It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology

Post subject: Windows 8
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:31 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Windows 8 just came out a few days ago. Anybody else take(ing) the plunge?

You can currently upgrade to Windows 8 Pro via digital download for only $40. Just download the upgrade assistant thing and it'll let you buy it for $40 once it checks your PC. It'll even do a clean install for you without you having to worry about burning discs and stuff, magic stuff these days.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -windows-8

Anyhow, how is it? Well it's kind of controversial. You've probably heard some stuff about it turning into a tablet OS, and that's not wrong, it has.

That's the new "Start Menu" -- it's a home screen like on a phone or tablet. It's not terrible really, you can customize it and put it how you like it, and those tiles all update in real time to give you updates and notifications about the various apps.

The real kicker is that the "Desktop" (where you'll use every other application you're used to) is now technically it's own app, and that takes some getting used to. Once you're on the desktop though it works pretty much exactly the same as Windows 7, and reports say 8 runs a lot faster than 7. It sure seemed to boot up a lot faster this morning than I was expecting.

The jury is still out on this one. But I felt that while there was an upgrade price offer up for grabs it'd be a good idea to grab it now rather than later. I hated the Windows 7 UI when I first installed it, but now I prefer it, so maybe the same will happen with this.

Post subject: Re: Windows 8
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:19 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

I got to use this on a tablet at work for a bit. It seemed okay on the tablet, but I couldn't imagine wanting to use it on a PC with mouse and keyboard. Then I found out they put the same UI on the new version of Windows Server. Seriously Microsoft? Keep your fucking social app bullshit off my production servers kthx.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:58 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Ketrebu wrote:
Windows 8

x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:11 am 
Even Match
Even Match

I will at some point. I wanted to do the upgrade thing, but it was so fuckin vague... didn't tell me if it was x64 or w/e, didn't tell me the purpose for the download assistant. I'll probably give it another shot. I've heard a lot about other power users using it... and they've all essentially made the metro screen the new start menu.

One of they key reasons I'll upgrade is the enhanced security, I really like what they've been doing the last few years to help secure the OS... UEFI and all the new sandboxing should be pretty awesome. Not that I really get any malware/viruses, etc... as it is, It's just nice to be ahead of the curve as those programs get more and more advanced

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:50 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I have no “hands on” experience with Windows 8, just what I’ve read about on the internet. It seems people either love it or hate it.

I absolutely HATE the idea of turning my desktop into a tablet. I would miss the start menu and I don’t want to install “apps” on my desktop...nor do I want the actual desktop to be an app. I don’t care for the hybrid touch screen laptop/tablet commercials they are showing to make Windows 8 look appealing. I don’t really want to “support” the idea of Windows 8 by purchasing it. I would like to see it fail and have Microsoft abandon the idea. But that of course won’t happen, they’ve invested way too much into this.

On the flip side, I hate being behind in technology. If windows 8 is indeed the future of PC user interface…I’ll have to get used to it eventually. Also I will probably continue to keep my PC hardware up to date. I would be interested to know how much of a performance hit I’d be taking if I stuck with Windows 7.

I’m actually in the market for a new laptop now…which will most likely come with Windows 8 installed. Maybe I’ll get used to it, and convert to the dark side.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I got it on my new laptop, and it's absolute shit.

I'm a giant nerd. Programming degree, like playing video games, spend a lot of time on the computer, etc... I had to google how to access notepad in Windows 8. That's how unintuitive it is.

I think they just forced that crappy UI on you, because they know no one else would use it otherwise. It's a POS, in my opinion, but I suppose that fits well with the "you either love it, or hate it." comments a few of you have made.

that's one vote for "Hate it".

There are programs you can install to force a start menu on the desktop app, but it's still just a major pain in the ass. They use those dumb-ass metro apps as the defaults for everything at first, too. Want to open up a picture? Great, well, let's just shut down the desktop and open the picture up in this lovely all green window instead. Same with pdfs, videos, and what have you.

Yah, you can change the defaults, I'm sure. I haven't done it yet, but I will soon.

But it's taken so much work to just make the OS less-shitty, and I'd trade it back in a heartbeat if there wouldn't be a restocking fee to do so.

Steer clear, unless you are an avid fan of shitty Metro buttons. And even then, just get a windows mobile device instead. Good luck to all the companies wanting to upgrade OS's soon. It's so shitty. haha.

:( :( :( :( :( 5/5 frowns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I haven't actually tried it, but I deem this an appropriate response anyway:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:44 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah I changed my mind about "possibly" getting it in the future.

I'm sticking with 7 until they A) discontinue support, or B) release an OS that doesn't try to integrate a tablet a with PC.

I just got a new laptop and I opted for 7.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:51 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol, whisp...

Yah. I was at best buy, looking at the G75 Asus laptops. And they had two versions. A windows 7 and windows 8 version. I straight up asked, "Is Windows 8 another Vista?" and the sales lady spouted off some random shit.

I'd have gone with Windows 7, but the Windows 8 laptop had a slightly better processor. I figured all I'd be dealing with was having to click on the Desktop Metro app before getting to the real computer. I didn't realize all the other annoyances with it.

