It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: Special Talk Session Video Now Live! (09/07/2012)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:00 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

We are pleased to inform you that a subtitled video of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Special Talk Session, held during the FINAL FANTASY 25th Anniversary event, is now available for your viewing pleasure. Proceed to the video!

We recommend players watch the video before the broadcast of the Letter from the Producer LIVE Part III.

Check out the details of the Letter from the Producer LIVE Part III.

Post subject: Re: Special Talk Session Video Now Live! (09/07/2012)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:50 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The gameplay footage looks amazing. I saw a few people crying on the official forums about it...which is why I don't read the official forums.

Servers overseas! USA and EU gonna have their own servers so we aren't doomed by JPN server lag. That is awesome.

I hope this works out for them and brings in more new players and $$. I would really like to see this game succeed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:26 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

So North American servers? Does this mean we dont get integrated into the Japanese servers unless we choose too?

I like the loss of lag, but having JP/EN/NA server was always part of unique FF charm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:47 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

They're not being entirely specific about it, what they ought to just say is "regional servers" but instead they keep saying regional data centers. That implies that they intend to do *clustering* which is a massive undertaking, and a logistical and programming nightmare, but I guess is technically possible.

E.g. The server exists in both NA *AND* Japan, you connect to your nearest one when possible, and the data centers talk between each other to keep everything in sync. The server would let get battles be handled by different data centers depending who's fighting what and which server is closer to the people in that battle. Everyone gets fast response times, with only a little bit of lag when people from different regions play together.

I'd be mighty impressed if they pull that off, because I don't know of any game that does it. It's reserved for failover clustering and load balancing of massive database servers where data arriving in 1 second instead of 50ms isn't that big of a big deal. But a game needs that super fast link all the time.

I could also just be thinking too hard and they're just regional servers. They did say all the server names would stay the same though, and it seems weird to suddenly just dedicate someone's server to another region and make everyone go through transfers again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:21 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

ug, Clustering is a pain in the ass and I speak from experiance. We do a lot of that at work for our file servers and thats a hell of a lot easier than what Square is looking at doing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

they did say regional servers are coming. is it also possible that instances could be hosted on a server elsewhere than your native one? for example the regular day to day server is in japan but if you go to a dungeon with all na group that instance is hosted in the us. on cell phone too lazy to use shift.

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements