It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:07 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post subject: Letter from the Producer, XLI (01/23/2013)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:53 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Since the posting script is disabled at the moment, i'll post this one myself.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/59783

Quote:
Hello again to all of you eagerly awaiting FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. Yoshi-P here, ringing in the new year with the forty-first Letter from the Producer.

We've been back in the office for almost three weeks now, and our calendars are already marked full of meetings and deadlines. It won't be long before beta testing begins, and soon after that, the release of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn! Looking at the beta test road map we released last month, the road from beta to release would appear to be a long one, but the testing will be over before you know it. There's not a moment to spare in preparation for release, and the development team will stay at full throttle to make sure we get there.

First things first, let's talk a bit about the beta test. Phase one will begin in February, and we were thrilled to see so many players from around the world signing up to participate. I know the beta test is just around the corner, but I'd like to show you guys a few screen shots to tide you over until then.

Here's the title screen, new and improved with a "beta version" tag. The BGM has been changed as well...another little tidbit to look forward to.

Starting from phase 1, all races will be available for testing, so it's time for roll call! First up is the Hyur Midlander female.

The Hyur Highlander female is also front and center, looking strong and sexy.

Next up is the Elezen male smartly sporting race-specific gear.

The Lalafell looking adorable as always, but don't count them out in PvP.

The Miqo'te male makes his long-awaited debut, fueling fan desires for a new project: Miqo'te Online.

Last but certainly not least is the Roegadyn female, with strength matched only by her beauty.

With all these screen shots, it'd be a shame not to include one of the benchmark. We're still putting the finishing touches on it, so pay no mind to the score.

Although all races will be available from phase one of the beta test, not all customization options will be available. We're putting a lot of work into various options such as hair styles and colors (a whopping 192 shades are being planned!) based on feedback from the alpha test, and everything should be ready by phase three.

[.....]

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn is taking on an unprecedented challenge in the MMO market, and we have not only the support of fans, but also that of our peers in the industry. Taking heart from all this positive energy, we will see the game through to a successful launch and beyond!

See you next time, on the forums, or in the Beta Test!

I trimmed the end of the letter off because it's just about some staff new years trip that's all very japanese culture stuff. Go click the link above if you care to read it.

Btw, for some reason it never occured to me there was going to be a Female Highlander. Have they been in any of the art so far?

Post subject: Re: Letter from the Producer, XLI (01/23/2013)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Since a lot of you probably didn't see this, here's some work in progress Shiva.

The colours are of course not correct. SE have had to later re-confirm that yes, she is modelled "human"-like first and then given icy-shaders later.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/171

Quote:
As the old saying goes, all work and no play makes Fernehalwes a dull boy. On the other hand, all play and no work makes Fernehalwes an unemployed boy, despised (and most likely hunted) by hordes of FINAL FANTASY XIV fans patiently waiting for Beta Test content to be localized. And therein lies the dilemma--how to have fun while desperately trying to remain afloat in this sea of guildleve objective text.

I know! I can sneak over to the design team’s booths and snap never-before-seen pics of scantily clad primals and post them to the Developers’ Blog! Score one for lax security!

(The following images are works-in-progress, and do not fully represent what will appear in-game)

That icy stare...!
That icy hair...!

Could it be...? Nah... It couldn't be... Or could it?

Lady of frost...
Likes her diamonds in dust form...
Name rhymes with “diva”...

Hmmm... Maybe we need a wider angle...

(This is normal map sculpt data created using ZBrush for those of you keeping track)

Better... But how about one more shot of the original artwork, just to make sure...

There we go. Undeniable proof that this can be none other than.........SIREN!

I mean, Shiva!

Fernehalwes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:51 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Female highlanders were one of the first things promised for 2.0, the only art we've seen of them ever made it look like they were ganguro girls...the screen shot makes them look like trannies.
concept art:

I guess they switched to make midlanders look more Asian-esque and highlanders to look more Caucassion-esque.
I kinda wish they stuck more with the concept art though...And my impression could be wrong due to only seeing one screen so far.

The mithra males look really awesome, hope we have a few in our linkshell. Its kinda a shame the galka female will probably never be used, cause they're pretty rad. We need at least one she-hulk volunteer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kioko wrote:
The mithra males look really awesome, hope we have a few in our linkshell.

I'm changing to mithra male. Can't wait to check it out in Beta.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Gridania had new music in the alpha. And now, so does Limsa Lominsa. There are three tracks in here, one is Limsa, while two of them are supposedly La Noscea.

RIP original teaser website music.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So, I like that song and all, but I don't recall the FF14 music being terrible. I'm all for having more music, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:40 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I didn't care much for 1.0 music besides mordhona, garuda, and good king mog. The 2.0 music is all great so far. I really like those La Noscea tracks!!!! I'll be happier to be Lominsan now :p

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:54 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

They could have easily gotten away without changing (or even adding to) any of the 1.0 music for 2.0. The music wasn't bad or anything, but there weren't many stand out tracks in the vanilla game.

I do agree that if anything both Limsa and Ul'dah could have used new music though. Ul'dah's music wasn't the most plesant thing to listen to while you idled in town for hours, and Limsa's music always sounded a bit "too epic" for what amounted to sitting around in town.

Almost the entirety of Square Enix is working on making sure the new FF14 doesn't bomb now though, it stands to reason a bunch of their music staff have nothing better to do than make more music, or at least remix some of the older tracks (the alpha Levequest music is a remix of the final AF quest battle music), and some of it ended up in the game.

What always bothered me is that my favourite vanilla track from the original teaser website, and alpha/beta soundtrack leak, actually ended up being the damn ferry music. Always hoped it be Ishgard (or "new Jeuno" in my head at the time)'s theme or something.

EDIT: I kinda changed my mind a little. It very much bothered me that most of the music in FF14 felt like that the music had been composed before they even really had a game, and then they just picked any old random song from the OST that hadn't been used yet as they needed it.

Very little of FF14's music was "bad", but god damn most of it really didn't "fit".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:58 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Said it before, I'll say it again...really disliked 1.0 music

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:50 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

1.0 music was awful. To branch off on Ket's rant, Uematsu actually did compose all the tracks prior to the game or zones existing. And they were chosen for whatever best fit the area they made.
There was an interview about it once, they just gave him really vague instructions such as "make five battle themes" and nothing more. No characters, zones, or story were developed yet. The original dev team just really wanted to boast that they had music scored by Uematsu, but he had another project to get on to so they had to hurry up the cakes on the entire process.

When the new team came into place, they assigned all the proper avenues, which we're now seeing the results of what a true sound team is supposed to do.

Personally I'll greatly miss Limsa's overly epic sounding city music - it was the only good song in the entire game to me. However, I guess the new soundtrack to the area sounds more appropriate and nautical themed so it's probably for the better. Some of them I could picture large wooden ships or tales of pirates which means it's serving it's purpose even if its not as cool sounding while doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:28 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, I'm clearly out of touch, then. haha. I know that the Gridania forest music was stupid. But I did think that the area around Ul'dah sounded decent. It was calm music. Would have been good music to listen to while casually fishing.

I think I have the v1.0 music downloaded somewhere. I'll have to listen to it again sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

If you listen to the album version of all the FFXIV V1.0 music it sounds a lot fuller and more orchestral. Every time I hear it I think, "this sounds great, they shoulda put it in the game, oh yea they did, it just didn't sound like this."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:52 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Semi off-topic: There was a notice today from SE stating that legacy players won't have their accounts just automatically flagged as beta testers, all legacy players will be e-mailed a beta key.

This means that your e-mail address needs to still be correct on your SE account or you're not going to get it. If you've changed e-mail addresses in the past 2 years, make sure you go update it.

(I assume they're doing it this way because it's possible for non-FF players to join the beta via submitting an application.)

Account System: http://sqex.to/YUH
FAQ on updating e-mail address: http://support.jp.square-enix.com/faqar ... d=612&la=2

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News