It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology

Post subject: Microsoft Unveils Outlook.com, Hotmail's Successor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:00 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-out ... boxes.aspx

Its a good old fashioned land grab for email addresses. I dont really use webmail, but I still grabbed my name. I couldnt get my first and last name (Sadly I share a name with a famous Beachboy) but I did get Yarr at outlook dot com and I was pretty surprised I got my wifes firstname and lastname @outlook.com. I also got one for my brother.

Ill probably never use yarr at outlook dot com since I have yarr at yarrthepirate dot com.

Anyway, did anyone else grab an email address beforet he good ones are taken?

Post subject: Re: Microsoft Unveils Outlook.com, Hotmail's Successor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:27 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Yarr wrote:
Anyway, did anyone else grab an email address beforet he good ones are taken?

Nah, cause it's still hotmail! I got my full name a few ways, but I doubt I'll ever use it. Gmail all the way!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Can't get any variation of my (real) name @ outlook.com - how long has it been up?

EDIT: Actually nvm I got one by putting a dot in there.

EDIT2: It looks exactly like hotmail except it's Metro, lol. I really don't like Metro because it's currently busy fucking over Windows 8.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:58 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

meh, its all webmail to me. I dont care whos behind it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:28 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I've been using this some more, and despite the Metro nonsense it's cool.

You can also rename your old @hotmail.com account to an @outlook.com alias if you like (don't do this if you use a Windows Phone btw, it even warns you on the site). I set up an alias for now though so my account stays the same but my e-mail address is now much nicer looking.

Best feature by far though is that it now exposes Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync as a connection option instead of POP/IMAP. This is great because Hotmail would only do crappy old POP which can't sync "read" e-mails across devices.

I've been reading some of my earliest e-mails out of curiousity and there's some crazy stuff in there from a decade ago.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Man, hotmail. That sure brings back memories. It was my first e-mail address, as I'm sure it was for many of you. I think I got my first account back in '98 or '99. This was back when an old friend of mine and myself ran a Pokemon based series of sites where people logged into chatrooms and RP'd out battles between the pokemon. How nerdy is that?! Was in high school at the time. I can only imagine what some of those e-mails would look like, if I were to be able to view them now.

Sadly, the whole "you don't use it, you lose it" philosophy those e-mail accounts had back then cause my accounts to get wiped on a few occasions. Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ridere wrote:
Man, hotmail. That sure brings back memories. It was my first e-mail address, as I'm sure it was for many of you. I think I got my first account back in '98 or '99. This was back when an old friend of mine and myself ran a Pokemon based series of sites where people logged into chatrooms and RP'd out battles between the pokemon. How nerdy is that?! Was in high school at the time. I can only imagine what some of those e-mails would look like, if I were to be able to view them now.

Sadly, the whole "you don't use it, you lose it" philosophy those e-mail accounts had back then cause my accounts to get wiped on a few occasions. Oh well.

I still have my account from back then. I don't remember why I signed up for it, but I still use it for things today. Usually just online shopping now for sites that make you sign up, so the spam can just go to it lol

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology