It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:02 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post subject: Live Letter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:10 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

woke up before i normally would have. here we go! anyone else watching? Live english translation on xivpads.com

Post subject: Re: Live Letter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:19 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Phase 4 8/16-8/19 for those who played in previous beta phases, 8/17-8/19 for new comers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:21 am 

8/24 for early access, and there will be no interruption between early access and full launch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:22 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

- open beta phase starts 8/16 for phase 3 players, and 8/17 for new beta players. and ends 8/19
- early access week is actually just 8/24 through launch (3 days)

- "just remember to sleep" is their advice to all of us
- main menu interface looks completely different, not sure if it's for PC or PS3 or what
- this character has 0/562000 exp at level 50, which is way more than the 0/100000 it use to be, i dunno if that's real
- new fishing log looks really neat and extensive
- you'll be able to catch different fish based on weather, time of day, etc.
- you'll be able to fish up items like treasure maps
- moogle will deliver your preorder ingame items 8/27

- level is capped at 20 for phase 4, not sure if that includes us level 50s
- beta 4 includes content only up to level 20; no mention of level cap for early access which shouldn't have a level cap anyway.
- beta 4 will have full voice acting
- beta 4 will have the guild housing zones, but it sounds like you either can't go into any of the houses or can only go into the Limsa houses
- beta 4 will have PvP, there will be PvP specific actions and gear both introduced at a later date
- arcanist... they are showing it off, yes arcanist is available in phase 4. there is carbuncle. arcanist spellcast animation is writing in your tome with a giant feather pen
- for dungeons, they make it sound like arcanist is DPS not healer, so looks like conjurer will be in huge demand and all other DPS will be in low demand at launch due to so many people wanting to play arcanist; arcanist does get healing spells though
- showing off wintery zone with ice elementals. that's coerthas right? ok yes it is coerthas. looks like xarcabard. sweet.
- arcanist pet will work off a command system similar to FF12's gambit system, so for instance you can program them to not attack slept mobs
- arcanist without pet is not very strong, only when damage is combined with pet damage is it strong
- summoner is described as a DPS class, and has ranged AOEs, you pick a spot on the ground far away and a circle forms around it with for example poison
- the summons themselves are about the size of the player, kinda tiny :) much bigger than a taru though.
- equipment menu shows a 3D model of your character
- scholar is described as a "complete healer" class, with their pets focused on healing
- main benefit of scholar over WHM is that scholar combines both curing & buff in the same spells; scholar can even do this cure/buff in a ranged aoe, they say it's best to have one WHM and one SCH for dungeon x8 parties; WHM is superior for fast healing of single target for large amounts of HP
- other classes will get 2nd jobs (like how arcanist gets both summoner and scholar) in upcoming patches after launch
- world transfer service is available, for a fee, 2-3 weeks after launch
- They are releasing a free Smartphone app called Libra Eorzea a week after game launch for iPhone, 3 weeks after launch for Android, it will be like a portable lodestone with your character and gear, has weapon data, quest details and prerequisites, prolly lots of other stuff; they mention how you can view it while "on your way to school/work" lol; confirmed it is lodestone.
- they pledge to get rid of RMT if and when they pop up
- barber shop (hairstyle, hair color, eye color, tattoo, facial hair, maybe skin color tanning bed, maybe race) available in first patch 2.1; they said don't think too hard about making your character, you will be able to change it very soon if you want.
- you can reroll your stats using in-game item, they say you'll need this when switching between scholar (MND) and summoner (INT)
- they brought out a special guest, the voice actress for JP garuda
- they have bahamut's labyrinth which will explain a great deal of story about louisioux and dalamud and the 7th umbral era, it will be a very challenging 8-player dungeon
- also have the crystal tower in patch 2.1, a 24-player dungeon
- patch 2.1 will be about 3-4 months after release
- moogle fight has been moved to 2.1
- they showed off the unicorn mount, it's quite amazing
- showing off beds and ceiling fans and lampposts and things for guild housing
- Free company gets points for completing quests and things; use points to purchase furnishings that give each player a bonus like exp bonus.
- more dungeons released at 2.1
- add-on tools ready in about 6 months
- Moraby Dock will have a PvP colosseum with a ranking system, it's in a crater caused by Dalamud, they said it comes out in 2.1 but the translation is confusing to that might not be true
- PvP will be available through duty finder
- miniature welcome-back campaign, V2.0 is free for V1.0 users through Sept 9th, download client for free
- there is a Veteran's Reward program that grants bonuses at fixed intervals (ie 30 days, 60 days, 90 days) depending on how long you have been a subscriber
- character remake ticket and additional minions are earned through Veteran's Reward program

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:16 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Interesting stuff.

I'm admittingly disappointed about the chosen time to start everything. 6 days total of Phase 4 and Early access is sort of questionable.

Also a bit nervous about the whole level 20 thing. Every one of my jobs except ACN is already 20+ haha. and I suppose that means unlocking WHM/BLM would be out of the question.

I guess I can do storyline/class quests up to level 20 during those days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Sounds like early access won't have a level cap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:28 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

...lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah. just seems like the phase 4 may be a waste of time unless you were doing ACN right off the bat. I know a bunch of you are, since you're all capped at 50 with everything, but not me!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:35 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

It's sad that the time is so limited and there's a very low level cap, but it's not as big a deal as it seems.

Level 20 cap is enough to get as far as the Ifrit fight and complete all of the story that was in Phase 3. This was required to unlock all the bare essentials like airship, chocobos, retainers, etc etc. It's something that everybody needed to spend the first couple of days doing anyway.

They haven't mentioned how it affects legacy players with level 50 jobs, but I imagine it'll be the same as Phase 3: If you're above a certain level you can't get exp.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:53 am 
Even Match
Even Match

Whisp wrote:
- you can reroll your stats using in-game item, they say you'll need this when switching between scholar (MND) and summoner (INT)

wtf... there's got to be more to it... if not, that's really dumb (maybe they let Tanaka design one thing out of pity?). Who the hell wants to respec stats every time they change to another job?

Also the moogle fight not being in at the start seems a bit weird.

Only one more week...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:07 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

yea i thought that was weird too.

when asked further about rerolling stats, yoshi said "it's hard to explain by words"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Okay...

So here's my plan of attack.

Phase 4:
  • Storyline up to Ifrit. I read the dialog during phase 3, so I can go through this quickly.
  • THM and CNJ class quests up to 20.
  • Unlock all the Aetheryte Crystal locations and favorite the ones I find most useful

I think that's decent for 3 days of work that might potentially be wiped. No major loss if that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:26 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That's a shorter timeframe than I was expecting. I am ok with it, since it caters to my schedule lol.

I agree the level 20 cap is not a huge deal since all the b.s. quests will take a lot of time. Most of us have to do every single class quest on top of it…which we won’t get exp for anyways.

I wonder why stats relate to your class instead of your job? I would prefer allowing people to set stats for each job, so they don't have to change them. If we indeed have to reroll class stats every time we switch between SMN and SCH that’s annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:29 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

gotta run to work. so ill have to stop typing updates.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:57 am 
Tough!
Tough!

http://goo.gl/Lr0DcF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:16 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

WHM's get a unicorn mount.

http://i.imgur.com/fjw2HzA.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:21 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Pretty certain he said it was a "conjurer" class quest, not a WHM one. Means it's also probably level 30 or below.

Seems kind of weird to tie it to a class quest though. Maybe they just want more people levelling healers? I dunno.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:30 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If we can name the unicorn I will have to call it Buttstallion in honor of BL2.

Epona would be good too, but that will be my choco name instead.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:36 am 
Even Match
Even Match

I thought you would have named your chocobo Epona... I need to play whatever DLC where she shits and pukes out guns...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:40 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

They also said there would be other mounts for other jobs (or classes, I guess?). And once it's unlocked, it can be used on other jobs.

That being said, I think there are already going to be too many WHMs in this game. I was a WHM before it was cool! Now I feel like I may have to be something else, since we have so many damned healers now.

</hipster whm>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:41 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Wow, this schedule really sucks for me. I might be able to play a little bit on the 18th and 19th before phase 4 ends, but then I won't be back until after labor day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:47 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

FYI a download link has appeared at:

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/inst/ffxivsetup.exe

It hasn't actually been officially linked, it's just the URL for the old client started working again. It installs a launcher that does not say Beta anywhere on it, and has a patch date of yesterday. It also made a non-beta "A Realm Reborn" folder in my documents. It's probably the real deal.

However, the launcher comes up with a big maintenance message, it won't download the game yet it seems.

EDIT: Remember you have to uninstall Phase 3 client first.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Krellis wrote:
I thought you would have named your chocobo Epona... I need to play whatever DLC where she shits and pukes out guns...

It's the Tiny Tina DLC. Lets play through it soon. It would be impossible on the new level of difficulty lol. I had trouble with it on the mid-level Ultimate Vault Hunter mode at some parts.

Ridere wrote:
They also said there would be other mounts for other jobs (or classes, I guess?). And once it's unlocked, it can be used on other jobs.

That being said, I think there are already going to be too many WHMs in this game. I was a WHM before it was cool! Now I feel like I may have to be something else, since we have so many damned healers now.

</hipster whm>

We don't have too many people playing only WHM, we have have a lot of people with most jobs maxed and I think people enjoy tanking or playing melee over healing. Athel is our only really good full-time WHM, so there is room for more if you want to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:19 am 

I'm always willing to take a turn at whm, but I don't consider myself as a whm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:34 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

the class i prefer differs day by day. but my go-to class is probably white mage. that's the one i feel like i'm best at. some days i just wanna play a melee or tank for fun though.

i've always preferred white mage because i dont trust other white mages to keep people alive. but in CKD i trust our white mages except for yarr (jk) to keep us alive, so i am free to go as a melee or tank. usually i just go with whatever is needed.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News