It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:53 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Benchmark 2 (Character Creator)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:47 am 
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo

Fist over the snake skin background

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:06 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Apparently SE are getting annoyed about the fact everyone's dat-mining the benchmark and have basically declared lockdown over it on the official forum (talk about it = banned).

In other news, it seems all of the hamlet gear/items (Militia Gear, Militia Tools, etc) is now all craftable.

E.g.:

Armorer Lv.47
Recipe Level Lv.55
Yields x1 Militia Sabatons

x1 Darksteel Plate
x1 Cobalt Rings
x1 Hippogryph Leather

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:13 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Whisp wrote:
Attachment:
CKD6.jpg

meh

looks like a moustache

(a really epic one tho)

hahahaha, that's exactly what I thought when I saw that image.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm fine with there being more than one way to get some of the gear, so the whole crafters making Hamlet gear is fine by me. Seems like it didn't take them too long to realize that the "You can play this game as simply a crafter main class" idea didn't really turn out all that great, so it's good that they're throwing crafters a bone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:52 am 
Even Match
Even Match

Of course you're fine with it, you didn't have to do a bajillion hamlets to get your shit ;). I guess I'm fine that you can craft it now. I hope they've spread out the crafting of items to as many doh as possible... that way a few of them don't clearly corner the market like 1.0.

Last edited by Krellis on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:10 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I really feel sorry for people who got the 1% BLM pants drop lol. People who farmed hamlet regularly got screwed between this and no hamlet relic requirements in ARR.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:13 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, I'll be honest. I didn't know Hamlet gear was a pain in the ass to get. I didn't really follow that.

That being said... Anyone really surprised any of the 1.0 time sinks weren't going to be the be-all-end-all of ARR gear? I'd chalk that one up to falling into the "well duh" category. But I guess I could see why some people would be annoyed by that fact.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:23 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I did not like farming hamlet, I only went on a few runs. It felt so tedious to me. I'm glad we don't have to do it anymore lol.

btw has anybody looked at how hard the character creator runs the GPU? My 680 got up to 77 degrees. It's never once breached 65 on anything. It usually hangs between 60-65 maxing out modern games including ARR.

I'm not sure what's up with that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:44 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Farming for the Relic quest seals is about as pain in the ass as it got.

You needed 9 hamlet seals to START the relic quest. If you have a group that is able to pull off a perfect run, there's a roughly 50% drop rate for your whole group, which you then need to out-lot 7 other people for.

That means each run you had about a 1:16 chance of getting a seal. To complete the set by pure chance, and again this is assuming you pull off perfect hamlet runs with a good group that knows what they're doing, you need to complete around ~150 hamlet runs. One of these "perfect runs" took about 25 minutes, and there was a 15 minute cool down before your group could enter again. So these 150 runs took approximately 100 hours. Sound ludicrous? Yeah it is.

There was, however, a second way.

In the days leading up to a hamlet raid, you can trade in goods to the hamlet NPC for points. The server also had a leaderboard for traded in points. If you could get to #1, you would automatically obtain a hamlet seal after every run you did (providing you did a perfect run), separate to the loot pool.

However, there can of course only be ONE person on the entire server in the #1 spot. So this was highly contested. You very often needed hundreds of thousands of points to become #1. Lets just say if you didn't have 10,000,000 Gil spare to completely throw away that day, just go home.

And the entire process worked like an auction: you don't need a specific number of points, you need to be TOP. This meant the entire thing ended up working like an eBay auction snipe, with everybody dumping their loads into the NPC at the very last minute. Trading took time, and you couldn't keep an eye on the leaderboard AND rapidly trade your goods to the NPC at the same time, so it was one hell of a gamble. You might overspend and waste tons of money securing the top spot, or you might not trade enough and not hit the top 3 at all. Or worse yet, you might dump 10,000,000 gil into the NPC, only for three other people to dump 11,000,000 Gil into the NPC at the last minute, completely wasting all of your 10 million gil. Gone, just like that, for nothing.

There was another situation that was just as devastating. It wasn't feasible to get lucky and be the only guy willing to dump points that day. There was a minimum amount of points required for the hamlet to reach "Level 2". If there weren't enough people dumping points and the minimum is not reached, the hamlet stayed at Level 1, and the "perfect run" isn't possible. Level 2 hamlet was harder but doubled your hamlet score, which was required to hit the score needed for seals to drop. So it was possible to dump 10 million gil worth of points, but if nobody else bothered (because they didn't think there was a chance of them beating you to #1) then that 10 million gil just got wasted again.

Assuming you get the #1 spot, you are pretty much guaranteed your 3 seals, once you get a few people to help you do a few hamlet runs. Wait, 3? Didn't I say 9? Yes, yes I did. There are three separate hamlets. You need 3 seals from each one, not just 9 overall. That thing above about trying to win hamlet via a huge gamble on gil-sink points?

You gotta do it three times.

Once you'd done all that, whether it be via sweat, blood, or tears, you can finally START your Relic Quest. Excellent. Good luck with the double meld, that's another story.

On a more positive note, as mentioned, the relic quest has supposedly been made easier. But we don't know exactly how much easier. Easier as in everyone can get one? Or just easier that a few more people can get them? We'll find out soon I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:25 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Taking away hamlet, double melds, and dungeon speed runs sounds a whole hell of a lot easier to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:25 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah when your end-game content consists of like 3 things, you bet your ass they're going to make it drawn-out and tedius.

In theory, we'll have a lot more to do this time around, so hopefully some of the tedium is replaced with actual fun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:59 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I for sure am going to focus on a relic from the get go. I put it off for so long in FFXI that I didn't even play more than a year after I got it. Felt kinda wasted.
Not making that mistake again, even if I'm going at a slow and steady pace. At least it's something.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/871200/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:24 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm surprised they are making relics easier honestly. Even though they are difficult to obtain, it seems like every single person in the hardcore linkshells have atleast 1. Some have multiple...Lim Limit has every single one.

I will definately focus on getting a relic ASAP in ARR. I just don't know which job I'm going to attempt to "main" at first. It seems like we have a plethora of mages and that's what I mostly played in 1.0. Aside from getting the rest of the jobs to 50, I never really played them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:33 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

That does not surprise me at all about Lim haha, I just don't know what to think about that guy

Anyhow I'm not even slightly interested in relic-like mega quests that require mind boggling amounts of frustration. I'm ok with them existing for the super hardcore to have their e-peen but, ain't nobody got time for that! :D I'll stick to trying for primal weapons haha

In Aion there was one of these mega quests for an end game gear set that took me 6 months irl to do, because it required you to compete with the opposing faction for items called blood stains and required you to HQ craft something called a hot heart of magic which led to the annihilation of quite a few of my old keyboards lol

Never again will I do that kind of thing in an MMO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:32 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Is there a way to export character data from the beta and load them in the character creator?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:45 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Go into the character creator
Click create new character
pop up should ask if you want to load previous data
check load appearance data and hit ok
It will give you a list of any previously made characters in can find
you can freely edit these previously made characters and save the new design as something else (can comment it too) to use in ARR.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:54 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Ketrebu wrote:
Yeah, well fuck you too.

/em dies laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:55 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Anyone else's computer extremely stressed while in the CC? Mine plays the actual benchmark on max settings like a breeze, but the CC feels like its going to have a nuclear meltdown. Puts off a ton of heat and forces all the fans on max.. ><

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:47 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Sounds like there's no frame rate limit, which makes sense if it's a benchmark.

Normally in-game the default setting is to limit the frame rate at 60 FPS, which makes sense if you have a 60Hz monitor. However, with no frame limit, it'll happily render to 200 FPS, using all of the maximum available power in your PC, even where there's no point.

Although the game itself has it, I don't see the frame rate limit option anywhere in the benchmark tool, so you'll have to put up with it for now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:51 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

The benchmark runs fine though, it stresses the PC only as expected. Only when in the actual CC does it run crazy hot. It didn't in the beta phases.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:32 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah Kio I have the same issue. The CC runs my GPU harder than any game ever has. The GPU fan sounds like it's about to take flight.

The benchmark runs it normally, just like the game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:15 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I might go for a makeover. Don't be too surprised. I'd change my last name if I did this. I think this looks pretty cool.

Attachment:
face.jpg
face.jpg [ 288.27 KiB | Viewed 720 times ]

Attachment:
White.jpg
White.jpg [ 125.91 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:36 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I dunno I think that look is a bit fierce for your pesonality.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:05 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

It does look fairly badass though... for a taru.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:08 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Vurin wrote:
It does look fairly badass though... for a taru.

^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News