It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology

Post subject: Help me!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:44 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

My graphics card apparently died about 2 weeks ago. I didn't know what was wrong. The computer wouldn't turn on, so I took it into Best Buy. They said it was the graphics card and replaced it. They put in a NVIDIA GeForce GT620 without getting my approval (I never picked it out). The card cost like $40. I took it home, and now the game runs really slowly and CRASHES a lot more often than before. In crowded areas especially, it just crashes while I walk. I am thinking about taking it back and getting like a $150 card. But the people at Best Buy said based on my processor, I would be wasting my money getting anything better than an NVIDIA GeForce GT620. What do you guys think??? I have about 2 weeks before the receipt becomes invalid (on a side note they never gave me a receipt for the graphics card, but when I called them after I left they said my purchase is in their system).

Here are my computer specs:
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
AMD Phenom II X4 processor (4 CPUs) 3.4GHz
4096MB RAM
DirectX11
NVIDIA GeForce GT 620
1680x1050 resolution (32bit 60Hz)

Post subject: Re: Help me!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:16 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

It's kinda messed up that they replaced your parts without your consent, did you get your old card back? It might not have even been the card that was the problem. What model is your Phenom II? I had a 955 for a few years and it did me wonders.

Nvidia and AMD have rolled out high spec cheaper alternatives to their high end cards, you'd be looking at a price of $300 though, so that's double what you mentioned. I'm not up to date on the GPU scene these days, maybe check here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:35 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Reason it's slow: The 620 is a really low-end card. All nVidia cards where the second digit is a 2 is basicaly the entry model; 7200, 8200, 9200, 220, 420, 620, etc. It's pretty much only one step up from using embedded intel graphics.

Reason it crashes: FFXIV seems to have a lot of trouble with 6-series nVidia cards. I read on a forum that rolling back your drivers to older ones can help. You should ask Krellis which drivers he's using. He crashes all the damn time on his 6xx too.

As for what Best Buy said, there are different versions of it and i dunno which one you have, but the Phenom X4 isn't all that far off an Intel i7 (they're about as good as an Intel i5). Pretty sure they're talking out their ass on that one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:43 pm 
Master Deba-tor
Master Deba-tor

Your CPU is fine. Slap in a GeForce GTX x50+ card and you'll be fine. In settings turn on v sync.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:41 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Ketrebu wrote:
You should ask Krellis which drivers he's using. He crashes all the damn time on his 6xx too.

It hasn't been as bad since putting the latest drivers on... but it's random and comes in spurts...

I don't think the problem is with 6xx cards. Klu is using a 680 and has no problems. I think my problem is the 690 and SLI. Even though the 2 GPU's are on the same card, it's still using SLI. SLI support for FFXIV 1.0 was added, but I've read it's still been a problem for people and they have to disable their second cards while running the game.

As for Whisp, depending on what model that CPU is, it's going to be your bottleneck with a faster GPU... but if you were running 1.0 fine before, then upgrade the graphics card and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:03 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Ketrebu wrote:
Pretty sure they're talking out their ass on that one.

I wanted to say it, but i'm glad someone else did lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Seriously fuck best buy. That place is filled with idiots and everything is overpriced. They gave you bad advice...which is typical for them. 620 is a very low end card. Even after 2.0 it won't run FFXIV very well.

Krellis wrote:
I don't think the problem is with 6xx cards. Klu is using a 680 and has no problems. I think my problem is the 690 and SLI. Even though the 2 GPU's are on the same card, it's still using SLI. SLI support for FFXIV 1.0 was added, but I've read it's still been a problem for people and they have to disable their second cards while running the game.

Yeah I rarely crash in FFXIV with the 680, only seems to happen in certain areas (like if I afk on CKD ramp in Uldah). FFXIV fails at SLI support. Krellis computer will destroy that game in 2.0 lol.

Quote:
As for Whisp, depending on what model that CPU is, it's going to be your bottleneck with a faster GPU... but if you were running 1.0 fine before, then upgrade the graphics card and you should be fine.

+ 1 to this. Your CPU can bottleneck your system to where it's pointless to get a better graphics card. But BB is full of shit, you can get a way better card than a 620 until you have bottleneck issues.

Spy had your CPU and ran a GTX470 on his last comp with no performance issues.

If you want to spend $150 on a card, get this. EVGA cards are the best IMO (i'm sure others will agree) and this one has good bang for the buck. It will run FFXIV much better and won't bottleneck your system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130831.

If you wanted to spend more, I would say get a 560ti or 660ti, but wouldn't go any higher than that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:32 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Thanks for all the advice. I plan to take this thing back up to Best Buy. Just gotta find time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:42 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

best buy is a scam most the people working at geek squad are just the normal floor employees. my aunt took her pc in and they charger her $250 to run free programs on it like hijack this. i know cause they forgot to delete them after she brought it in. my coworker they keep selling her ram. shes bought about 15 ram cards because they keep telling her she needs more ramn to make her computer run faster. which in a ways is true but her mb is only slotted for one card... buying more but having no way to install it does her no good obviously. i think most of their repair is just placeabo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:28 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Kluya wrote:
Spy had your CPU and ran a GTX470 on his last comp with no performance issues.
Actually I only had the Athlon II x 4, and it did bottlenect the 470 but it wasnt that bad with settings turned down a bit. With a Phenom II x 4 a 560Ti/660Ti would be a good fit, assuming your power supply would be able to handle it (wasnt listed, so idk for sure).
Whisp wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I plan to take this thing back up to Best Buy. Just gotta find time.
I hope thats to return the crappy card they sold you without your consent, and get your money back. They overcharge for everything and have a crappy selection of hardware, so you would be better off getting a card and installing it yourself. If you need help, pretty much everyone here has done it and can walk you through it, or send you links for guides on how to do it right. Its really simple once you get passed the "I dont want to break it" factor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:04 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Spyder wrote:
I hope thats to return the crappy card they sold you without your consent, and get your money back. They overcharge for everything and have a crappy selection of hardware, so you would be better off getting a card and installing it yourself. If you need help, pretty much everyone here has done it and can walk you through it, or send you links for guides on how to do it right. Its really simple once you get passed the "I dont want to break it" factor.

Yeah, best buy's computer hardware selection is horrible. I would bet that's part of the reason they gave you that crappy card. If you have a Fry's electronics anywhere nearby, I would go there. Their selection and prices are much better. That's where I buy all my computer shit if I'm too impatient to wait for shipping from newegg lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I checked speedtest.net at home versus work

Home:
Download 16 Mb/s
Upload 1 Mb/s

Work:
Download 71 Mb/s
Upload 44 Mb/s

I contacted my service provider (AT&T) and they said that I should expect a maximum download of 18 Mb/s and maximum upload of 1.5 Mb/s. Does anyone think that affects anything?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:07 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Nah I had 5mb download and 0.8 upload at my last place, FFXIV ran fine. Downloading updates on the otherhand.....sometimes I had to wait until the next day to play lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:47 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Wait I thought this thread was about a dead (and later, slow) video card. Are you asking if your slow internet speeds are responsible for your graphics card?

On a more serious note, those speeds are pretty typical of your average ADSL connection, they're fine. Upload speeds are always much much lower than download speeds on a home connection, and that's all they need to be unless you're uploading files or doing torrents.

Unfortunately FFXIV's updater uses torrents so if you do have low upload they'll be slower than most things. The real problem is that the FFXIV updater has no way to configure an upload cap. If you saturate your upload bandwidth, your download speed grinds to a halt, and this happens very very easily when doing a torrent. Many torrent clients allow you to cap your upload speed to prevent it happening, but theres no way with XIV's updater. This is why people typically have much more luck using uTorrent to download their FFXIV patches.

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology