It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology

Post subject: Resizing FRAPS videos for youtube
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:32 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yarr and Ket have both posted videos that have good youtube quality.

What do you resize them with? I am recording videos at 60FPS 1/2 resolution and a 15 minute video is still about 11-12GB.

I simply want to be able to resize it for youtube. I would prefer to avoid downloading shady free-ware from the net.

Post subject: Re: Resizing FRAPS videos for youtube
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:20 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

"Resize" it with whatever program you're using to edit it. You are using something to edit it, right?

Fraps makes like one video for every 4GB of footage, which will only be about 2 minutes of video at a high resolution. You have to stitch them back together into one video, and remove any trailing or leading footage before or after what you actually wanted in the video.

You need to be using something like Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas (what I personally use). These are professional programs (not shady freeware) for doing video editing with. It's possible to just use Windows Movie Maker but I wouldn't recommend it if you can get ahold of anything else.

You need to do the stitching and cropping and then have a rendering profile set up that'll encode the video into something Youtube likes with a small filesize but high bitrate. I've actually found WMV to come out with better video than MP4 (MP4 seems to crush my lighting for some reason? Could just be Vegas.). Encoding is a slow process that can take a good hour even on a fast computer.

First Tip: Don't use 60 FPS 1/2 resolution. Youtube doesn't take 60 FPS video (it'll convert it to 30), and Fraps "1/2 resolution" doesn't do a very good job of downsizing your video (it'll look aliased). Use 30FPS full resolution for a much much better quality end product.

Second Tip: Youtube will do a great job of re-encoding your video for HD, 480p, etc. Providing you send them the video at as high a resolution and bitrate as your upload internet bandwidth will take. I personally use 6MB/s bitrate at 720p, with an encoding profile set to resize 1680x1050 to 1152x720 at 1:1 pixel aspect ratio. Depending on your monitor's resolution you may need something else.

If you have no idea what the hell I'm talking about you're probably better off hitting me up on AIM or something where I can throw screencaps at you to show you how I do it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

need to open an Ask Ket Advice Column sub forum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:18 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That was a very informative post, and answered everything I wanted to know 100%. I will get Sony Vegas and start messing around with it.

I will also start recording at full res 30 fps. Thanks for all the info Ket!

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology