It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Teh IRL™ Boards

Post subject: The You Thread™
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:48 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Now that we have some new members and some people that are checking in to the forums after many years, I thought I'd make a thread for people to get to know each other better.

So I'll start.

I'm 29, turning 30 on June 4th, I live in Atlanta where I've been for most of the last 20 years (Oklahoma for 2 years, Austin for 2 years, Houston for 1 year). I go to Emory University where I'm a struggling graduate student in my 4th year of probably 7 for a PhD. I study eye cancer and metastasis to the liver.

I played FF11 from NA release in October 2003 until the summer of 2005, where I met many of you guys. I didn't play any MMO before or since. Mostly played Call of Duty MW1 and MW2 in the last couple years. My 2009 was a tragic year that I won't go into but 2010 was much better. 2011 has been good too, so I'm happy.

I like FF14, and I'm very excited about the changes that will be made to make it better. I never was a DD in FF11 so playing Marauder has certainly been new and fun. I do plan on leveling a healer class too.

Some of my irl interests are: I like playing electric guitar and drums, I love metal like Metallica Slayer Pantera etc, I enjoy racquetball, I like discussing science and philosophy, playing chess, writing poetry, and lately enjoyed cooking. I usually hang out with irl friends on the weekends so I don't play FF14 as much then.

I'm about to go to lunch with a chick who is quite awesome. Wish she came around more often. Wish me luck haha

ps - gonna attach a pic, that's me in the middle, and that Thunderstomp on the left, TS's sister 3rd and his sisters friend on the right:

Post subject: Re: The You Thread™
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:49 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

In for later. (once i get home from work)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Good idea whisp.

Like Whisp Im 29, but Im turning 30 in April. I've lived in the same city my entire life. Although I lived in Windsor Ontario every other weekend when I first met my wife (She went to school there).

I started playing FFXI in the NA beta. I became a writer for IGN's FFXI website and in turn became a mod on the forums. I started playing FFXI on day 1 and had some fame from being a writer and IGN mod. I met lots of friends (you know who you are) in FFXI and met many more here on the forums.

I quit FFXI after me and an ex broke up and I needed to focus on my social life. Some people may remember my ex from the forums. She posted here a lot too. In the year after I quit FFXI I started dating again and shortly after that I met my wife. As luck would have it we ended up running into each other while she was visiting home (she lived in Windsor while she went to school). We were married in October of 2008 and have been happy every since. No kids! huzzah!

I work for a very large and loved Canadian company called Tim Hortons. I've worked there for the last 10 years. I love the company and I love what it is to canadian culture. Its a great job because I really like my team. I have about 25ish people who report to me and my counterpart.

It took me a while to get a good picture of just me. Almost of all of my pictures are of me acting like a moron with one of my nieces or nephews. So Im posting one of two pictures I have of just me. Im making a superhero pose as my wife takes a picture before I go gokarting. The second is my wifes favorite picture of us. We were at a wedding (not ours) and someone took the picture and emailed it to my wife.

I'll post some funny pictures. I think Mikey is coming down soon. Ill try and take a good picture of Mikey, Talisin and myself.

Attachments:
Brian and Julie.jpg
Brian and Julie.jpg [ 32.54 KiB | Viewed 7655 times ]
Superhero.jpg
Superhero.jpg [ 425.96 KiB | Viewed 7655 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:44 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I've heard of Tim Hortons. My Canadian coworkers mentioned it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:47 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Whisp wrote:
I've heard of Tim Hortons. My Canadian coworkers mentioned it.

you not talking about that Hortons coffee place are ya?

I will post my in next few day, just busy atm irl.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:04 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Someone else has got to reply with a quick bio lol.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i think people are too busy enjoying FFXIV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:02 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

I'm 24 (25 in 3 weeks). Lived in Michigan all my life; most of it in the SE area near Detroit, but I went to college on the west side, along Lake Michigan.

Started playing FFXI Jan 2004 with friends from a previous game. Spent most of my first year being casual with them. Pretty much all my encounters with CKD made me think they were a bunch of arrogant assholes. Eventually I ended up doing CoP missions with some CKD members and realized I was an arrogant asshole too, so I eventually joined.

I quit in 05 or 06 when the game devolved into sitting in Aht Urghan all day, waiting for king camps, and waiting 4+ months for the next update. I gave my account away to someone who got banned. They then sold that account, so I've never had much interest in going back.

Outside of FFXI and FFXIV, I play other video games, read fantasy novels, and watch a lot of anime. Recently I started going to a local gym for their indoor rock climbing walls. I've become quite hooked on that.

I work in the IT department for Dominos Pizza. I work at the corporate headquarters, so I rarely have to deal with stores. I've only been there for 2 years, but other than the seriously fucked up hours I work, I really like it.

No picture at the moment. Maybe if a certain Canadian had been willing to meet IRL I'd have a good one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:56 am 
Spammer, to the max!

If Seth Rogan and Nick Swardson had a baby, it would be Yarr :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:26 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Last edited by Kluya on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:23 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Corwin wrote:
I'm 24 (25 in 3 weeks). Lived in Michigan all my life; most of it in the SE area near Detroit

There's a Square Enix area of Detroit?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:20 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

lol whisp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:50 am 
DL Hughley

25, turn 26 in May. Born and raised in NJ I started playing FFXI May 4th 2004, took a few short breaks here and there and a 1 year break between September '09-september '10. I joined Valour linkshell for endgame activities on an invite from Skibear and stayed in from June '05-September '06. Never stayed with any other endgame linkshell for so long and mostly played solo or socially. During that time started posting here and became a regular forum member. I was never in CKD and didn't raid dynamis with cheeseburgers or ckdferrow but I was entered into the CIRCLE OF TRUST AND BUTTSEX with yarr a few years ago. I've also been to Mikey's house which puts me into the top tier of forum whores!

I worked in customer service and client relations for an online restaurant ordering company based in NYC but was laid off after about 21 months, nine people ate it that day. It wasn't a rocket science job but I was good at it and enjoyed it well enough. Spent most of my days going straight from work to various random metal shows around the city. I had travelled to Minnesota before for major metal shows and through people I knew there found a place to live.

Moved from NJ to MN last June. I'm not in a hurry to do much of anything. I work security at a bar/concert hall that puts on shows covering a surprisingly wide range of music and audiences, though the specialty is metal ranging from the guys who live upstairs to bands from across the world. I'll look for a day job when I have to and a career when I want to.

I don't need to post anymore god damn pictures here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:14 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Whats up everybody from Ifrit.. Haven't been on these forums in forever but somehow ended up here. Interestingly enough, I started this game when I was 13 so many of you still think I'm that annoying guy with the weird name hahahaha. It amazes me how long it's been since I started. I'm 20 now and i was born and raised in New Jersey. My first LS was ThoseWhoWill led by Anthon, and then I moved to Melior. They weren't really nice people but that's a different story.

I graduated from culinary school recently and just picked up a job in Center City. I traveled overseas to France and Germany to study culinary with my school. Right now I play Black Ops whenever I have spare time, I played a little bit of WoW but I chose not to get sucked into another MMORPG. I'm considering FFXIV, but from what I've heard its horrible...

Cheers?

P.S never forget Ulgokiem

Attachments:
File comment: Vineyard in Ribeauville, France
302.JPG
302.JPG [ 2.38 MiB | Viewed 7530 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:54 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So add another 29 to the list. Will be 30 in June.

I started playing FF11 sometime in November of 2003. I knew that 11 was going to be an online game from various websites, but I really didn't follow it at all. A random coworker mentioned that he recently bought it and was playing around, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I hopped around in a few linkshells my first month, was in an LS with Rein and Lim, I believe. At least Rein for sure. Was still pretty nooby in our Valkurm Dunes party, wearing my subligar, when I was told about the subjob quest and holding onto this Crab Apron 'cause it was important.

Like most fresh linkshells back then, they slowly died out, and I ended up in a linkshell with Cyntari and some others that would ultimately quit for WoW and such. Somewhere around here, I took a few breaks for maybe around a month, or so.

When I came back, I believe the LS Mordana had formed by then. Ket was there, as were a few others. I joined it and Hokuten (May have been in hokuten by then) and ultimately started hanging out with the Hokuten folks that would form CKD - Kayne and Yarr in particular. Our bonding mainly occured in the form of WHM + Kayne Avatar fights. lol

When CKD formed, I had a hard time balancing CKD and Mordana. There were a few people I'd have felt really bad completely abandoning, so I convinced them all to apply/join CKD instead. Ket may have remembered who ultimately fled Mordana (And crazy Capzero) for CKD, but I know at least he and Cyntari left. I believe a redmage also came. Elvaan fellow. Croucant? I forget.

After having been a bit bored with the game for a few months, and probably just in need of a break, I ended up giving my account to Katariana back in May 2005, just as I graduated college, and the rest is history.

IRL, I had been working I/T for a company I joined shortly after graduating. More recently, however, I took a new job within the same company doing energy scheduling stuff. Should be pretty exciting, as I get to buy a house soon and everything. woo hoo!

I have an awesome pic of me standing in front Cape Disappointment, but it's on Kitty's facebook account, so I need to save it and upload it to my own. But I'm at work, alas, so I'll see if I can add it later.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:28 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I didn't go into my FF11 story much in my original post. Basically I started playing with my roommate Wes in October 2003. He had to beg me to play it cause I was against MMOs. I rolled an elvaan thief named Avulus and he rolled an elvaan white mage named Vicrov.

After about 3 weeks, we decided we wanted to re-roll our characters as a taru named Whisp and galka named Thunderstomp. So we started all over.

In December 2003 I was probably almost level 40 when TS and I had a party with Yarr. The next night we partied with him again, and again, and again, we got pearls to Hokuten, and ended up partying with him almost every night for like 3 months.

The perma party that developed was PLD DRG DRK BLM WHM WHM-- Shiloh Thunderstomp Scyth Nippler Yarr and me. In hindsight, with no refresh, the setup kinda sucked. But we made it work. We leveled up really fast, mostly cause we partied like 5 or 6 nights of the week. Nippler eventually got tired of no refresh and left us. Mikey took his place and didnt complain, he even meleed with his knife which was epic lol. About 2 months later, our DRK Scyth just up and vanished. He sent us his gear and disappeared never to be heard of again. We all got along with him great and he was generally happy and having a good time, so we were kinda sad that he never came back. We had people fill in for him like Nekote and Sesshourmaru, but never really replaced him.

Thunderstomp was the next to quit. He thought he played too much and didn't want it taking over his irl. Then at level 65 I quit for about a month and a half. I had no plans on returning, deleting my character, but of course, I decided to play again. haha. I tried to get back on Ifrit but couldn't so I ended up on Seraph. For about a week. Got my taru monk to level 10. Then I got an email that I got the old Whisp back through the recovery process. I logged on and found Shiloh (remember at this time we didn't have yarrthepirate forums). He invited me to his new perma and I jumped right back into end game exp. It was really tough at first. I was very rusty. I forgot how to cure and enfeeble etc in fast-paced parties. The first night back, Shiloh told me of CKD and the yarrthepirate forums which had just begun like a week before.

After getting to level 75 white mage, I was really active in CKD. But I clashed a lot with some members, mostly Kailyn who branded Shiloh and me as loot whores because we got some drop he wanted. So I quit CKD for a few months until Kailyn was gone and then I came back. Thunderstomp finally decided to play again and we leveled bard(me) and monk(him) to 75, which was much quicker than before. I kept on playin and killing NMs and doing quests and shit until the summer of 2005 when I started back in school.

Gave Whisp to Severus who quickly got it banned for hacking.

Five years later, I reactivated as "Whispy" and got to mid 60s red mage before FF14 beta started.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:33 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Quote:
But I clashed a lot with some members, mostly Kailyn who branded Shiloh and me as loot whores because we got some drop he wanted.

Kailyn was like that. haha. I sort of equate him to being like the more gruff edgy counterpart to the nice Peejo. lol. (Being polite, since they pop in every now and then, or at least Peejo does <3)

Kailyn and I clashed over the only piece of gear I ever covetted in FFXI - Noble's Tunic. Shining Cloth was basically unheard of to NA back then, so there was all this talk about how if it dropped, it'd only be available to WHM75, which I disagreed with, 'cause I wasn't 75 :P haha. I believe I was ~68.

I still remember the conversation happening. I hadn't been taking fully through the ZM storyline yet, so I wasn't able to help out on the Sky NMs. I was fishing at the one good pond in La Theine Plateau, as they headed off up to sky.

I eventually relented and used it as a reason to quickly level up as fast as I could. Turns out the first CKD noble's tunic ended up going to Hitmanr the WHM73. I was annoyed that the rule didn't seem to apply anymore, but Hitmanr was a nice person, so I got over it. Kailyn had quit by then, so perhaps the rule only existed for him. hah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:07 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

age 30, male, oregon.
started playing ffxi a long time ago after i saw ridere playing. he wouldnt invite me to CKD cause he thought i was a noob. he did give me gil thou. when i finally got close enough to 75 so I could join, he quit for WoW.
Joined him in WoW a year later, finally caught up to him, we did some instance and quit, played ffxi again with new characters, no armor so quit, played WoW, instances where boring and hated grinding for new gear every month. FFXIV was announced, quit WoW the next day, played console games and starcraft 2 til beta.

Don't remember any of the LS's or guilds I was in, but they where all social so it doesn't matter, I think I was in a guild with Pammy for a while.

personal life, I work in the IT field, I hate it but its all i can do so im sticking with it till I die or find something better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:10 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That's crazy that Whisp, Ridere, and I are all turning 30 in June haha. Good stuff. It's interesting reading everybody's ffxi backstories also!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:08 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, my birthday is June 6th, so only two days after Whisp's omg!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:58 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i powerleveled the last few hours in my mom's womb so i could beat ridere to being birthed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:30 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:02 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Kluya wrote:
That's crazy that Whisp, Ridere, and I are all turning 30 in June haha. Good stuff. It's interesting reading everybody's ffxi backstories also!

If I was super rich I would fly us all out to Vegas, even though Im 2 months older than you newbies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:56 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

1st pic: me in the back, friend on the left, my bro Chris on the right
2nd pic: me and my bro
3rd pic: old perma in crawlers nest posed for a screenshot, see if you can find my foot
4th pic: Back by popular demand!

Attachments:
7.JPG
7.JPG [ 54.13 KiB | Viewed 7441 times ]
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 91.02 KiB | Viewed 7441 times ]
Perma.jpg
Perma.jpg [ 35.41 KiB | Viewed 7441 times ]
n22615398_30108434_2718.jpg
n22615398_30108434_2718.jpg [ 55.79 KiB | Viewed 7441 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:27 am