instructions when you first log in after the World merge.
* After you enter a new name for the character, the change will also be reflected on the Lodestone.

With this World merge, all character names that were kept after participation in the previous Open Beta test will be deleted.

Retainer Names
If retainers with the same name exist in the same World, only one of the retainers can continue using the name, based on the same conditions described above for player characers.

If you are required to change the name, please do so by following the on-screen instructions when you first log in after the World merge.

About Linkshells
Linkshells will not be carried over to the new World. They will be deleted automatically during the merge
* Linkshell community pages on the Lodestone will no longer be accessible after the merge.

Because linkshells will be deleted, you may lose contact with linkshell members. However, your Lodestone follow list will survive the World merge unchanged, so we recommend that players who want to stay in touch follow each other before the merge takes place.
* The "follow" will persist even if the character's name is changed.
* You can follow characters through the linkshell list or via each character's own page.
 Players will be able to follow characters through the linkshell list starting today, February 9.

Friend List/Blacklist
All friend list and blacklist data will be deleted during the merge.

Character Info on the Lodestone
The World name displayed in character pages, diaries, and histories (including finished histories) will change to the new World name after the merge. If the character name changes, that will also be updated.

New Subscriptions during the World Merge
Players are free to create new FINAL FANTASY XIV Service Accounts and new characters during the merge period. However, depending on the timing of the new subscription/new character creation, players may not be able to select a destination World.

1. Until 7:59 GMT, March 19 (Tuesday), 2012
After subscribing and creating a new character, follow the steps above to apply for a transfer to a World. If you do not apply for a transfer, the character will be automatically allocated to a World.

2. From 8:00 GMT, March 19 (Tuesday), 2012, until the World merge maintenance is completed
Because the World transfer application period is over, you will not be able to select a destination World. Characters created during this period will be automatically allocated to one of the new Worlds. If you wish to avoid being automatially assigned to a new World, we suggest that you create your character after the World merge maintenance is completed.

Post subject: Re: About the World Merge and Character Transfers (02/09/201
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:22 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

WOAH

Unless they change their stance on this (or it's horribly worded wrong) it means that if you do not have a currently active character, you can NOT pick your own merge world, and will be placed onto a random one.

Unless you're going to be allowed to change worlds yourself in 2.0 (probably not worth the risk simply hoping that this will be the case) you're pretty much forced to pay for March if you want to make sure you end up on the same world as everyone else in the LS. Unless you're okay with starting a brand new character when 2.0 hits.

Additionally, any people who had two linkshells are going to have a big choice problem if said linkshells want to go to different worlds.

No response from SE over the huge forum uproar yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:13 am 
Spammer, to the max!

this is already a shit show with everyone lol. and i highly doubt people who dont play will reactivate just to transfer to world x in a game they dont want to play anyway heh, this really kills the chance of inactives of ever coming back (unless 2.0 is a raging success to the point they'll A reroll, or B just play on whatever random server they were dumped onto).

no clue what server im going to yet, the following idea is starting to get spread around lodestone forums:

Istory -> 1story
Lindblum -> 1indblum
Figaro -> 4garo
Fabul -> 4bul
Mysidia -> 3ysidia
Melmond -> 3elmond
Wutai -> 3utai
Selbina -> 5elbina
Saronia -> 5aronia
Gysahl -> 6sahyl
Trabia -> 7rabia
Besaid -> 8esaid
Bodhum -> 8odhum
Cornelia
Kashuan
Karnak
Rabanastre
Palamecia

Last edited by Rubyxiii on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:41 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Wow...

That does put a lot of us in a curious situation. I really don't want to reactivate right now, but I also would hate to someday want to play the game again, but be stuck on some random server. Hmm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:42 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I never thought about different LS from Trabia jumping to different worlds. I don't have any friends in FFXIV outside of CKD/Monarchy, so i'll go to wherever they go.

I guess i'll reactivate for a month in March. There is no way I am starting over when 2.0 comes out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Ahh, just when I thought Trendy Entertainment was starting to make Square Enix look smart...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:23 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I wouldn't be surprised if they dont do or announce something within the next couple of days or so in regards to this stupid idea, their forums are going up in flames right now on both the english and japanese sides.

Why they couldn't just do what, well, every other MMO in existance does (Servers A and B will both become server C, etc) I have no idea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:34 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Maybe they are hoping people will pay for a month specificially to get more revenue. Either way, Kitty and I have decided to not pay to transfer servers, as that'll help solidify the idea of not coming back. lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:03 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
Why they couldn't just do what, well, every other MMO in existance does (Servers A and B will both become server C, etc) I have no idea.

That makes too much sense Ket.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:34 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I think chimps are running the show.

No way in F i am paying to pick a server. I want to come back for 2.0 but if they make me choose like this, they can kiss it. Idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:29 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/37151-About-the-World-Merge-and-Character-Transfers-(02-09-2012)?p=547044&viewfull=1#post547044

Quote:
Hello! This is Producer/Director Yoshida.

Thank you for the large amount of feedback in regards to the world merge.

I’ve been reading through each of your posts (as well as Twitter) and I’m sorry my post is really late. A world merge at this current point in time, as well as being something of great magnitude for all of you players, it is at the same time something of great magnitude on the development and operations side.

I would like to follow up on the released specifications for the world merge.

Intent of the World Merge

I believe that MMORPGs are made up of large connections between the entire game community and the communities within each world. For MMORPGs, there are a lot of instances where you form parties and play, so because of this the community requires the proper number of players to be able to accomplish this. As we head toward 2.0, we began billing and we had a pretty good grasp on the number of people that would play the game. We predicted that conditions would arise on worlds where it would be difficult to establish a community, which is why we proceeded with the preparations for a world merge.

Of all of the comments that were against this world merge, the one comment seen most often was “don’t destroy the community!” However, just the same as all of you, the development and operations team and I consider “community” to be the highest priority. This is how we engaged in a discussion about the world merge specifications.

With that said, first let me say that our underlying feelings are in the same place.
Especially with this merge, we felt very strongly to make it so everyone from the EU region can play together in the same time zone.

(By the way, there seems to have been some conjectures about financial aspects and what not; however, we had already been operating with 18 worlds, meaning that the game server hardware and database servers we already purchased. By stopping 8 worlds, there is a near zero affect and there is not a single motive having to do with cost, so please don’t think this is the case.)

Reasoning for the Announcement of the Specifications

A large reason why we announced the specifications early was to be able to see your feedback once we released the development and operation team’s specifications. World merges are an extremely delicate topic and we need to flesh out the specific details of the specifications, so we decided it wasn’t suitable for a survey and put a stop to the idea. (It would be near impossible to gather the appropriate responses by offering a survey with methods like: A, A1, A2, B, B1, B2)

Due to this, we released the specifications early to give ourselves time to make adjustments based on feedback. I am very sorry that I was so late to follow up on this as I crashed from a high fever until this evening.

There have been comments from Foxclon, but even internally there have been heated debates about the world merge between the development, operations, and QA teams. I will be honest in saying that up until the last minute there was no plan that everyone agreed on. (The reason for this being that every plan had its own set of pros and cons)

The 4 plans that stayed prominent throughout the discussions are the 4 listed below.
(A=World with high population of players, B=World with low population of players, C=New World, X=Different World)

①A + B⇒A World to merge with B World
②A + B - X ⇒A World to merge with B World, except people that would like to move are able to choose a different World
③A + B - C ⇒A World to merge with B World, except people that would like to move are able to choose to go to C World
④Prepare 10 Worlds, set a limit, and give everyone the power to move their characters to a World of their choice.

There were many others as well but I eliminated them.

Of these, after thinking very carefully, we decided to prepare an announcement for ④.

The Intentions of Going with Option ④

After weighing the pros and cons of each option day and night, I finally decided to go with option ④. The biggest deciding factor for this decision was me believing in the strong bond within the community.

We thought that by giving the community plenty of time before the application period, each community would come together and discuss their destinations.

Of course, we considered the players who do not login as often as others.

Discuss Period + Selection Period A (Decision Can be Changed) + Selection Period B (Decision Can Not be Changed)

With the long time frame that was provided, I believed it was enough time for a majority of the communities to agree on a World. Another reason we decided to not reveal the World names is because we wanted everyone to decide on a World purely based on what the community wants instead of having the World name getting in the way of making that decision.

