It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:55 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post subject: FFXIV / FFXIII Lightning Trailer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:42 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Cuz, you know, more Lightning.

Post subject: Re: FFXIV / FFXIII Lightning Trailer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:18 am 
Even Match
Even Match

those mnk weapons lol, the white axe looks cool, the bow is definitely the same bow from ff13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:07 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'll be honest. I couldn't care less about Lightning, or Shantotto. Well, I suppose I do care in the sense that I don't want them added if it's going to detract from the feel of 14.

The BLM relic quest was cool. You recover and restore an ancient weapon belonging to this great mage, Shantotto. That I can understand. But now everyone's gonna be running around with mini shantotto minions following them around? I don't get it.

haha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

They don't seem to be explicitly saying this anywhere, but there's been a few hints that this stuff (Lightning / Shantotto / etc) are actually going to be time limited events. Get the gear while the event is up or it'll be gone forever.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:48 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I kinda like these cross over events. In WoW they had the caverns of time instances where you could redo parts of WC3 and other lore, and it really was a ton of fun.

I could see crossover events with all the FF games really being as hit, as long as they were for fun things. Not serious end game content. Fighting Ultros would be great, they already used his 3D models in 13. It would be neat fight Sephirothh, or Kefka, or the 4 Fiends, or Sin. I hope they keep these going, and in more varieties than just FATEs.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/871200/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:02 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I don't mind boss fights and such, if they can work in some sort of rift/dimension tear/cheesy explanation for why it's happening. haha. I could buy into that.

I'm just not sure exactly why thousands of adventurers will be walking around with some epic, powerful mage, following them around as a mindless minion. Maybe it's like a Shantotto doll, or something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:13 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Did you not play FFXIII-2? Everything's s a time paradox!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:27 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I didn't play it, no. haha. I beat FF13, thought briefly about trying to farm those huge dinosaur guys to get the ultimate whatever it was you could get, and then quickly mothballed that idea.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:37 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ridere wrote:
I didn't play it, no. haha. I beat FF13, thought briefly about trying to farm those huge dinosaur guys to get the ultimate whatever it was you could get, and then quickly mothballed that idea.

I did that for so long, it's so tedious lol. Farm ingots from the dinosaur/large turtle mob in that second to last zone. Kill it, save and relaunch the game, kill it, save and relaunch the game, kill it save and relaunch the game, over and over and over.

Then after you max all the weapons you need to farm dark matter from shaolong gui (little turtle after they HQ) to update all of your armor and accessories to the max. You basically do the same thing with those.

Then you have to kill a Long Gui (HQ dinosaur) for e-peen.

Then you have to get 5 star on all the hunting side-quests.

I actually enjoyed that game enough to do all of that stuff for some reason. XIII-2 however....I couldn't even finish. The voice acting was so cheesy and terrible it made me cringe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:43 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Basically, FFXIII-2's plot is full of massive amounts of crap that makes absolutely no sense, and every character explains it with the word "paradox", regardless of whether it's actually a paradox, or would make any sense with any other word in it's place.

Not to mention the time travel mechanics were completely backwards. To change the past you have to alter the future (!?) that's a paradox. The fact that random encounter monsters spawn? That's a paradox. Lightning missing? Paradox. Lightning randomly not missing? Paradox. This elevator doesn't work? A paradox, of course. NPCs have silly fetch quests for you to do and exist as a weird red ball until you do it? Paradox. Treasure chests are invisible in this level? Paradox. You can see the future for no real explained reason? Paradox. Doing so kills you? Paradox. Ultros is a boss at the coliseum? Paradox, obviously.

By the end of the game you realise they use the word Paradox as a throw away for basically any shit they can't be bothered to actually explain (which was pretty much ALL of it).

FFXIII-2 actually fixed a LOT of the problems with FFXIII, running them off like a checklist. Story too linear? Fixed. Zones are all corridors? Fixed. No towns? Fixed. No mini-games? Fixed. Can't switch leader in battle? Fixed.

But the story was absolutely nonsensical, and if you finally made it through it all, it didn't even have an ending. Or rather, it would have if it cut to the credits 1 minute sooner. What a mess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:52 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That sounds pretty annoying about the "paradox". I only got about 3 hours into the game before I re-sold it. I doubt I will bother with FFXIII-3.

I actually liked the characters from the first FFXIII like Fang, Snow, and Lightning. I had Lightning as the backdrop on my computer for a long time. I didn't give Sera and Noel much of a chance in FFXIII-2. I hated both of them. Also that annoying moogle. It was like daggers in my ears every time it talked.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:10 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

ffxiii-2... forgot that even existed. i tried the demo on PSN and it was so bad i just pretended it never happened.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:45 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Ridere wrote:
I don't mind boss fights and such, if they can work in some sort of rift/dimension tear/cheesy explanation for why it's happening. haha. I could buy into that.

I'm just not sure exactly why thousands of adventurers will be walking around with some epic, powerful mage, following them around as a mindless minion. Maybe it's like a Shantotto doll, or something.

As far as I'm aware it will be a doll minion, not the actual Taru (or mini version of)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:49 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, that's easier to swallow, but still kinda silly. haha. I do like the idea of fighting some big Shantotto fight, though. Preferably as a big event, and not just every 30-60 minutes in Gridania somewhere. haha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:38 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I hope they aren't just FATEs for every event. 1000 people smashing Behemoth isn't very fun, I can't see Shantotto being any different.
Regardless I am excited for what they might do in the future :D

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/871200/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:49 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I don't like FF13 but the crossover is pretty cool tbh for them being able to do the character models and mobs the same way as in 13 it's pretty sweet. Also not so sure I want the star seeker bow for my BRD thing looks pretty fruity, although I will get it if it's better than relic which I am sure it's not going to be..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:54 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Im all for cool instances that let us relive famous Final Fantasy moments. Tanag mentioned the Caverns of Time in WoW. I also love the Caverns of Time and think doing the same thing in FFXIV would be awesome.

The only thing I don't like here is the fact that Shantotto is fate and notice a uber hard instance. I also hate the idea of Shantotto pets. One of the greatest black mages of all time reduced to a minion following people around.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News