It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology

Post subject: smart tv/media center set top boxes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:52 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

(typing on cell sorry for grammar)

does anyone have any experiances with these devices? are they worth it? what i want to do is be able to watch streaming video flash and html5 sourced and maybe basic computing with my tv. the websites i use arent typical such as youtube or have their own apps, so it would need to be able to handle a regular browser duties. im wary of the android boxes as they run the same dated android version my phone does and has similar stats, and i know my cell doesnt handle these things very well lol. i dont know if any of these things are worth it. i like to lay in bed and watch tv but i cant watch things on the schedule they are aired or watch fansubbed anime etc.

thanks for reading (ps tiny keyboards for these things are freakin adorable!)

Post subject: Re: smart tv/media center set top boxes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:10 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I'm really big into the whole Home Theater scene for whatever reason. Really I Suggest building yourself an HTPC. You can build a M-itx setup that has the capabilities your asking for fairly cheap. It's only slightly bit more of a hassle than buying a pre-assembled media box.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Htpc is a pretty good resource.

Alternatively if size / aesthetics aernt an issue for you, can always either re-purpose an old desktop, if your just watching streams an old PoS can get you pretty far.

I've played around some using a Rasberry Pi and I think would also be able to do everything you want, just takes a bit of finagling.

Somebody make me a Sig

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:13 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Are you streaming all of the stuff you want to watch? Is it possible for you to download the shows instead?

I use my PS3 to stream shows from my computer. It takes a little bit more work than just going the site to stream them, but I think it makes watching more comfortable with better and easier control over everything.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:29 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

yeah, everything I watch is streaming from a collection of websites. Some official, like full episodes posted on a tv's official site, but a lot of programs and movies I watch are foreign and the only way you can get them is via fan streaming sites. I'm not really a fan of Hulu and similar services that insert commercials, most of which you can't skip.
My ps3 is the launch model that runs too hot/loud to use for anything at all. I have a 360 but media center messes up my pc for some reason.
My computer had dvr capabilities but splitting my cable messed up the signal to the rest of the house (legal cable but its kinda jerry-rigged to not have to use decoder boxes).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:37 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

They're definitely worth it and a very good investment, it just depends how far you want to take it. If you have a huge collection of movies then you could go with XBMC which is great software, I've been using it for a couple of years. It has a few built in scrapers to obtain movie information for your library etc.

You'll first need to decide on what you want it to look like (mATX or full tower) as there are tons of designs out there (some even with 7" touch screen displays!).

Then you can either install a receiver so it has a dedicated remote control or use a mini keyboard, tv tuners are pretty slick nowadays.

Since you're planning on mostly streaming you could easily go with a mATX build, for libraries this isn't effective as there aren't many HDD bays in mATX cases.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I have a 60GB PS3, don't count them out :P

If you have to stream everything, you'll probably have to get a tiny computer or repurpose one you have now to use with the TV like Soul is saying.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology