It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:52 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post subject: Re: Magitek Armored Mounts.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:26 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Kluya wrote:
I would like to replay chrono chross. I thought I was the only person who liked that game lol. I loved the intro, one of my favorite FMV intro's for any game ever. Is it available on PSN store? It should be!

http://muckfry.ytmnd.com/

I think both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are available on PSN for $9.99 each btw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:52 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I played Chrono Trigger a few years ago and I felt it was a decent RPG but not as great as everyone raves it to be. I can't help but feel that the difference in reverence was because I did not previously play it as a child. Made me wonder if several other games I love today is only due to the fact that I loved them many years ago. As if the scenario was that if I had never played them prior to that, I would find them just OK at best with my modern tastes. Which is probably why the FF series sustains today despite poorly reviewed titles and newcomers to the series have a difficult time understanding the appeal and breaking into the series. I wonder if a large portion of it's fan demographic is purely anchored in nostalgia. And if that is true, it is extremely wise for Yoshi-P to be playing up that card in XIV's remake. Although, I still feel removing areas of the game such as classes would have had a better impact as to that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:46 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Cool thanks Kayne.

Kioko wrote:
I played Chrono Trigger a few years ago and I felt it was a decent RPG but not as great as everyone raves it to be. I can't help but feel that the difference in reverence was because I did not previously play it as a child. Made me wonder if several other games I love today is only due to the fact that I loved them many years ago. As if the scenario was that if I had never played them prior to that, I would find them just OK at best with my modern tastes. Which is probably why the FF series sustains today despite poorly reviewed titles and newcomers to the series have a difficult time understanding the appeal and breaking into the series. I wonder if a large portion of it's fan demographic is purely anchored in nostalgia. And if that is true, it is extremely wise for Yoshi-P to be playing up that card in XIV's remake. Although, I still feel removing areas of the game such as classes would have had a better impact as to that.

I believe a lot of games are like that. It's the nostalgia that makes them remain good. I played Chrono Trigger a lot as a kid, so I really enjoy it still. The music in Chrono Trigger is amazing. Also New Game + and the variety of different endings give it a lot of replay value.

This thread is making me want to go back and play a lot of the good Squaresoft games. You know....that company Squaresoft that actually made good RPGs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:12 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think New Game + was a huge part of it.

Also, the whole land of Zeal completely blew me out of the water. The first time I went up to the floating islands, and that awesome music started playing. Damn! That was always my favorite part of that game. Just wandering around on that floating island, and the academies, listening to the great music.

Schala's Theme :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:24 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

There are lots of reasons this happens. Nostalgia makes up for the fact that these games do not age mechanically. Sure as far as 2D sprites go many games in the SNES era are still pretty gorgeous today, but that's only a piece of the puzzle.

It's an earlier time where stories were simplistic and cheesy instead of deep and involved. Game mechanics were often complex and convoluted instead of accessible and streamlined. Controls were often frustrating due to lack of buttons or any decent in-game tutorials. Games were usually incredibly short but hair-pullingly difficult. But none of it really mattered, because at the time where video gaming was in it's infancy, this stuff was still mind-blowingly ground-breaking.

If you do not have nostalgia to cover up all these flaws, they are extremely off-putting. You won't have as much fun as you should, and your opinion of the game tends to get soured as a result. There are some games that don't have this problem and are still extremely playable today, but the majority aren't. And when it comes to RPGs, the story is king, but that's the area that has fallen most behind.

Then there's the fact that, as a kid, you kinda didn't really care even if a game was just mediocre. I dunno about other people, but when I was a kid you maybe got 2-3 new games a year: one at Christmas, one at birthday, and then maybe some other if you were good. So when you played a game, you played the shit out of it for MONTHS, even if it wasn't really designed to be all that replayable. I recall playing all the way through Sonic the Hedgehog 2, a game you could beat in 45 minutes, probably literally a hundred times over the span of a couple years.

Occasionally I'll see a game mentioned on the internet, and people will absolutely lambast the game as being terrible, like Shaq-fu. I played Shaq-fu, I think my cousin rented it, and I don't recall not liking it. I don't remember anything good about the game either, but I don't recall thinking the game was bad. I'm certain it was terrible, but as a kid I simply didn't notice or care.

So nostalgia is pretty powerful, but I think it's mostly fuelled by the fact that you were once a kid and were lovingly accepting of all games and their flaws, and now you're a picky old fart that actually cares what they waste their time doing.

P.S.: Chrono Trigger still wins bonus points for still being one of the only RPGs to ever put a decent effort into a time travel mechanic/story that spans over multiple entire eras. Covering all the way from prehistoric all the way to the future while still tying it all together coherently.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:37 am 
Spammer, to the max!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:24 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

What the he---oh it's kayne.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:50 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I recommend the DS version of chrono trigger if you're gonna replay it. new dungeon/alt final boss, portable... and you can pirate it if you're a cheapass. Most compelling is the way it makes it easier to get all the endings, since it tracks each ending after you unlock it.

And as for bad games you still played the shit out of... let me just say... I owned a 3DO. I think the only genuinely classic game that I owned was "Star Control 2: Ur-quan Masters" And don't get me wrong I put hundreds of hours into it, but I also put 40-100 hours in games most would consider merely passable like Crash n' burn, Slayer, Samurai Showdown and Guardian War. Crash n' Burn in particular was a "bad" game that I simply loved, despite its ass graphics and fairly shallow gameplay.

And even irredeemably bad games like Way of the Warrior got some play time. Although I admit I never liked the point and click adventure games as a kid so Hell and Dragon lore mostly collected dust.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:43 am 
Even Match
Even Match

Kayne wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:12 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

k, that acapella one was pretty impressive. I'll be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 am 
Spammer, to the max!

yeah that guy is amazing, e.g.:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:35 am 
Even Match
Even Match

That's the first one I saw Kayne... so good.... and yeah he's awesome... i listened to everything the other night. I love how he fucks around in frames where he isn't actively singing or whatever you wanna call it.

His Zelda covers are gonna make Klu go from 6 to midnight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:15 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Kayne... you just ruined my childhood..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:23 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Holy shit that guy is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:20 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kluya wrote:
Krellis wrote:
This teaser trailer made me start replaying ff6... so far it was totally the right decision... man this game is amazing. Looks like I'll be replaying ff4 after... thanks pricks.

I'm going to copy you and replay both.

Ketrebu wrote:
FF4

As for FF4: The DS version is pretty good if you can get past the really kinda meh 3D graphics. It took out a lot of stuff from the GBA version though.

Much much much harder. It's a lot harder than the original "Hard mode" FF4 Japanese version. Even normal random encounters can kick your ass if you're not prepared. Most bosses are near impossible if you don't use buffs and debuffs. To counter this, bosses are actually susceptible to debuffs for once. You MUST be casting Slow/Poison/Stop/Stun etc. on them, as well as abusing the hell out of Haste and Blink on yourselves, if you want to stand a chance. This is my reason to play the DS version though, it made the boss battles in particular much more fun.

I played FF4 a lot on SNES when it was FF2 here. The first time I played “hard mode” was on the PSX version. I was blown away by how much harder it was. I remember a few boss battles being a breeze on SNES, yet they were incredibly hard on “hard mode”. The dark elf for example (in the magnet cave), easy boss normally…..but I died so many times I left like it was literally impossible to beat it. I would approach fights like that and take them lightly, only to be blown away by how much harder they are.

The DS was a whole new level of difficulty. I couldn’t believe how many times my party was wiped out in random encounters, especially towards the end of the game. Some of those zones were so frustrating to explore (like Bahamuts lair on the moon for example) simply because of the fear of dying and losing all of my progress. I also felt the random encounter rate was stupid high in some areas.

I did get that insanely low drop to receive the augment for no random encounters. That made my second playthrough a little more enjoyable/less stressful.

Also the DS version is cool because you get to see Kluya omg.

I'm super late to this discussion, but I didn't have too much trouble with FF4 DS aside from a few places where I didn't know where to go, which probably got me over leveled from wandering around.

Chrono Trigger I played on the DS and got all of the endings. I agree the way it handled the time travel was very well done, but also agree with Kio that it isn't as special as some people make it out to be. Ridere is correct that NG+ had a big impact on it though.

Also reading this makes me want to play FF6, is that on PSN yet and if so is that the version I should play or should I emulate and be uncomfortable instead of on the couch?

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:45 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I think PSN has PSone version of FF6 for 10 bucks. So thats a pretty good option. I'm not sure of what if any changes from the original.

I do know the GBA version has worse sounds but a generally better translation.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

No no no no, don't buy the PS1 version of either FF4, FF5, or FF6.

The load times are absolutely abysmal. Moving between areas? 5-10 seconds of loading. Enter a battle? 5-10 seconds of loading. End the battle? 5-10 seconds of loading. Want to open your party/equip/etc menu? Yep, you guessed it, 5-10 seconds of loading, and then again when you close it. It's unbearable considering the original SNES version has absolutely zero loading whatsoever. Running the PS1 version on a PS3 doesn't really help it much either, because it's still just emulating a PS1.

Why the difference? Well, as I understand it, it's because the PS1 only had 2MB of system RAM, and despite being small games, it wasn't possible to load the entire SNES ROM into memory at once. Splitting the game up into logical sections (like Disc 1, Disc 2, etc) wasn't feasible for a port (especially with so many reused assets throughout the whole game), so instead the games were split up into "field mode", "battle mode" and "menu mode". This was easy because internally that's how the game is structured anyway. Each time you switch between one of these modes, the PS1 basically had to reload the game again. While technically the SNES had to do the same thing, reading from a ROM is almost like an extension of the system RAM, and loads near-instantly compared to reading from a CD.

GBA versions are good if you're looking for something handheld, true to the original, but slightly better polished. The music isn't quite as good due to the GBA sound but if you're playing for the first time you'd never even notice. If you're gonna play on an emulator, you can patch the GBA versions to have the SNES quality music (I think I mentioned this elsewhere in the thread) making it the best option. Don't forget the original DS and DS Lite (but not the DSi or XL) can happily play GBA games if you don't have an old GBA knocking around anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:43 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

I can confirm this. I bought the ps one version years ago and it's what I'm currently playing through... the first few hours it was pretty unbearable, but then I got used to it... not so bad now.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:08 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'd hope that the PSN version wouldn't have those kinds of load times, since it's all digital. But yah. I bought the PSX versions, but I never played them. I did play FF1 and FF2 on PSX, though. Since they were smaller games, they didn't seem to have the same trouble, thankfully.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:06 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

We thankfully have 4 GBAs around now from playing Crystal Chronicles again recently. I miss my DS lite but the hinge cracked so I traded it towards my 3DS :(

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:08 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The GBA version of FF6 was awesome. I loved the bonus content and dungeons.

I also traded my DS lite for my 3DS. I completely spaced the 3DS not having backwards compatibility with GBA games. I loved playing those on the DS because they looked better. My GBA was an old crappy one with bad lighting.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:00 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Dmitry wrote:
We thankfully have 4 GBAs around now from playing Crystal Chronicles again recently.

I really want to play this and Four Swords Adventures. I've looked into every conceivable way of making it work online and via emulators and it's just never gonna happen. So I'd have to drag some people into it. That's hard enough as it is.

I already own Four Swords Adventures and a bunch of GBAs and even some link cables, but I don't have enough for the full four player setup. Wouldn't cost too much to grab the rest used on Amazon or something.

Thing is, I'd kinda want to record it too, because it's gonna be one of those things I probably only really get to do once due to the crazy set up required to make it work. To properly record it though, you need FIVE Gamecubes, FOUR Gameboy player add-ons, and FIVE sets of video capturing equipment, along with five PCs powerful enough to do so. Not to mention somehow fitting 5 TVs all in the same room.

Only thing I can think of to simplify recording is to use some kind of CCTV-style multi-DVR box. But then you'd need one that not only has 5 inputs, but 5 inputs with sound. CCTV DVRs tend to have somewhat crappy quality too, since they're not meant for recording TV-quality signals. And even if such a thing was pulled off, editing the thing to be one in-sync video is a nightmare itself. And then where the hell am I going to put all this stuff!?

The alternative is to try and get the local emulator set up working. But that has it's own problems, namely making the emulator stay stable.

One way or another though, playing this game and recording it IS possible! There are people who've pulled it off on YouTube. But then I'm gonna need four 360 controllers or something instead.

EDIT: Actually, good news, I figured out why it was so unstable when I did it with emulators. Oddly, having GBA linking turned *on* was screwing about with the GBA emulators and making them stutter, go out of sync, and randomly disconnect. I noticed when one of my four GBA emulators wasn't doing it, so I compared all the settings. The moment I flipped it off on all four GBAs, the GC emulator shot up to 100% speed and hasn't had a hiccup since. Really odd that it needs to be off considering linking is exactly what I'm doing, though.

Now I just need to find 4 people somewhere...

EDIT2: Quick 30 second video to test running 5 emulators AND recording it at the same time! Looks like it works, now I just need 4 gamepads and 4 people. My PC is already hooked up to my 50" TV via HDMI, so won't have a problem there.

EDIT3: Thinking about it, this is majorly off-topic, but oh well.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That is so cool!!! And I had no idea it could be that complicating to record lol. Wow.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:16 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I was thinking of way to do it with the GCN/GBA superthing hooked into a Gamecube or Wii by using one of the system switching things Gamestop sold, but that would be problematic if more than one person needed their inventory at a time, plus someone would have to be able to press the button to switch it also.

If you ever find yourself over here Ket I would definitely try to play it somehow. Those games are fun but it's so hard to get enough people together anymore.

Ponuh wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:50 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Ket have you tried VBA link and either Hamachi or Tunngle? The server functions on VBA-M are greyed out on current release which is a shame, but this does look possible over the net. I'd be willing to test it out if you like.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News