It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:12 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology

Post subject: Alienware
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:27 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

So alienware has a fancy netbook. m11x, I kinda want it, should i get it? Ridere said no cause its tiny and it would be lame to play ffxiv on it. but! i like the fact that i can get a gaming laptop that small. what should I do?!

Post subject: Re: Alienware
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If the size doesn't bother you, go for it. Their laptops are badass.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:11 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

I would like to get newer lappy but not this year due to my desktop died on me lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

dont those get hot as hell?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Ringo wrote:
dont those get hot as hell?

Don't most with a video card and an i7 get really hot?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:26 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

tehkei wrote:
Don't most with a video card and an i7 get really hot?

Yeah but on laptops you're limited on cooling methods. I'd say go for it, if you have the money and really want it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:15 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

i have an m17x (got this one mostly because of the numeric key pad), it plays in my lap fine. sure it gets a bit hot sometimes but nothing like nearly all of these laptops out there where you cant even touch the machine. i remember looking at the 11 once, only thing that seemed like a pain is no internal disc drive, but i guess thats not so bad. i can run two instances of xiv on it pretty well too

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:09 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If you've got money to waste, sure.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:06 am 
Spammer, to the max!

i dunno, im not a big computer geek, but what i got seemed comparable to other brands with the same specs. it seems anytime i mention alienware ppl hate on it immediately, much like apple products, im not sure what the big hate is for lol. my friend said the same thing about wasting money etc till he saw the specs and the price and said, nvm thats not bad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:01 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I wasn't hating on alienware. Just hating on an 11 inch screen for a "gaming" laptop, with no optical drive, so if you want to watch movies/tv shows on the road, you gotta put in a disc into a different computer, rip the media, put it on a thumb drive and transfer it to the alienware laptop. haha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:27 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I've heard people hate on Alienware, saying it's overpriced. I have nothing bad to say about them. They make killer PCs and laptops. Obviously if you want a cheaper desktop PC, build it yourself and save like $600 (same as any). But as far as gaming laptops go, I'd rather have an Alienware than something else.

I looked that one up, and I agree not having an internal disc drive could get annoying on the road. I'd just buy the dell external disc drive. Not a huge deal. I rip all my DVDs to my comp anyways (so I can transfer them to my iPad for the road). It's not bad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:36 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

I already have a nice desktop at home, now I need a new laptop, since i will be working weekends now (starting Sep 18) I would like to take this laptop to work, I dont want something bulky or something that my co-workers can look over and see what im playing (Ridere knows who I'm talking about) an m11x would be perfect, to play minecraft, the sims ect. I can get a bigger one M14x that has a cd drive but with that, the potential of lookielos increases...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kitty works with a few employees who were born to work a government job. Stand around talking all day, holding a coffee cup, and bug you when you're trying to get crap done, by leaning against your cubical, asking, "Got any plans for the weekend?" And this is on a Monday.

Bunch of Lumbergs from Office Space.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:00 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Looks like Dell came out with a new Aluminum cased Laptops that look nice. the XPS 15z is the one i would be interested, they look like Mac clones and are almost priced as that. Thou, the 14 inch alienware has a bit better stats for about the same price. I would be getting a Dell product be it Dell or Alienware (I have always had bad luck with HP/Compaq)

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15z/pd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:43 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I play games on an eepc and it suits me just fine, the size doesn't bother me when everything is scaled down just the same. The one thing that might end up bugging you is the excessive text an mmo requires, but FFXIV has everything huge like xbox and this upcoming patch you can increase font size so it shouldn't matter.

Personally speaking though, I think alienware is way overpriced for what it is. I'd reccomend you shopping around to make absolutely sure before you take the plunge into it that you're getting your dollar's worth.

About the no optical drive, that's not really bothersome either. Most respectable games and media use clouds now and you can always buy a portable external if you really want. I've come across very few instances where I wish I had one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:32 pm 

I still have my old Dell M170 XPS and darn thing still works and also as server for Terraria, Address is at 66.215.182.62 port 7777 password is our 3 letter clan. Top of that I can also play my FFXI still.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:27 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Dell purchased the Alienware line a few years back. my first real desktop was an Alienware before they sold. it was overpriced, but i was also clueless to PC components at the time so i made no difference really lol. a great product at the the time, not sure now with the Dell acquisition.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:17 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Frys electronics has a few Alienware desktops and laptops on display (I go there about once a week lol).

Their laptop’s look awesome. The one I recently played with had really neat lighting in the keyboard. It was about 5 different colors all rainbowed together with cool lighting on the outside as well. I love the glowing alienhead on the back. I actually own an alienware illuminated keyboard because I like the logo so much haha. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Keyboards/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-6214

Their desktops are WAY overpriced since you can easily outbuild one for a lot less. For example they charge around $1000 to upgrade from 6GB to 12GB of RAM…which can be done for less than $150 on your own. The laptops aren’t too overpriced IMO….if you want a quality gaming laptop. My sister just paid $2500 for a 17” macbook with an I5 processor and weak ass graphics card….now THAT is a waste of $$.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:55 pm 

Frys Electronics here in Southern Calfornia was busted few years back for selling repaired motherboard as new.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:19 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Kluya wrote:
Frys electronics has a few Alienware desktops and laptops on display (I go there about once a week lol).

Their laptop’s look awesome. The one I recently played with had really neat lighting in the keyboard. It was about 5 different colors all rainbowed together with cool lighting on the outside as well. I love the glowing alienhead on the back. I actually own an alienware illuminated keyboard because I like the logo so much haha. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Keyboards/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-6214

Their desktops are WAY overpriced since you can easily outbuild one for a lot less. For example they charge around $1000 to upgrade from 6GB to 12GB of RAM…which can be done for less than $150 on your own. The laptops aren’t too overpriced IMO….if you want a quality gaming laptop. My sister just paid $2500 for a 17” macbook with an I5 processor and weak ass graphics card….now THAT is a waste of $$.

interesting keyboard. looks like it has like 6 macro buttons. Still undecided about the computer. which ever one i pick, will probably run hot anyways. the alienware seems nicely priced for what it has.

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology