It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » World News & Real Life

Post subject: Osama Bin Laden killed by US forces
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:09 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

didn't see a post yet and thought id throw this up. Pretty important for anyone from the US (i have no clue how other countries know or think of the issue).

I don't know too many details but so far ive seen on the news the Osama Bin Laden has officially been killed by US forces. They have his body and have confirmed with DNA test.

id post a link but really just google "osama bin laden killed", theres about a billion articles from every news site ever.

Post subject: Re: Osama Bin Laden killed by US forces
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:23 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Very big news! Im glad we finally got that bastard.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

This is my favorite part in all of this:

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:08 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

It's the first thing in the morning so I've not been to other news sites yet, and I read this title as "[Obama] killed by US forces" and figured it was a joke because I couldn't see why the US military would kill their own president.

Btw how do they even have his DNA on record to confirm it's him?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:42 am 
Spammer, to the max!

yea ket, the whole thing reeks of bullshit

first off, the dna thing

second, America looks like a bunch of savages celebrating someone's death, even if he was a total douche

third, the whole "buried at sea" in "keeping with Muslim tradition" thing by burying him within one day. Was riddling him with bullets part of Muslim tradition as well? I don't really see the US giving two craps about religion when they spent exorbitant amounts of money and lives searching for a single person whose death changes absolutely nothing.

fourth, as mentioned above, this doesn't change anything. If anything, it'll probably cause some sort of retaliation. Actually, I take that back. It'll change things IF they let the soldiers over there go home, and while I don't see that happening anytime soon, I hope I'm wrong about that.

Not trying to be a total pessimist about the whole thing, but it's just extremely strange.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:47 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

they have DNA from his sister apparently so they can compare

im glad he's dead. mostly because i feel like justice was served in the only way it could be served.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:55 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That's stupid. It's only a PR stunt for the 2012 election.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:50 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kayne wrote:
America looks like a bunch of savages celebrating someone's death, even if he was a total douche

Yeah I don't know what to think about this. I heard that people were all celebrating outside chanting "USA" and singing the national anthem and stuff and I was just like, dude what. Ok fine he was a terrorist leader and probably indirectly responsible for a lot of deaths, but something about dancing in the streets about it feels wrong. I can't really explain it but the thought of millions of people celebrating someone's death just seems off.

I wouldn't be surprised if it sparks some kind of retaliation. Especially in any splinter cells still hiding and active here in the west, it's not like they're not going to catch wind of it when it's all over the news and people are dancing in the streets about it. Not that I want it to happen but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they're currently thinking "they killed our leader and are being disrespectful and even celebrating it, so lets plan some big attack on something huge."

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:02 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

of course there is a fear of retaliation, but this really had to be done. leaving him in peace or capturing him alive and sending him to trial were not options. im glad this guy finally got his due. disposing of his body respectfully was only done for muslims and middle easterners everywhere. what would have been more proper is to have ripped him apart and posted his dismantled corpse on totems erected at ground zero for people to spit and piss on.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:13 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Whisp wrote:
what would have been more proper is to have ripped him apart and posted his dismantled corpse on totems erected at ground zero for people to spit and piss on.

haha love it

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

A few things...

Osama Bin Laden: 2001-2011 World Hide 'n Seek Champion

The dude was lame, good riddance. Those radicals would/will continue to do crap, either way, so I don't think we put ourselves at more risk by taking him out. I think it was necessary.

Celebrating in the streets is probably poor form, but have you seen pictures of the ticker-tape parades celebrating V.E Day and V.J Day for world war II? Sure, they're not equal events, but the attacks on 9/11 were the biggest attacks on U.S. soil since Pearl Harbor, so there is some reason to celebrate some form of justice. It also hopefully provides a bit of closure to the families of ~3000 people.

People are going to hate us, and come up with reasons to complain, nomatter what. I'm just happy I live in a country where people can bitch and not get thrown in jail about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:18 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Oh, and the whole water burial thing...

Osama is going to be considered a Martyr by many, many people. He's probably hated by even more. The last thing anyone needed was to have him buried/placed anywhere that people could visit.

It's far better making him crab food than it is giving people a place to visit to love/hate on him. I don't think it had much of anything to do about religious reasons as it did to just not want to have a point people could visit.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:30 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Oh snap son!

Attachments:
sorry.jpg
sorry.jpg [ 34.12 KiB | Viewed 5411 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:37 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

This is a big deal to Americans. I’m not overly patriotic, but 9/11 affected me like it did many others. Even if Osama wasn’t the only mastermind behind the attacks, I wanted to see him pay. I LOVE that a team of US Navy Seals (some of the biggest badasses in our military) infiltrated his fortress killing everybody, without a single casualty on our end. IMO there is no better way for justice to be served on that piece of trash.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:45 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Agreed

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Quote:
yea ket, the whole thing reeks of bullshit

did it just get glennbeck in here? Maybe they buried his body in the studio where they faked the moon landing.

Quote:
third, the whole "buried at sea" in "keeping with Muslim tradition" thing by burying him within one day. Was riddling him with bullets part of Muslim tradition as well? I don't really see the US giving two craps about religion when they spent exorbitant amounts of money and lives searching for a single person whose death changes absolutely nothing.

First, I believe he was shot once in the head that isnt exactly "riddled". As ridere said, he was buried at sea to prevent any sort of shrine/pilgrimage on one side or mass defilement from the other. The administration is having to walk a tightrope between satsifying the ppl here and the ppl in the middleeast. They kept with Muslim tradition the best they could under the circumstances. If you want to be so critical, what would you have done knowing that if you cater to his burial rights too much, people here would be upset because, in many cases, the families' of the victims of 9/11 had no remains to bury. On the otherhand, If you trapsed his corpse around for weeks to satiate the "unless i see it, it didnt happen" crowd or the corpse mutilation crowd, it would only help in terrorist recruitment. Lastly, youre talking about a timeline that spanned difference administrations. Not every administration is going to prioritize religious rights the same.

Quote:
second, America looks like a bunch of savages celebrating someone's death, even if he was a total douche

I'm personally more ashamed of all the conspiracy theories that pop up and become so mainstream. I wouldn't have personally been out there celebrating but its human nature to seek revenge. Its not like anyone suddenly thinks the two wars are justified just because bin laden is dead. If you find the redo button, let me know. But until such a time, with our troops already scheduled to start pulling out this year, our possible outcomes were waste 10years and trillions of dollars for no/little reason in iraq and largely futile reasons in afganistan and fail to even get our number 1 symbolic target, or waste 10years and trillions of dollars but have a small silver lining near the end of deployment

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:57 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

I don't think anyone is conciously celebrating death. I think its celebrating victory. we spent 10 years seeking justice to the mastermind who killed thousands and we finally got him. That's going to cause celebration, but i think the links to the savagery about it are a little extreme.

Also the swift burial is mostly a PR move because we have so much tension with the middle east and muslims in general we dont need to give them any extra reason to hate us.

I just think people will always celebrate victory for your country. Just like people always celebrate the winning of any war. While this may not be the "end" of the battle against terrorists, osama bin laden was still the founder of al qaeda and a rather intelligent man who lead the group. Its pretty hard to argue that theyre not weaker without him.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:07 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

[quote="rydallFirst, I believe he was shot once in the head that isnt exactly "riddled".[/quote]

I read it was a double tap to the left side of his face, pretty brutal.

Source:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_exclusive/20110502/pl_yblog_exclusive/the-secret-team-that-killed-bin-laden

I remember the extremists's and anti-americans dancing and celebrating after 9/11/01. That to me was celebrating death. So it really doesnt bother me to see Americans celebrating the successful mission of bringing down the guy that took credit for it. Just sucks it took so long.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:11 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
Kayne wrote:
America looks like a bunch of savages celebrating someone's death, even if he was a total douche

Yeah I don't know what to think about this. I heard that people were all celebrating outside chanting "USA" and singing the national anthem and stuff and I was just like, dude what. Ok fine he was a terrorist leader and probably indirectly responsible for a lot of deaths, but something about dancing in the streets about it feels wrong. I can't really explain it but the thought of millions of people celebrating someone's death just seems off.

I wouldn't be surprised if it sparks some kind of retaliation. Especially in any splinter cells still hiding and active here in the west, it's not like they're not going to catch wind of it when it's all over the news and people are dancing in the streets about it. Not that I want it to happen but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they're currently thinking "they killed our leader and are being disrespectful and even celebrating it, so lets plan some big attack on something huge."

For the past 10 years here, it's basically been like he was the boogeyman, and our whole presence in the Middle East was to find him

Ponuh wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:59 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Just to clear things up, burial at sea is in keeping with the muslim faith. I think it was appropriate for them to follow through and reportingly used the correct guidelines for such. However, they're not saying exactly where which also helps in preventing pilgramages.

Quote:
Osama Bin Laden: 2001-2011 World Hide 'n Seek Champion

lol...

As per whisp's statements, I have to say i feel the opposit. We're talking about a culture which glorifies dying and sucide in the name of fighting the US. For Osama to die in fire fight against American soldiers, regardless of his loss, he will be hailed a hero from his supporters. It's ultimately what he wanted, what they wanted. It'd have been more fitting an end to have seen him rot in whats left of guantanamo bay and see if we coudl get him to rat out anyone else. I'd have been much more satisfied just having him sit in there humiliated the rest of his life.

The whole thing doesn't sit well with me either. Sure, ok he was a casualty of war. That's one thing, but the celebration of it feels wrong. It only seems to fuel bad stereotypes of americans from a people whom are just fishing for things to hate about us. I feel like a fish snagged on a lure, doing exactly what they expected from us.

I also worry about the inevitable retaliation. For the life of one guy, we may have to pay with many more american and ally lives. And that just doesn't seem worth it.

Capturing him alive, likely wasnt an option I suppose. But as someone above stated, celebrating it just feels like poor form.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:18 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:45 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

the mere thought that he's alive and rotting in a prison somewhere means his will to do harm to our families hasn't been extinguished. with him gone, we can finally move on with our normal lives. we dont want to leave the chance for a sequel to this movie.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:39 pm 
DL Hughley

Quote:

Yeah, I found that a little odd. Seemed like the kind of thing they show fanatic militant types doing in the streets in the middle east.

Quote:
this doesn't change anything

Pretty much sums up my entire feeling on it.

Board index » Community » World News & Real Life