It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology

Post subject: Logitech G13
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:05 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So!

I tried doing a forum search, since I could have sworn there was a G13 thread started when Noodle got his, but may be not. Sorry if this is redundant.

Anyway, Kitty and I ordered a pair of these today. Will be arriving on Tuessday (Thanks, Amazon Prime!). For those of you who have it (Maybe just Noodle?). I'm curious if you have any tips, or tricks, on how to use it for FF14.

I'm guessing you assign WASD to some of the keys, and then use all the rest for quick access to your most-often used abilities, but I'm just curious on some feedback.

Noodle (or whoever), have you used the joystick for movement at all? Is it intuitive, or does it feel clunky?

I'm excited to try it out! Even if it just becomes a glorified macro button presser.

Post subject: Re: Logitech G13
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:59 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I use the joystick for movement -- it doesn't feel clunky at all for me. It's like moving around a character on a Playstation analog stick. I use legacy type movement though so I can run towards screen while still keeping my camera facing forward (though I use mouse to turn/reposition camera if need be)

Out of the box, the stick does not function in analog. I remember reading about a patch/hack that lets the joystick perform in an analog manner, but never got around to following up on it.

You can map the keys to anything so it can be setup similar the left side of your keyboard for movement (WASD) between G4, G10, G11, G12 (they have groves in them) -- I think this is the default.

I use the G13 with my Naga mouse so I essentially map G9, G10, G12, G4, G17 to combinations of shift, ctrl, ctrl+shift, alt, alt+shft, ctrl+alt, etc (not in that order) for my macro palettes (corresponding with pressing 1-12 buttons on Naga).

This essentially lets me use 6 macro palettes at any time with little effort/finger stretching magic.

I don't use all the buttons though (lazy to setup all keys)
I personally map Target of Target, Focus Target, Escape, Tab target, Nearest Target, Jump, Autorun and Draw/Sheathe weapon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:06 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I almost bought this a few times, but Im really happy with my current mouse\keyboard setup.

How are you liking this now Ridere?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:13 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It arrives on Tuesday. haha. I'll let you know once I fart around with it for a while, tho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:50 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

yeah let me know. there's been a few times it was on sale for a good price and I just couldn't make up my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:04 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

They arrived today. So Kitty and I are farting around with them. Will let you know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Okay, so I think I can finally write some stuff about this.

For the most part, this thing is pretty comfortable. It feels a bit like the left-hand side of those ergonomic keyboards that are split in half. I suppose that makes sense. haha

I have not yet adopted the analog stick for movement. I may give that a shot once everything else is completely second-nature, but for now, I still keep the initial key bindings on the G13 for the movement keys (G4, G10, G11, G12). And I have a few of the G keys still bound to default keys in relation to their WASD movement keys. This includes the Auto-run, weapon (un)sheathing, and pulling up the character screen.

On the left-hand side of the keys, I have the very top left (G1) set to my push-to-talk for Vent, since I'm used to it being bound to the Tilde (~). G8 is Tab and G15 is Shift+Tab, so that I can move back and forth between enemies without too much trouble. G2 is set to ESC, for exiting out of cutscenes, or NPC dialog windows.

So far the right-hand side is pretty under-utilized. The very top-right (G7) is bound to M to bring up the map, at least. I'll probably set Sprint and my Mount to some of those keys. Something I use on all jobs, but not something that I need to press in the heat of battle.

Those two buttons down by the analog stick are set to Ctrl and Alt. When combined with the six buttons I use on my Naga Hex, this gives me access to 18 different abilities I can press by only moving my two thumbs and (for the most part), not hindering my ability to move around. I can use the mouse to steer/face Ridere, while using G4, G10, G11 and G12 to actually move him, all while having continuous access to 18 abilities.

So overall, it's pretty bad-ass. I was using this set up in Turn 5 last night. I just used it by default. When I first started using the G13, I had to consciously get myself to use it, since I was so used to just using my regular keyboard. But it's slowly starting to become second-nature.

On my "To do" list is to find good uses for the other keys that I'm not currently using, as well as positioning my skills/macross better across those 18 buttons. Having one slot just being my "Buff" slot across all jobs, for instance. So no matter what job I'm playing, I press the same key to use all my buffs would be nice. Same with stuns, or AoE moves, or Ranged moves for melee dps. that sort of thing.

So if anyone is on the fence about getting this, and 60 bucks on Amazon won't break the bank, I'd probably suggest you give it a shot. You can pick the LED color, too, so it could match any sort of nerd gamer rig. I have it set to red (of course), to match my keyboard and red naga hex. haha

So, there you go!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:31 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

my only negative thing about this is having to switch to the keyboard when you need to type something. I think if your using this, its better to be on ventrilo so you can just say what you want without having to switch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:38 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, that is true.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:27 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I like the idea of the G13, however I'm intimidated by the learning curve :-k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kluya,

I started off just doing stuff like the dailies using it. Just got used to the movement keys for the most part and tab targetting. Activities that I didn't need to worry about hitting more than just the six buttons I use the most on my mouse.

Once I got used to that, I added in some of the extra features, as I had a need for them. This includes mapping the ESC key, the Vent push-to-talk button, the Map and ultimately the ALT and CTRL keys down by my thumb.

I've been running low-level roulette every day for exp on my MNK and DRG, and those were good places to test using more of the features, because who cares if you have crap dps in Sastasha, amirite?

So yah. Give it a shot, if it interests you. You sound a lot like me, Klu, and you rely a lot on the buttons on your mouse. And so I found binding CTRL and ALT to thumb buttons on the G13 made it really easy for me to have access to 3x the amount of mouse buttons, so to speak.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:48 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Cool thanks for the info Rid, that sounds like a good way to get the feel for it. I'll let you know of I man-up and buy it :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:50 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

hehe. good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:50 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

should be required equipment for the FC :D along with cobra kai tshirts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:08 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Hey actually Cobra Kai shirts would be great. Do we have any artists?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:00 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboar ... -nostromo/

Is what im looking into never been big on Logitech :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:42 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

I've gotten used to it now. pretty sweet setup. specially when using a multi button mouse.

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology