It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements

Post subject: Changes to Existing Items and the Monetary System in FINAL F
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:20 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

As we transition from the game’s current version to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn, existing game content will be undergoing a number of changes. This post will detail such changes coming to items and the monetary system.

Read on for the details.

Post subject: Changes to Existing Items and the Monetary System in FINAL F
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:20 am 
Square Enix
Square Enix

As we transition from the game’s current version to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn, existing game content will be undergoing a number of changes. This post will detail such changes coming to items and the monetary system.
Due to extensive changes made to the battle and other major game systems, existing items and the monetary system will be rebalanced in FINAL FANTASY XIV: ARR.

Note: Company seals and items not explicitly mentioned in this post will not be changed. However, the methods for obtaining these items in FFXIV: ARR may be different.

The planned changes are detailed below.

Changes to the Monetary System
Upon the release of FFXIV: ARR, we will be removing one zero from all gil prices, in a process known as Currency Redenomination.

1. All NPC vendor buying/selling prices will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
2. All quest rewards, monster drops, and in-game monetary rewards will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
3. All repair costs, airship fares, and other in-game service fees will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
4. Because of changes to game systems, the prices of existing items will change to varying degrees.
5. The maximum amount of gil that a player can possess will not change from 999,999,999.
6. The amount of gil required to obtain certain achievements will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
7. All gil currently held by players will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.

Example: A player carrying 100,000 gil will only possess 10,000 gil upon release of FFXIV: ARR. However, a chocobo rental fee of 800 gil will be reduced to 80 gil, and an NPC previously selling an item for 1,500 gil will sell the same item for 150 gil. The effective purchasing power of your savings will not change.

Due to rebalancing, the price of some items, rewards and services may not be reduced to exactly 1/10 of their current values. The above should only be considered general guidelines for the changes.

Purpose of Currency Redenomination
When the current version of FFXIV was first designed, we were forced to inflate item prices to properly balance the prices for consumable items, such as arrows and fishing lures.* This is no longer necessary, as this type of consumable item will not be used in FFXIV: ARR.

*1 The price of one arrow was originally indexed against the cost of one sword at a rate of 1 to 1000. For example, if a gladius were priced at 200 gil, the equivalent level warped arrows would be priced at 0.2 gil each. However, because decimal pricing is not possible, prices would have to be rounded to the nearest whole number, rendering it comparatively expensive to be an archer. This problem was addressed by increasing all item prices by a factor of ten.

In conjunction with the removal of player-operated bazaars in FFXIV: ARR, all items and gil in player bazaars at the time the servers go down will be returned to player inventories. This includes gil which is being offered in the ‘seek item’ section of a bazaar. Because of this, it is possible that the resulting gil total may exceed the limit of 999,999,999. Therefore, this change also ensures that players will not lose any gil.

That said, this currency redenomination is primarily intended to reduce the excessively large values used in all transactions. We would like to reiterate that the effective purchasing power of your savings will not be reduced.

Crystals
Players can currently hold a maximum of 9,999 crystals of a single type, and this limit will not change. However, because player-operated bazaars will be closed, crystals subsequently returned to player inventories may cause them to exceed this limit. In this event, any excess crystals will be automatically converted to gil.

Players can remove crystals from their bazaar or transfer them to a retainer, if they wish to keep their excess crystals.

Inventory Limits
Player inventory capacity will be reduced to the original 100 slots.

Excess items will not be lost. These items will be temporarily transferred to a special NPC. Items returned from player bazaars will also be transferred to this NPC, if their inventories are full. However, crystals returned from player bazaars to their inventories will be converted to gil automatically, if they exceed the 9,999 per type limit.

Once players make room in their inventories, they can speak to this special NPC to reclaim their items. Please note that this NPC will only return items and will not accept additional items for storage.

Players will not be charged for this service.

Player and retainer inventory capacity will be adjusted as follows:

Current FFXIV: ARR
Player 200 100
Retainer 150 175

Player Bazaar 10 0
Retainer Bazaar 10 20

* Players will be unable to operate bazaars in FFXIV: ARR.
* Items equipped by players will not count towards the 100 item inventory limit.
* The maximum amount of gil, crystals, and grand company seals that can be held by players and retainers will not change.

Example: Player carrying 175 items in inventory.
Current version
→ 175 of 200 inventory slots in use.
FFXIV: ARR
→ 100 of 100 inventory slots in use (75 items over limit).
→ Player can speak to the special NPC to reclaim their remaining 75 items.

Armoire
Items currently stored in armoires can be retrieved as normal upon release of FFXIV: ARR.

Items Removed from Game
The following items will be removed from player inventories.

Guild Marks
Guild Treatises
Key Items

Players are advised to exchange all guild marks and treatises before November 1st, 2012. Upon release of FFXIV: ARR, it will also no longer be possible to receive guild mark refunds for previously purchased abilities.

Special abilities and access to content obtained through key items will not be revoked. Player progress will be tracked through alternative systems.

Example: Chocobo whistles will be removed from game, but players in possession of one will retain the ability to summon their chocobo.

At this time, we cannot comment on how changes to game systems will affect each and every item. However, rest assured that we are dedicated to preserving fairness and equality between players who have obtained these key items and players who have not.

Example: In FFXIV: ARR, all players will have unrestricted access to the city-state aethernets, which will render aetherpasses obsolete. Players already in possession of these passes will receive 40,000 gil in compensation (as per the redenomination, 1/10 of the original purchase price). Players who purchased the aetherpasses with company seals will be recompensed in gil.

Players in possession of the goobbue horn, which is no longer obtainable as of patch 1.23a, will retain the ability to summon the goobbue mount. The mount will remain unobtainable in FFXIV: ARR.

Items Converted to Gil
The following items will be automatically converted to gil. The exchange rate will be calculated based on current NPC vendor prices and reduced to 1/10 of their current prices in accordance with the currency redenomination:

Ammunition
Throwing Weapons
Fisher’s Secondary Tools
Fishing Tackle
Lures
* Arrows will no longer be required to use bows upon release of FFXIV: ARR.
* Consumable throwing weapons will be replaced by non-consumable versions.
* Spearfishing will be removed, and the existing fishing system will be changed. Tackles and lures designed for the new system will be introduced.

Items to Become Unobtainable
The following items will become unobtainable:

Dated items
Weathered gear
* Weathered weapons and tools will remain obtainable.
Items obtained through seasonal events
Rewards for achievements that will become unattainable in FFXIV: ARR, such as the Dalamud horn
Items obtained through events associated with the coming of the Seventh Umbral Era, such as over-aspected clusters

Items to Become Untradable
The following items will become untradable:

Dated items
Weathered gear

Items to Become Unsellable
The following items will become unsellable:

Items obtained through seasonal events that are priced below 10 gil by NPC vendors

Smallclothes
Smallclothes will be changed from race-specific to gender-specific. All existing smallclothes will be converted to this new format. Well-worn smallclothes will be merged with similar items.

This change will allow us to create more unique designs for all races, as well as equalize market prices.

Hempen Undershirt
Hempen Chestband
Hempen Undersleeves
Hempen Camise
Hempen Singlet

Male Undershirt

* Under these guidelines, a hempen undershirt held by a male player will be automatically converted to a male undershirt.

Gear Dyeing
Players will be able to dye gear multiple times.
Gear colors will no longer be included in item names, and gear with different colors will display the same item name.

Woolen Turban (Purple)
Woolen Turban (Red)
Woolen Turban (Green)

Woolen Turban

* Under these guidelines, a woolen turban (purple) in a player’s inventory will be automatically renamed a woolen turban.

Gear color will be indicated by icons as follows:

CURRENT

Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets (White) Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets (Red) Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets (Green) Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets (Blue)

FFXIV: ARR
Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets Heavy Darksteel Gauntlets

Aside from color, special attributes included in item names will not be changed.

Examples: Woolen turban of casting, woolen turban of intelligence

Additionally, players will not be able to dye the following items:
Waist gear
* Waist gear will no longer be visible in FFXIV: ARR. See below for details.
Dated gear, weathered gear, swimsuits
* These items, while containing colors in their names, have never been dyeable by players. There are currently no plans to alter their icon graphics and names, but this is subject to change.

Waist Gear
Waist gear will no longer be visible in FFXIV: ARR.

We have concluded that displaying waist gear separately not only limits the ability of our artists to create new designs, but also complicates the methods used to display equipped gear. Therefore, in order to more efficiently create new gear for players to enjoy, we have decided to merge waist gear graphics with matching gear graphics.

Example:
Cobalt plate belt graphics will be added to cobalt cuirass graphics.

Existing waist gear graphics will not be removed from game. However, equipping and removing waist gear will no longer change your character’s appearance.

Recommended Class to Become Required Class
Recommended class will be changed to required class on existing gear.
The majority of gear affected by this change are dated items, which many players continue to wear for aesthetic reasons, despite incurring performance penalties.

In order to preserve this freedom of choice, we are planning to make these items wearable by more, if not all, classes. However, we are still in the process of determining how to best implement these changes.

Recommended level restrictions will still be present in FFXIV: ARR.

Changes to Gear Attributes
The attributes of various gear may be adjusted due to the extensive redesign of the battle system. Rest assured we will do our utmost to minimize the impact upon the effectiveness of any existing gear.

High Quality Items
Currently, high quality items labeled with different numerical modifiers (+1, +2, +3) in the item name have no discernable differences. All these items will be unified under +1.

Obsolete Recipes
All recipes for producing dated and obsolete items will be removed from the game, and it will no longer be possible to craft these items.
* Learn more about content that will be removed from the game.

Post subject: Re: Changes to Existing Items and the Monetary System in FIN
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:23 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Lots of solid info in here. Happy they're finally starting to state "this is how it's going to be" instead of the usual umming-and-arring because they don't want to commit to anything yet.

I like how they have to keep re-iterating that nobody will actually lose any gil. People will cry anyway.

Removing player's ability to open a bazaar (but doubling the capacity of a retainer) seems like an odd choice. There was never really any benefit to it I guess outside of showing off or selling food/etc to party members (or as extra inventory space), but it still seems weird.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Going through the obsolete item list is a fucking trip down memory lane.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:23 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

At first I thought I was going to have tons of money should I ever return, since I have tens of millions of gil squirreled away. Then I read that they were reducing players' cache, too.

Oh well!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

* I'm sure there are a lot of people trying to think of ways to cheat the system and keep their gil or investments at current rates after system changes.

* They're seriously still planning on using the retainer system in v2.0? I'm disappointed.
Complaints:
1) it's really hard to get your retainer into the wards since they're often full
2) i'm selling blacksmith tools in the grocer's ward, that seems wrong, but i have no choice
3) limsa & grid wards aren't used by the community
4) interacting with retainer is slow and seems a waste of time, let alone having to zone and run just to get to them
5) a bunch of retainers in a zone standing there like mannequins seems retarted

* Better start spearfishing for achievements!

* Overall I'm glad they're making most of these changes. But no arrows? Weird. I didn't like that in Diablo 3.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The no arrow thing does seem odd, since crafted arrows was such a big part of 11. I'll be honest, I didn't pay much attention to how it worked in 14. I don't really care about the spear fishing thing, and I'm already forever behind on achievements.

I wonder what they're going to do with the fishing system, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:17 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Whisp wrote:
* Better start spearfishing for achievements!

Yup, thought I had all the 1.0 shit wrapped up now I gotta do this!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:01 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

I hope there are quivers with different effects, that'd be awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:20 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i like that idea. like +10% chance to Stun target. or +Poison. could get overpowered pretty easily.

Board index » Official Lodestone News & Announcements