Really only have myself to blame.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:26 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Im skipping Windows 8.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

NO Windows 8 for the PC end of story terribad OS for anything but a touch screen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:56 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

My boyfriend has it on his laptop and it's super lame. It made me want to claw my own eyes out and stomp on them. Stay away from Windows 8!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:55 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Iolanthe wrote:
My boyfriend has it on his laptop and it's super lame. It made me want to claw my own eyes out and stomp on them. Stay away from Windows 8!!!

HI FRIEND

Yeah Windows 8 sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:18 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Update...

I ended up returning the laptop. I bought the Asus G75 as an upgrade to my G73, which crapped out during a Windows Update and was unrecoverable, since it didn't have a working CD/DVD drive anymore.

I just ended up buying an external DVD/CD drive from Newegg for 25 bucks and reinstalling Windows 7 on my G73.

I had way too much buyer's remorse buying a fancy new laptop that was weighed down by Windows 8, and if I was going to just reinstall Windows 7 on it, I might as well save money and do it on my old laptop.

Best Buy said that windows bought back all their Windows 7 machines, because they're trying to force Windows 8 on people. They should have just made a separate touch screen and normal OS. I'm sure they'll follow their format of Hit/Miss/Hit/Miss, and Windows 9 will be tolerable next year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:26 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

At the core, windows 8 is a nice improvement over windows 7. It's faster, the boot up time in particular is pretty impressive, plus all kinds of various minor things. It's bogged down by one extremely easily fixable thing; the Start Screen and Metro stuff being forced on you. All they need to do is:
  • Put the start menu back. It was apparently in a bunch of the early Win8 betas, so there's absolutely no reason it couldn't be there now. It was removed at the very last minute by MS to try and push their new UI harder.
  • Give first time users (and via a setting later) the option of choosing between desktop/classic mode and tablet/modern mode. It doesn't even have to disable your ability to use the other, simply change whether it boots up into the fancy start screen or straight to your desktop, and set your program defaults for you. If you desperately want to access it, a button called "Start Screen" could be on your start menu.

That's all it would take and Windows 8 would have been the next Windows 7. No need to even make them separate editions or anything. There's honestly no reason they can't do these things now in a service pack (hell you could do it in a simple update) but I feel like Microsoft doesn't want to admit they were wrong.

I have used Windows 8 on an actual tablet, it's beautiful on there, minus the lack of apps right now it's a great tablet UI/OS. I can also completely understand Microsoft wanting a "consistent" OS and style across all of it's devices. However, mouse & keyboard and sitting at a desk is just about as far away from a touch-screen tablet in usability as you can get. Surely Microsoft themselves would know this. I can't imagine the hundreds of programmers working on this OS and not one of them complained that the OS they're creating is no good for power users like themselves to use.

What it needs is a zero percent corporate uptake to kick them into gear, that's where their real money is made. And no company in the world wants to re-train their staff how to use a completely new OS interface. It took them almost 20 years to get staff to figure out how the current UI works. I'm still amazed how such a huge portion of the middle-aged and above working class are completely computer illiterate outside of a bespoke piece of software they're forced to use to do their job.

It's not terrible for home use though, except for the start screen it's basically Windows 7.1. A few swift clicks in the default programs control panel app will get the majority of metro off your desktop. I wouldn't tell somebody who has it to go to the hassle of getting rid of it, but I wouldn't tell anybody to upgrade from Windows 7 just yet either.

Here's hoping for SP1.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:43 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Theres rumors that 8.1 will have a start button and the ability to boot from desktop. althou thats the only thing that microsoft hasnt confirmed...

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:02 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Current rumor is that they're going to put the start button back, but it'll still just open the old Windows 8 start screen, making it quite pointless. If that happens then somehow Microsoft has managed to hear all of the feedback and somehow ascertain that people were upset at the fact the BUTTON is missing instead of the MENU.

That said, if you want all the benefits of Windows 8 (faster boot, faster usage, really nice task manager) but none of the crap, just use something like StartIsBack.

It's so lightweight and fixes almost all of Windows 8's stupid crap (puts start menu back, disables hot corners, disables start screen and apps) that we're currently using it on a test domain network for general use. Working pretty well and runs pretty damn fast.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:56 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Its very sad that third party apps are necessary to make the OS acceptable by most user's expectations.

TBH I'm disappointed that the blue patch sounds like it's not going to be the reversion a lot of people were hoping for.
I guess I'll keep waiting it out for now. Although 7 hasn't been good to me either lately. Recently, all the windows updates coming over have had bugs that have broken vital aspects of my computing (such as not being to watch streaming anime!). I haven't been able to actually keep windows up to date due to these updates being buggy.
Which really surprises me because MS is usually completely on top of their game with this sort of stuff.

Oh well hopefully it'll be better. If anything I'm really curious what direction win 9 will go in.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:48 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
Current rumor is that they're going to put the start button back, but it'll still just open the old Windows 8 start screen, making it quite pointless. If that happens then somehow Microsoft has managed to hear all of the feedback and somehow ascertain that people were upset at the fact the BUTTON is missing instead of the MENU.

That said, if you want all the benefits of Windows 8 (faster boot, faster usage, really nice task manager) but none of the crap, just use something like StartIsBack.

It's so lightweight and fixes almost all of Windows 8's stupid crap (puts start menu back, disables hot corners, disables start screen and apps) that we're currently using it on a test domain network for general use. Working pretty well and runs pretty damn fast.

I was looking at startisback, and wondered if it was good or not. I (like you) limit 3rd party software whenever possible. Seeing that you liked it...is good.

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology