It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News

Post subject: Re: The Hunt (another way to get Sands of Time)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:32 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Athel wrote:
Sands just cost the currency given from the hunt....kind of lame considering how slow they were to obtain from Coil alone.

im actually very glad its this way, not all of us can be uber coil goers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:46 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Kioko wrote:
Athel wrote:
Sands just cost the currency given from the hunt....kind of lame considering how slow they were to obtain from Coil alone.

I'm a firm believer that there are some things we should only be able to obtain by raiding. I think every MMO should be that way. I thought that way about WoW and I didn't raid. Raiding requires extra time and coordination and that should be rewarded. Additionally, if you're not raiding you really have no need for i110 gear anyway except to say you have it. I can understand the desire to be able to experience the game as a more casual player as I've been that person but casual and raiders should not necessarily share perks. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:52 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I pretty much agree with that. Do you need 110 to obliterate a hard mode dungeon :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:57 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Athel wrote:
Kioko wrote:
Athel wrote:

I'm a firm believer that there are some things we should only be able to obtain by raiding. I think every MMO should be that way. I thought that way about WoW and I didn't raid. Raiding requires extra time and coordination and that should be rewarded. Additionally, if you're not raiding you really have no need for i110 gear anyway except to say you have it. I can understand the desire to be able to experience the game as a more casual player as I've been that person but casual and raiders should not necessarily share perks. Just my 2 cents.

I agree 110% with you, Athel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:09 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I don't even know what Sands of Time are, but I want it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:13 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Murph wrote:
I don't even know what Sands of Time are, but I want it!

Upgrades "Weathered" i100 Weapons/Armor that you buy with Soldiery into completed i110 Weapons/Armor.

Normally only drops from Second Coil Turn 3 (Turn 8).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:15 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Ah, well then I like it. Haven't been able to PUG T7 yet...and I hear T8 is a bitch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:19 pm 
DL Hughley

We've been doing SCoB since it came out and we each only have one sand, except Corwin who most recently won the first of our new set.

I'm with Ath in principle but then again Dragoon "best" set involves mostly sand items (body, hand, leg, feet) so this will help me and alleviate the difficulty of distribution, hopefully.

Patch notes show sands of time being sold by Aelina, the girl who sells weird stuff like Odin gear and masterwork weapons. I was under the impression that with allied seals being exchangeable for sand it'd be at the GC. Are there two new ways to get sand? I'm still at work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:26 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Before people get their panties in too much of a twist over Sands of Time raining from the heavens. I killed this week's Elite Mark (admittedly it's only B rank) and got 20 allied seals.

The Sands of Time are traded at Revenant's Toll for 3 "Blood-spattered Mark Logs". You buy those from your GC HQ for 250 allied seals. So 750 allied seals total.

Oils of Time require 2 Blood-spattered Mark Logs. An Alexandrite costs 200 allied seals. Wind-up Succubus costs 500.

It seems it might be possible to kill marks again for a few extra seals, but you only get the bonus for it being the weekly mark the first time.

Elite Marks seem to spawn every hour or so, but can pop anywhere in the entire zone.

The daily marks only give 1 or 2 seals each, but you get a set of 5 different ones assigned to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:28 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Athel wrote:
Kioko wrote:
Athel wrote:

From a personal perspective I completely agree with this, however I don't think it's probably the most profitable approach. They are going to cater to the masses, even still i'm sure it will be a huge time sink for the casual players to get the same stuff you get raiding.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:39 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Murph wrote:

From a personal perspective I completely agree with this, however I don't think it's probably the most profitable approach. They are going to cater to the masses, even still i'm sure it will be a huge time sink for the casual players to get the same stuff you get raiding.

Ooooh! You're so right. As much as I'm an instant gratification girl, I do appreciate being rewarded for hard work, though. I think sands, oil, etc shouldn't be so easily accessible. It's ok, I'll deal and probably reap from it...but it would have been cool if different items were available to the "non-raider" demographic. I guess that would have been far too complicated, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:03 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Iolanthe wrote:
Murph wrote:

Ooooh! You're so right. As much as I'm an instant gratification girl, I do appreciate being rewarded for hard work, though. I think sands, oil, etc shouldn't be so easily accessible. It's ok, I'll deal and probably reap from it...but it would have been cool if different items were available to the "non-raider" demographic. I guess that would have been far too complicated, though.

From a business stand point it definitely makes more sense to do it the way they are and I am with Pie and will still reap the benefits of the new way of obtaining them so mostly I was just musing. :) I did see Ket that they will still be very slow to obtain but the time it takes to get them is irrelevant to the point I was making. :-b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:31 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If sands of time are as slow to obtain as Ket mentioned, it's no use getting upset about it. I doubt everybody will have maxed out gear anytime soon.

Coil still has a set of rare/ex high allagan gear and weapons that are only obtainable in coil right? It's no different than before. People can sport the coil gear to show off their experience. It sounds like the prior way of obtaining sands of time was horrible and unreliable. Some of you have been grinding that shit for months...you deserve to have more than one piece from it. Atleast now you can put in some extra effort on the side and slow grind your way to the next ilvl for some pieces of gear. It's a good thing :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:03 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

It looks like it is possible to get the blood spattered tome as a drop from an elite mark. You need 250 allied seals per book and turn in books to the girl in mor dhona for the sands/oils. Getting one of these drops cuts your needed myth a lot. So it looks like people will continue to spam kill elite marks making it hard to get credit for others

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:05 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Dustdevil wrote:
step 1. place baby in rocker next to comp

step 2. rock with foot

step 3. profit!

^^^ This is truth.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:44 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

as a filthy casual any fancy gear I get I will probably glamour it up to look like a level 1 item anyways. Ofcourse now that people are complaining about it, i might go and put some effo... nah nope not worth it for me. ill just afk in front of the house some more. :trollface:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:48 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I found quite a bit of B elites when trying to finish my daily hunts. Blue Garter was making a lit of all the B's, A's and even S ranked marks. We should set up a group to hunt some of the S ranked when the trigger becomes more known.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W5BDhL4pF7Zod8af2VGTGJo9oPbjx4RPKXYerGnGRbI/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true#

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, seems like a hunt LS is the way to go, if you're into that stuff. And then it's a matter of dropping whatever you're doing to go out and hunt one.

Some people are claiming to have gotten over 500+ allied seals in a given day. I think I heard someone claim 800+. I'm not sure the hours required to meet those requirements, or if it's BS. But it's worth noting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

That seems really high I mean the S ranked ones drop 50 seals max and they are very rare 500+ seems like they farmed the shit out of them idk.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:30 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I farmed the shit out of your MOM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:52 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, who knows. I don't see myself getting a ton of them super fast. I didn't even know you could buy sands with them. But at 750/pop doesn't seem like i110 unweathered gear will exactly be raining down like mana from heaven.

And really, letting people buy sands 3 months after content is released doesn't seem like it's a huge slap in the face to raiders. Those hardcore people had that stuff on lock in less than a month with crafted gear and materia.

Bards aren't going to exactly be singing songs about the group who beats Turns 6-9 3 months after the world first, so whether they had to use their "wellfare" gear, or not, to do so seems to be a bit of a nitpicky distinction for those of us who fall in the "not raiding 12 hours a day" category of play style.

Besides, at the rate at which people quit end-game raiding, it's not a bad idea to have alternate ways of helping people to gear up a bit quicker for that stuff that's old enough to have lost any sort of bragging rights, but new enough to where there isn't any new content to tackle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:28 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

God damn it AZ! but yeah I think it's a good idea for them to do this but not sure how much I like the fact that NM's are back that was the least favorite part in 11 for me.

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Updates & News