It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:12 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post subject: Re: Live Producer Letter Part VII (5/30)
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It sucks that most of the end game stuff requires you to max out and play well on multiple jobs. Even switching jobs in the middle of the instance. All of the people who have relics, have mastered those dungeon speed runs. Those are fucking hectic. You have to constantly change jobs, and be ready to play each job VERY WELL on the fly. My ADD doesn’t allow that. I like focusing on one job at a time. Which is why I’m not very good at FFXIV lol.

I hope they make more end-game content that’s friendly to odd sized parties. Maybe if they could require 6-9 people for instanced fights, then sync the difficulty depending on the amount of people that enter…or something like that.

All of the instanced 8 person content is frustrating and caused people to not enjoy the game because they were either forced to stop what they were doing to help a 7/8 party, or they had to sit out and watch for 3 hours while others were plugging away. Or even worse a party would sit 7/8 for 4 hours and do nothing.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:13 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Kioko wrote:
i know what you mean madi, i didnt feel a special connection in any of the classes or jobs in 14. i was very dedicated to dragoon in xi and was seeking something on the same personal level. i keep telling myself that the right job for me just hasnt been introduced yet but i also contemplate if that is truly the case. most the jobs play exactly the same way, despite their better efforts there still isnt asigned roles or nearly so compaired to xi. it works both for and against it. in xi you had melee classes but each had a sub specialization, game style, and interworking within a group. xiv you have melee who are more or less just melee and very interchangeable. it works that groups dont have to be picky about whom they have along unless they really want to be, wherein xi you had to really weigh on what mob you were fighting and whom your other group makeup was and also any bias they may carry. so being more generic has its ups but i also feel like i lose out without a more clearly define role than spam 1 until its dead.

The fact that you are no longer specialized in a particular job, or the time to learn it and work well with the team is gone. by the time you got to 50 in ff11 you knew your job well and you knew where to stand and what to do in most situations. 14 was all a big pile of moves no matter who you where. that might have been different in the higher instances but i never had a chance to do em, because it was hard to come up with 8 people when i was playing lol. maybe im just looking at classic ff11 in rose colored glasses but i think i had more fun grinding in pickup parties then i did in ff14.

on other news. why arent there any Dark Knights :(

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:39 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think someone mentioned at some point that they're trying to balance out the mage and melee jobs. So that's why they are releasing 3 new mage jobs for ARR. Once that gets balanced out some, they can move on to adding the other melee jobs that people want. DRK, THF, NIN or whatever.

I definitely felt more of an attachment to Hume Ridere than Lalafell Ridere Tirose. But I also am not in a point in my life where I can spend 3 hours casting Bar spells on myself while LFG outside of Jeuno. So, as a whole, I'm trying to take the good with the bad.

I do agree that I don't like needing to have to touch so many other jobs to be able to play the game, though. Crafting in particular. If you wanted to be a one-trick pony in FF11, it was generally a main job and 1-2 sub jobs. 3-5 sub jobs if you wanted to cover all your bases, generally.

I think the most amount of job changing people did was for the CoP missions, because those were both level capped (Allowing for more opportunities to job change into subjobs), as well as just incredibly difficult to pull off when we were learning everything the first time.

I still remember our like 3-4 BLM battles with that one white dragon. haha.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:35 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Quote:
I think someone mentioned at some point that they're trying to balance out the mage and melee jobs. So that's why they are releasing 3 new mage jobs for ARR. Once that gets balanced out some, they can move on to adding the other melee jobs that people want. DRK, THF, NIN or whatever.

Honestly, if NIN was released that would be awesome but more of a debuffer than the tank it was made to be FFXI. When I first started FFXI I became NIN after being a warrior and remember that getting invites like crazy they asked me to "tank" which was weird but I said "sure I can do that" at the time I had no Utsusemi Ichi or provoke and I thought I got this :smug:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:48 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kluya wrote:
Even switching jobs in the middle of the instance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as of ARR this isn't possible. Once you enter an instance, your job gets locked, just like Hamlet did.

They've also said in the past that they were removing the massive advantage crafters who levelled all crafts had. I don't know how they did this, mind, because getting a high level craft job in the weekend-only beta where levequests no longer give you free materials is difficult. If I had to guess, they'll change the HQ method so stacking multiple abilities from multiple maxed crafts isn't the best way to do it.

SE seem to be clamping down a little on how overly-versatile all-50s can be, from locking jobs upon starting content, to blocking most cross-class abilities. Probably because once ARR launches there's going to be people with all 50s running around with a two year head start over all the new players.

As for identity, you guys just need to pick a job and be a stubborn asshole about using it even if it sucks, like me.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:35 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Cruxis wrote:
Quote:

Honestly, if NIN was released that would be awesome but more of a debuffer than the tank it was made to be FFXI. When I first started FFXI I became NIN after being a warrior and remember that getting invites like crazy they asked me to "tank" which was weird but I said "sure I can do that" at the time I had no Utsusemi Ichi or provoke and I thought I got this :smug:

Haha that reminds me, of my first month on XI. Originally I started as a white mage then a friend asked me to switch servers so I rerolled and decided I wanted to become a dragoon. I was armed with the first edition Brady game guide and thought it was the FFXI bible. It advised to to level whm to 5 to sub to warrior up to level 30 then I could go get Dragoon. And yes that is what I did.
I'm so shocked anyone ever invited me to party..with my level 5 whm subjob. I'd cast cure 1 on myself and heal for like 20 hp then rest because it drained my entire mana pool..losing all my TP. People would ask me to tank and I would refuse because I was too afraid to die.
It's really an embarrassment reflecting back but I think I turned out pretty ok in the end (even if I never lost my stubbornness.) But at the time I was so sure of myself that I was doing the smart thing because of that blasted book.

Going back to XIV, the simpleness to jobs works well for pick-up-and-playability which most the demographic these days requires. Like Ridere pointed out, even if I had more fun personally with XI's original grind fest, most people would be hard pressed to find the time or attention to do so. I kinda hope that they will eventually introduce advanced jobs that do require some degree of grinding (albeit perhaps not as intense as XI) as sort an optional flavor of game play and reward for those people who really do want to invest into it).

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:03 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

tehkei wrote:
14 was all a big pile of moves no matter who you where. that might have been different in the higher instances but i never had a chance to do em

yea the jobs had their classic roles in the higher level instances.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:21 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Quote:
Haha that reminds me, of my first month on XI. Originally I started as a white mage then a friend asked me to switch servers so I rerolled and decided I wanted to become a dragoon. I was armed with the first edition Brady game guide and thought it was the FFXI bible. It advised to to level whm to 5 to sub to warrior up to level 30 then I could go get Dragoon. And yes that is what I did.
I'm so shocked anyone ever invited me to party..with my level 5 whm subjob. I'd cast cure 1 on myself and heal for like 20 hp then rest because it drained my entire mana pool..losing all my TP. People would ask me to tank and I would refuse because I was too afraid to die.
It's really an embarrassment reflecting back but I think I turned out pretty ok in the end (even if I never lost my stubbornness.) But at the time I was so sure of myself that I was doing the smart thing because of that blasted book.

Going back to XIV, the simpleness to jobs works well for pick-up-and-playability which most the demographic these days requires. Like Ridere pointed out, even if I had more fun personally with XI's original grind fest, most people would be hard pressed to find the time or attention to do so. I kinda hope that they will eventually introduce advanced jobs that do require some degree of grinding (albeit perhaps not as intense as XI) as sort an optional flavor of game play and reward for those people who really do want to invest into it).

LOL good stuff final fantasy XI was my first MMORPG and I am glad it was. People had to explain to me what pulling, hate/enmity,Rofl,lol,DPS,etc were it was painful but it fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_474788&feature=iv&src_vid=JQF1zzLMp5U&v=FCCKYfouAxE

If anybody missed the Producer Letter VII it's in subtitles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:44 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Ketrebu wrote:
Kluya wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as of ARR this isn't possible. Once you enter an instance, your job gets locked, just like Hamlet did.

I hope not, i loved job switching several times throughout an instance to optimize the run, was so much fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:09 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
As for identity, you guys just need to pick a job and be a stubborn asshole about using it even if it sucks, like me.

lol atleast you got shit done that way. You reluctantly played WAR on Garuda for various attempts with all of us because that was the way it had to be done. Then you finally said "fuck this i'm going back to Paladin" and it was one of the contributing factors to you guys actually winning.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:02 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Rubyxiii wrote:
Ketrebu wrote:
Kluya wrote:

I hope not, i loved job switching several times throughout an instance to optimize the run, was so much fun.

Pretty sure we tried this during the previous beta phases and couldn't switch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:47 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I can't wait to try MNK and WAR, very impressed with PLD so far, huge improvement if you ask me. Needed the shield counters bad.

I haven't done any of the job switching, but i'm a big fan of defined roles in groups. Maybe damage dealers switching from melee to ranged job for specific fights would be nice option. I just hope they have something like Sky. Still haven't found anything in gaming I enjoyed as much as taking down Kirin.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News