It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:33 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post subject: Ifrit Fight
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Hey hey. Kitty and I are interested in trying this fight tonight, if anyone wants to help out. We've not done it before, so we're happy to have some experienced folks showing us the ropes.

I can go as THM or CNJ. Kitty is probably going as GLD, but doesn't necessarily need to tank.

We'll probably be on around 4PM is Pacific Prevailing Time.

Let us know. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ifrit Fight
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:41 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

For the record, this fight (the story version at least) is really easy, even for unexperienced people. Don't worry too much about having a great setup.

All you need to know is:

1) At random points during the fight, Ifrit will use "Eruption". This is harder to see than it was in 1.0, but you can see it on Ifrit's casting bar too. Eruption will appear as cracks on the ground underneath a random player. If you see Eruption under your feet, you must move out of the way immediately or you'll take massive damage.

TIP1: Healers generally can't see the boss casting bar due to having party members targeted. To get around this, make Ifrit your "Focus Target". Select Ifrit and press Shift+F to lock his HP bar onto your screen regardless of who you have selected.

TIP2: Eruption will never choose to appear underneath the person with the most hate (i.e. the tank); so the tank is generally safe and can concentrate on tanking rather than watching for Eruption. Tank can still be hit by Eruption if someone else is standing near them for some reason.

2) Around 50% HP, attack the fire spike thing (Infernal Fetters, but you'll hear most people call this the "Nail", because thats what it was called in 1.0) that appears in the middle of the arena. Completely ignore Ifrit, even the tank, focus all of your attacks on the nail, it's more important. If the nail is still up when Ifrit uses Hellfire, you lose (9999 damage). Hellfire will activate immediately when the Fetters is destroyed, so make sure HP is topped off.

3) After Hellfire, Ifrit will start using "Radiant Plume", an attack like Eruption but covers a huge part of the arena. In the story battle, this always covers either the center 50% or so of the arena, or the outside 50% or so of the arena. The attack will alternate. So if he last used it in the middle, it will next be on the outside, then in the middle again, then on the outside. You can get out of the way in advance when you know where it'll be next.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:44 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Ketrebu wrote:
TIP1: Healers generally can't see the boss casting bar due to having party members targeted. To get around this, make Ifrit your "Focus Target". Select Ifrit and press Shift+F to lock his HP bar onto your screen regardless of who you have selected.

helpful advice thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:53 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Thanks for the information, Ket. Should be interesting, since I've never really done the fight before. hah.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:58 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It's a fun fight. I will help if i'm online. I won't be on till way later tonight though. I love that fight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:31 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I lost to this several times with PUGs. Getting them to understand killing the fetter was required was impossible, haha.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/871200/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:56 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, I'd really not want to pug this. I don't want to be the one having to give out advice, seeing as how I haven't done it before. haha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:38 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

I've never talked a single word in Ifrit pugs from duty finder or anyone else in my parties and I've only lost 1 out of 15 or so. It's pretty safe to pug it ;).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:41 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I shoulda mentioned this was earlier in Phase 3 before the duty finder, people were just standing at the zone shouting for parties.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:03 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Hmm, now that you mention it I haven't seen party shouts anymore. So nice that people finally got away from that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:27 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

do you guys think uldah will still be the hub of existence? duty finder and connected auction houses might change that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:14 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm glad it's not. I don't know if the market boards are connected to all three towns (I hope), but I like the idea of not having to stay in Ul'dah. I may settle down in Limsa.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:16 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

The market boards are now all connected; your item appears in every town regardless of where you sell it. However there's a slightly higher transaction fee if it's bought from a town different from the one it was sold in, I believe.

I can't remember if it's the seller or the buyer who pays it, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:16 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Ridere wrote:
I'm glad it's not. I don't know if the market boards are connected to all three towns (I hope), but I like the idea of not having to stay in Ul'dah. I may settle down in Limsa.

Grid is kinda growing on me. but im going to be part of limsa so i dont know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:28 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I think I like Limsa the best as well. It just looks the nicest.

That's awesome the boards are all connected now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:35 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

With the world re-design, I really think that Thalanan got the short-end of the stick. La Noscea and the Shroud just got so much more beautiful with this update. I was exploring the rest of the zones I didn't fully explore on Saturday, and there was just so much pretty stuff in La Noscea.

I think they should have thrown Thalanan a bone and gave it Costa del Sol, to be honest. It's certainly not an ugly zone, by any means. But I don't think it was as improved upon as the other two areas were.

I'm sure we'll all be completely blown away by the new Coerthas, once that gets released.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:40 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Well it is a rocky/barren mountainous desert area, after all. I thought they did pretty well with what they were working with. There's definitely still a whole lot to look at, it's just not lush and green like the other two.

Coerthas is the new Xarcabard. I'm really looking forward to that one. Did you see the size of the Behemoth in the latest video? Players are barely bigger than it's foot/toe.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:18 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I can't wait to see that behemoth in person. That will be crazy. I thought the giant buffalo NM was big...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:54 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i'm actually really pleased with Thanalan. the railroad theme is cool. feels like the wild west, with train bandit quests and such. and some of the most amazing visuals, obviously the dalamud chunk near drybone is epic. the huge desert in the south is a nice add. but just looking out over the vast landscape around uldah really makes you feel like you're in arizona.

all the zones are cool. La Noscea is still the best. Shroud is most improved.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:06 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I agree, Whisp. Don't get me wrong. I really like Thanalan. But I actually liked the look and feel of it in v1.0, too. Like you mentioned, I think it just improved the least. But that's not slamming it per say. Just mainly saying that La Noscea and the Black Shroud needed the most improvement.

That being said, I do really like that watery area between Camp Horizon and Vesper bay. And just the sheer amount of extra visual areas is great. I love having tiny camps of NPCs here and there now. It really adds so much more life to the game compared to v1.0.

There are so many pretty locations now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:48 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Whisp wrote:
but just looking out over the vast landscape around uldah really makes you feel like you're in arizona.

Maybe that's why I never liked the area around Uldah lol. It always has, and still does, remind me of Arizona.

If you google Thanalan images, then type in Arizona images. It's good for a laugh. Even some of the initial google images look exactly the same.

The burning wall is one of the coolest areas in the game, and that's in Thanalan. Also the refinery area looks cool too (I forget the camp name, but it has all the lights shining towards the sky). It has a Final Fantasy feel to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:09 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, those factory-looking areas really intrigue me. There was some fort with glowing lights in La Noscea, as well as the Black Shroud. Though the one in the Shroud was background scenery, and you couldn't actually walk up to the gate, like you could at the one in La Noscea.

Very intriguing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:56 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I haven't been to that one in the shroud yet. That's the only area I didn't fully explore in beta.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:31 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Image ....OR.... Image ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:39 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Thanalan > Arizona!

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News