It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:03 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post subject: Final Fantasy XIV "Exceeds Expectations"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:52 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Don't have the exact source at the moment, but according to Siliconera, SE have said that XIV is "exceeding expectations".

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/05/fi ... -increase/

SE's earning forecast for this financial half (the 6 months until September 2013) has been revised, citing Final Fantasy XIV as a main contributor, and has risen from a $20 million operating loss, to a $48 million operating profit. That's quite a turn around. Bear in mind that's not how much money the game made, that's how much money they expected to make (or lose) after taking away all the development/operating costs.

See Square, you put out good games and people give you money. That's how it works. Now put Yoshida in charge of the company already.

Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy XIV "Exceeds Expectations"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:04 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

This makes me happy. Squaresoft is responsible for making my favorite series of video games since I was a kid. It saddens me the company has lost so much money on unsuccesful games and projects (remember that first Final Fantasy movie? lol). If this relaunch was a dud...I can't even imagine.

It feels good to see FFXIV ARR is potentially generating enough revenue to dig them out of the hole. Maybe now they can afford to finish Kingdom Hearts 3 lol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, here's hoping the trend continues and everyone doesn't quit in the months we'll have between beating Turn 5 and patch 2.2.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:25 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Ridere wrote:
Yah, here's hoping the trend continues and everyone doesn't quit in the months we'll have between beating Turn 5 and patch 2.2.

>.>
<.<

Im glad to hear its doing well. Even if the game wasnt my cup of tea, something about the entire underdog story of YoshiP is extremely alluring. I really wanted to see him succeed and it appears he has. He was even made one of the heads of a new FF quailty control group SE recently established. Its a shame about Wada though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:08 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

They need to release the new patch soon. The current amount of content is more than enough to satsify people like me who play a few hours here and there, but I fear it's not enough to keep the hardcore players entertained. I know people are already complaining/getting bored/not playing as much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:57 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kio, you were asked about in Mumble the other night; we miss you. I wish there was more stuff in the game that was appealing to you, but I also can't blame you for not liking the twitchy/fast-paced aspect of the game. It is way different from the FFXI we played for many years together.

And Klu... while it doesn't bug me personally, the general consensus is that patch 2.1 will really offer no new end-game content. A new dungeon, yes. And I suppose it'll be a good place to replace a few i70 pieces with i80 pieces (if you don't already have i90), but it's not a progression patch. That won't happen until new turns of coil are released in 2.2. So there is definitely a chance for burn out.

It seems like it's both a blessing and a curse that I didn't have everything 50 in v1.0. I'm playing major catch up, but on the other hand, it's that many more weeks of stuff to do before I have to worry about running out of things to work on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:02 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah this game is sooooo different than XI or 1.0. The good news is it caters to a larger audience, the bad news is it's so fast paced it's hard to play well. I love it because it challenges my ADD and keeps me on my toes. I hate it because I screw up pretty often lol.

There are instances such as Wander's Palace speedrun, that I simply cannot do. I don't have the quick thinking and reaction time necessary to pull it off. I'm glad SE isn't making that kind of stuff mandatory like they did in 1.0, and they are in fact removing it from the game instead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:23 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm not too interested in speed runs, either. Seems like the increased focus needed to speed-run stuff, vs a bit of a more casual approach, is not worth it for me. Yah, you'll shave off 10 minutes on that run, or whatever. Great. I guess if you're wanting to do 20 runs a day for Philo, or something, but then what? lol

To me, it all boils down to the, "A candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long" haha. I really don't want to get burnt out with the game, and I can't help but think that a lot of those hitting it hardcore will.

And it sucks when we have to wait until 2.2 before we'll have new end-game content.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:55 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I Enjoy speed runs more for the "Challenge" it adds. I've already done Ampador Keep 100 times, why not make it more interesting by seeing if you can down the priest before he spawns the Davy Jones looking monster. Or killing wall before the Bees spawn.

Lack of Endgame content scares me a little bit for the future of XIV, I mean look what happened to SWTOR, fun game to level in, amazing PvP but eventually went F2P because they were not generating enough content. It really depends how fast they move on releasing these patches. If its three-four months before the next content update after 2.1 they might have some problems.

Somebody make me a Sig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 am 
Even Match
Even Match

This is your Davy Jones looking monster Harm, way to fail on the classics!! :trollface:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I need to finish replaying FF1 on my phone. Thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Dustdevil wrote:
This is your Davy Jones looking monster Harm, way to fail on the classics!! :trollface:

Oh I'm sorry I meant when the priest summons the "Wizard" well at least you knew exactly what I was talking about.

Somebody make me a Sig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:02 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Remember the Super Mario 3 demo in the movie "The Wizard?" That was pretty much the most exciting period of my childhood. I still get goosebumps when I watch that part of the movie.

Thread derail commenced.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 am 
Spammer, to the max!

I liked the Davy Jones reference lol, probably the best comparison as to what those things look like

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:47 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

See... thanks Kanye.

Somebody make me a Sig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:33 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Davy Jones?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Somewhere, my mom is shedding a single tear, because of that picture, Dust. haha

Huge monkees fan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:01 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Putting this thread back on track, these numbers have been made more specific by the site that posted the stuff in the original post.

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn has sold 1.45 million units (as of September 30th), not including all of the free copies given out to 1.0 owners. Approximately 350,000 were digital downloads.

The number of paid subscriptions has "surpassed Final Fantasy XI at it's peak" -- which makes it more than 600,000.

Supposedly the subscription forecast was 350,000. Meaning SE got twice as many players as they were expecting. I wonder if that means more staff on the project. Meaning more goodies for us.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:15 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I really do hope it means they can spend a bit more on staffing, yah. A few more GM's, more content developers. May be a few more customer service reps. lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:25 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I also liked the Davy Jones reference omg. I got all excited when they added mindflayers to FFXI in the ToA expansion. I went and got my ass kicked by one ASAP.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:09 pm 
The Original Dark Knight™
The Original Dark Knight™

That's good news, I am having fun playing with everyone again. Haha. But everytime I see the first boss of AK or mindflayers whatever... I think of Cthulhu. No one liked this game but me, but The Secret World had a hell of a Cthulhu boss.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News