We knew that the World names will be a huge factor in deciding what World you will be going to. By hiding the World names, we thought that we would be able to avoid flooding specific Worlds and provide each community a chance to spread out without losing anyone. (I assume this is one of the reasons why the community complains that the devs always makes the wrong decision…)

We also provided a World recommended for German/French-speaking players in order to make it easy for the German/French community to gather together.

Furthermore, no matter what option we decide to go with, we knew we weren’t able to satisfy every customer. If that was the case, we thought it would be the best way to go if we gave the players the freedom to choose. Because there were no World Merges like this in the past, we had a really difficult time finalizing the specifications of the merge. On a side note, we also have plans to implement a system within The Lodestone wherein players will be able to track what players transferred to what Worlds (as Foxclon mentioned before).

The Cons of Option ④

The reason why I had a hard time choosing Option ④ was because of the following factors.

A: Players who belong to multiple communities might end up being torn apart by having to decide which community they will follow.
B: The option will cause stress on all players instead of causing stress on a number of players.
C: Players who decide to come back to the game after the merger will end up on a brand new World and no longer be able to player with friends.

Both the QA team and I though factor A was the biggest problem of them all.

Factor B may not be as bad because we provided everyone the freedom to choose a destination.

Factor C also may not be as bad because we have no idea when these players will return to the game and if they do, it would be most likely with 2.0. With 2.0, we had plans to implement a World Transfer Service so we believed that should be able to address this problem.

Why We Didn't Go With Option ①~③

Option ① would be the most straight forward option and also it’s also the option that we can execute with the least cost. However, this option was most likely not a viable option for the French/German players. Also, we believed it was too forceful to merge the Worlds based on population as it might also cause a lot of stress for the destination World. Overall, this would be the safest way to go.

With option ②, players will be given the option to transfer to another World. However, if there ends being too many players who would want to transfer over to that World, it might end up going over the set capacity and overflow the World. Since we won’t know the results would be like until the actual we see the actual results, we would end up taking a huge risk.

In addition, if a player belongs to multiple communities, they might end up being torn apart by having to decide which community they will follow (probably not be as bad as ④).

Option ③ is a twist on option ②. We put a lot of focus on the French/German players.
However, even this option might end up with not enough players wanting to transfer to the new World or too many non- French/German players that might want to transfer to the new World and prevent some French/German players from moving with their community.

I personally was deciding between option ② and option ④ until the last minute and finally decided to go with option ④.

Until the World Merge Occurs

As I mentioned originally, the World Merge will be a huge event for the whole community.
I’m trying my best to be open with you by provide you specifications via topic posts and forum posts, yet it still seems to be not enough. I apologize for not being able to provide a clear explanation for everyone.

We will continue to perform internal discussions based on the feedback we have received. As I mentioned before, we want to perform the World Merge to “Move Forward in FFXIV.” In no way did I have any intentions of breaking the “bond” between you and your friends, nor break the “bond” between you and the development team.

Once again, I would like to apologize for not being able to provide a clear explanation for everyone. The only thing I would like to ask of you is to keep your feedback constructive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 am 

Quote:
Factor C also may not be as bad because we have no idea when these players will return to the game and if they do, it would be most likely with 2.0. With 2.0, we had plans to implement a World Transfer Service so we believed that should be able to address this problem.

"We doubt we can convince you to come back before 2.0, so we're going to make you pay now or make sure you don't want to come back until 2.0"

Fucking. Brilliant.

I was pretty interested in checking out the next patch when it went live, but this Tanaka level retardation makes it hard to even want to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:12 am 
Spammer, to the max!

i'm really hoping 1.21 drops before the merge decision lockout hits. timeline-wise it should actually happen. 1.21 sounds like its bringing a ton of new stuff to do.

also, it seems the 7rabia idea is pretty popular among the trabia community, we still all have some time before the decision can be made but its looking like most people from our server are gonna go to 7.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:00 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

FYI, Yoshi has posted that they're going to backpeddle on "option 4" and go for "option 2" (but keeping the "merit" from option 4, whatever that means) instead.

Option 2 was the one that made the most sense, where everyone on World A + B will go to World C, but you have the *option* of going to a new server if you wish. He also said something about posting the population count/limits on various worlds so people who wish to move know which servers are viable, or something like that.

