It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:08 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post subject: Re: Producer Letter Live V
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:55 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I can count to that!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:15 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VL-PtV_44Q

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:46 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

tehkei wrote:
I have an i7 2.8 and an ATI 5770, my score is going to be Potato.

Don't say that. I have an i5-750 at 3.4 and two 5770 in crossfire. If crossfire isn't supported right away or soonish I will be sad.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:59 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Dmitry wrote:
tehkei wrote:

Don't say that. I have an i5-750 at 3.4 and two 5770 in crossfire. If crossfire isn't supported right away or soonish I will be sad.

which i could do crossfire but my case is too small. I got decent #s, probably runs better on my laptop tbh.

@tehkei: http://t.co/WecFlD8kag #FFXIV Score:6715 1280x720 Medium Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Bump!

I bought a GTX 680, because why not. Upgrade from a GTX 480. Everything else is the same (i7 960 @3.2 GHz). I decided to use the old non-fullscreen benchmark so that the scores would match what I used to have.

Score has gone from 5220 > 7181 on 1080p "Maximum". Average frame rate of 63.333.

If I turn on Occlusion Culling and LOD, I get 8351, with average frame rate of 71.678. 8)

Attachment:
File comment: New Benchmark
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 171.86 KiB | Viewed 871 times ]

(Again, I have no idea why it's even possible to turn those off...)

Main reason I upgraded though was because the GTX 480 is a very hot card, much like the 8800GTX I used to own. While just standing around in Gridania the other day my card was sitting at 90 degrees+ and I was like, hm, yeah, might be a problem in future. I was worried that using an "old" i7 would bottleneck my 2.5 year old PC, but happy to see it doesn't seem to be the case.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So we should be turning those options on, Ket? I notice both yours and Spyder's high scores show up as "custom", and I was curious as to what options were picked to make it that way. I just ran standard windowed maximized when I ran mine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:57 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
Bump!

I bought a GTX 680, because why not. Upgrade from a GTX 480. Everything else is the same (i7 960 @3.2 GHz). I decided to use the old non-fullscreen benchmark so that the scores would match what I used to have.

Score has gone from 5220 > 7181 on 1080p "Maximum". Average frame rate of 63.333.

Main reason I upgraded though was because the GTX 480 is a very hot card, much like the 8800GTX I used to own. While just standing around in Gridania the other day my card was sitting at 90 degrees+ and I was like, hm, yeah, might be a problem in future. I was worried that using an "old" i7 would bottleneck my 2.5 year old PC, but happy to see it doesn't seem to be the case.

Awesomne Ket! I'm curious how much cooler that card will run, and if it will help keep your CPU temps down also. That last card was crazy hot. You will be more than happy with the 680.

And Rid, both of the options Ket mentioned will give you a boost in GPU performance without really sacrificing any graphics. They are a wasteful use of GPU power. Ket had a good explaination of what they actually do in another thread (I'm too lazy to look it up lol). Your score would go even higher if you click those 2 options.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:52 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Two options you should turn on Rid.

Occlusion Culling basically means "don't draw polygons you can't even see".

There's a slight performance hit in regards to the system having to actually work out what you can and can't see each frame, but it's outweighed by the performance gain you get from the graphics card not having to render stuff. There is absolutely no loss of graphical quality. Again, it only removes polygons you cannot see.

I imagine if you have a really slow CPU but a really beefy GPU it might be better to leave this off. But pretty much every other game anywhere does this by default, there's no option, because why would you want to render things you can't see?

LOD, or "Level of Detail", means "use simpler 3d models for things that are far away".

This is a technique games have been using since the very early days. I recall Unreal Tournament being one of the first games I noticed do it.

Imagine today's games, where a 3d model can be made up of anywhere between 30,000 and 300,000 polygons. Now imagine that one of these 3d models is over in the distance, where the character only stands to be 20 pixels tall. Does it really make sense to render all of those thousands of polygons for what amounts to a tiny indistinguishable blob? Of course not.

Instead, the game keeps multiple copies of the 3d models in memory, maybe 3-4 of them. Each copy of the 3d model is made up of less polygons but still retains the same basic shape. When the object gets far enough away from the camera to not be able to notice the difference, it will render one of the more "basic" models instead. Objects really far in the distance, like the one that's only 20 pixels tall, may end up being only 100 polygons instead.

If set up well, this is completely transparent to the player. You'll find every game does this now, it gives you a huge performance boost, allowing you to get more on screen at once by using low-poly models, while still making your 3d models nice and high-detailed if anybody ever looks at them close up.

Anyway, gist of it is: it makes absolutely no sense for these options to be off, ever. Never mind give the player a toggle switch for it. The benchmark "Maximum" setting turns these off for some reason. When you actually play the game, they're gonna be on, so you might as well turn them on. As you can see, it gives my benchmark score almost another 1000 points.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Sweet!

I'm going to turn those on and then run it again and see what I get. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

I bet we could get those numbers higher if we had the turok button turned on. fog 3 feet in front of you \:D/ :popcorn:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:57 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

haha.

Can you imagine trying to make your way around the map and aggroing being mobs before you even see them. Dangerous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:09 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ridere wrote:
haha.

Can you imagine trying to make your way around the map and aggroing being mobs before you even see them. Dangerous

That's happened to me a lot in FFXIV lol. Expecially on my old shitty comp when exploring. When you cross that invisible zone line, and the mobs take a few seconds to pop. Then you realize you are surrounded by level 80 dragons and basilisks that haven't popped due to lag, and you already aggroed one. One shotted.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:21 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It wasn't as huge of a deal, but I do remember having that happen all the time in that little canyon you had to walk through on the way to the good Level 40 levels. It was pretty much just rams and birds, so it wasn't the end of the world by that level, but they'd always pop after I was halfway through it. haha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:37 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Bumped me up to 8814

Spoiler: show
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Benchmark (Exploration)
Tested on:3/21/2013 3:35:00 PM
Score:8814
Average Framerate:74.158
Performance:Extremely High
-Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.

Screen Size: 1920x1080
Screen Mode: Windowed
Graphics Presets: Custom
General
-Improve overall graphic quality. : Enabled
-Disable rendering of objects when not visible. (Occlusion Culling) : Enabled
-Use low-detail models on distant objects to increase performance. (LOD) : Enabled
-Cache LOD data only when necessary. (LOD Streaming) : Disabled
-Smooth edges. (Anti-aliasing) : Enabled
-Increase transparent lighting quality. : Enabled
-Grass Quality : High
Shadows
-Use low-detail models on shadows to increase performance. (LOD) : Disabled
-Display : All
-Shadow Resolution : High: 2048 pixels
-Shadow Cascading : High
-Shadow Softening : High
Texture Detail
-Texture Filtering : High
-Anisotropic Filtering : High
Effects
-Naturally darken the edges of the screen. (Limb Darkening) : Enabled
-Blur the graphics around an object in motion. (Radial Blur) : Enabled
-Effects While in Motion : Display All
-Screen Space Ambient Occlusion : High
-Glare : Normal
Cinematic Cutscenes
-Enable depth of field. : Enabled

System:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
32710.887MB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680(VRAM 4095 MB) 9.18.0013.0697

Benchmark results do not provide any guarantee FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will run on your system.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Website http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com
(C) 2010-2013 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Tweet
http://sqex.to/ffxiv_bench_na #FFXIV Score:8814 1920x1080 Custom Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:10 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Ridere wrote:
So we should be turning those options on, Ket? I notice both yours and Spyder's high scores show up as "custom", and I was curious as to what options were picked to make it that way. I just ran standard windowed maximized when I ran mine.

I completely forgot about those stupid settings. I downloaded the new version and even in fullscreen I couldnt duplicate my score from the first one, closest I got was 83XX, now I know why.
Ketrebu wrote:
I bought a GTX 680, because why not.

Love that train of thought!! Welcome to the club, who will be the first to SLI them? :-k

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:14 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Spyder wrote:
Love that train of thought!! Welcome to the club, who will be the first to SLI them? :-k

Me. Technically a 690 is two 680s \:D/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:27 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Krellis wrote:
Spyder wrote:

Me. Technically a 690 is two 680s \:D/

You should SLI another 690! That would be wild :dbanana:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 am 
Even Match
Even Match

I would have a few months ago, but the WC models were 1 per customer in the US... and were out of stock on evga for me to even try... still had them for sale in Europe at the time though.

If I did get another one... I'd totally have to get another 30" monitor to make sure it wasn't wasted 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:49 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

tehkei wrote:
Dmitry wrote:
tehkei wrote:

which i could do crossfire but my case is too small. I got decent #s, probably runs better on my laptop tbh.

@tehkei: http://t.co/WecFlD8kag #FFXIV Score:6715 1280x720 Medium Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

I know what you mean, I can't squeeze my third one in, let alone the 4th :(

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News