Japanese post and rough translation:

Quote:
プロデューサ/ディレクタの吉田です。
Producer/Director Yoshida here,

皆さん、多数のポストありがとうございます。
全リージョンの関連するスレッドにも目を通させて頂いています。
今回の件については、コミュニティ全体に対して、非常に大きな動揺を与えてしまい、申し訳なく思っています。
Thank you for many comments/posts.
I have looked through related threads in all region; I apologize for causing a major stir to the community with this issue.

現状、開発/運営チームでは、非常にフィードバックの多い②案を更に調整し、
④案のメリットも生かしたものにできないか、
皆さんのフィードバックを参考にさせて頂きつつ、検討を重ねています。
技術的な確認事項、スケジュールの確認もあるため、恐縮ではありますが、
このまま週末に突入し、週明けまでお時間を頂けると助かります。
We are currently looking into making it possible to go by plan #2 which received many feadbacks and keep the merit from plan number 4. We need to check and verify the technical side and schedule so please give us until beginning of next week.

トピックスについては、一時取り下げも検討しましたが、
仕様が見えなくなると、話し合いの際に、内容齟齬の可能性があるため、
少なくとも週明けまでは、このままとさせていただきます。
We thought of bringing down the topic on the topics section but if we take it down when people talk about this there might be issue where wrong information is given so we would like to keep it at least till beginning of next week.

繰り返しにはなりますが、現段階で非常に大きな懸念の声を挙げられている方が、
多数いらっしゃる中で、ワールド統合を強行するつもりはありませんので、
その点は重ねてご理解頂けますよう、宜しくお願い致します。
This is repeating what was mentioned before but at current timing there are few saying we are forcing this server merge but please understand that we are not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:49 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Corwin wrote:
Ahh, just when I thought Trendy Entertainment was starting to make Square Enix look smart...

lol Yeah I thought about that game too.

Whisp wrote:
I think chimps are running the show.

No way in F i am paying to pick a server. I want to come back for 2.0 but if they make me choose like this, they can kiss it. Idiots.

Well SE really BLEW IT! and I can't or even come back anymore due to my irl is too busy with kids and wife also work as well so I can't play this game anymore.. I am done!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:27 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm glad they are going to go with #2. It basically is #4 without requiring people to pay for a month subscription just to transfer servers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:47 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah good move with # 2, that made the most sense. # 4 was pretty much the worst idea ever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:58 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Plan #2 was so logical, if people wanted to create faux regional servers, the forums would have decided that amongst themselves without dev input by means of the optional self transfer.

I'm a little bewildered why this came as such a sudden surprise to the people who frequent the forums. Yoshi and the com reps have only been saying this was their plan for months and months and asked for feedback and no one squeaked a word. Actually I find this to be quite common. Dev asks for feedback, gets ignored, goes forward with plan, reannounces plan as finalized for next patch, forums explode with anger.

Hopefully they change to plan 2, plan 4 kinda had the same feeling that my character was being held hostage for a ransom of $10. (cue Yoshi with a pinky finger to his sinister grin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:18 am 

Kioko wrote:
Plan #2 was so logical, if people wanted to create faux regional servers, the forums would have decided that amongst themselves without dev input by means of the optional self transfer.

I'm a little bewildered why this came as such a sudden surprise to the people who frequent the forums. Yoshi and the com reps have only been saying this was their plan for months and months and asked for feedback and no one squeaked a word. Actually I find this to be quite common. Dev asks for feedback, gets ignored, goes forward with plan, reannounces plan as finalized for next patch, forums explode with anger.

Hopefully they change to plan 2, plan 4 kinda had the same feeling that my character was being held hostage for a ransom of $10. (cue Yoshi with a pinky finger to his sinister grin)

Probably because most people are like me. We generally scan the boards for the occasional interesting tidbit, but we really don't dive into it that deeply. The first I heard of this plan for the mergers was when it got posted to the lodestone front page.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:44 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Corwin wrote:
Probably because most people are like me. We generally scan the boards for the occasional interesting tidbit, but we really don't dive into it that deeply. The first I heard of this plan for the mergers was when it got posted to the lodestone front page.

This is exactly why they need to do more player polls before making major changes. I always feel that the NA and probably the EU groups as well are extremely under represented despite being very vocal about their desires and criticism. Only ever are the Japanese members addressed.
At least with a poll you get a general gist of things outside of the language barrier.

We were supposed to get a third player poll soonish, I hope they're not dull enough to limit it to paying customers only.

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements