It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: *** CKD Roster V2.0 ***
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:36 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I have some rl friends who are doing the same thing as Fatty. I really can't blame people for wanting to start fresh on a new server. It's a bit overwhelming jumping into the game where everybody is already maxed out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:41 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Fattino - We'll miss you, dude! You'll always have a place with us if you reconsider. We'd help you and your friends get started!

Vurin - I gotta add you to our roster. I'm sure you'll catch up with us very quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

Whisp wrote:
Vurin - I gotta add you to our roster. I'm sure you'll catch up with us very quickly.

What a nice way to say "I think you're a huge nerd who spends a ton of time playing video games"

=P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I dunno...

I don't get it, to be honest. You can still do the low leve content, even on a legacy server. Heck, you'll be competing with a lot less people for quest mobs and such, too. Yah, there will be level 50's in the LS, sure, but let's not pretend any of us are the 18-year-olds, no responsbilities other than MMOs, kind of people that we used to be. So it's not like any of us would be ending up as world first level 50's on a fresh server. Someone is always going to be higher.

I'd rather be the lowbie in the LS of people I knew (Especially if I could bring along my RL friends, anyway), and then ultimately join them on events.

If memory serves (Iron chef!), Fattino always showed up to FFXI events back when he was like PLD66. Was good times and fun :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:06 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Some people want to start afresh to experience all the new content, and I get that. I was reading a few threads on the official forum some time ago about all this, and in my opinion there's not really much reason you couldn't just start afresh on a Legacy server.

I honestly don't think the experience is going to be all that different across servers.

---

Argument: The server will already be full of crafters monopolising the market.

Counter-argument: The server will already be full of crafters competing for the market. Big difference. In a fresh MMO, you will always have people who just hardcore grind crafts at the start. What ends up happening is you have a small pool of dedicated crafters actually monopolising the market with a tiny supply for a huge pool of new players all in need of gear. Low supply, very high demand, high prices. As opposed to an established server where you have an entire market of crafters competing and driving down prices for a relatively low demand. High supply, low demand, low prices.

Argument: Everyone on the server will already have tons of Gil and the prices of everything will be too high.

Counter-argument: Ignoring the fact everybody had their Gil cut by 90%, this still goes both ways. While the buying price of everything may be high, so will the selling price. Assuming you actually go out of your way to make money, you should make it proportionally faster in line with the server's economy. While inflation messes up economies, having a market with already-inflated prices doesn't matter as long as it doesn't fluctuate. People may have the advantage of having a pool of gil to start with, but that just means they've got more disposable income to waste paying too much for low level gathering and crafting items they're too lazy to farm themselves. Easy money.

Argument: I want to play with people experiencing everything for the first time.

Counter-argument: Not going to happen due to how the Duty Finder works. Confirmed from beta phase 3, the Duty Finder *WILL* match you with legacy players from legacy servers. Just because you're doing the first story mission dungeon, doesn't mean that your party won't contain a Level 50 dude with maxed Darklight Gear and jobs nobody on your server has even unlocked yet. And considering almost all content in ARR uses the Duty Finder, you're gonna see this a lot. Also, the whole game has been rebuilt basically from scratch, most of it is all new to 1.0 people too.

Argument: I don't want to play on a server where everyone is already max level and nobody is my level.

Counter-argument: You probably won't see this either. FFXIV sold somewhere in the range of 600-700k copies. Assuming they played the game, ALL of these people are "legacy" characters. How many of them are actually all max 50s? There are thousands upon thousands of players who quit the game before ever reaching level 50. Going by number of people that actually continued to play 1.0 into its second year, probably in the region of 10-20k. Then there's max 50 people still able to level Arcanist, and then there are tons of people who didn't max all 50s with plenty jobs to level through the new content. And then of course, when it comes to actual content, it's all instanced and level-synced anyway. From what I saw on a "legacy server" in ARR Beta 3, there are still tons of people of all levels across the server.

---

There are probably counter-counter-arguments to most of these, but you could go on forever doing that probably.

So yeah, I honestly don't think the experience will be all that different on different servers. You might come across more "elitists" on legacy servers who talk like they know everything because they've been playing longer than all you non-hipsters, etc. But with basically all party-based content being instanced and cross-server, your chances of playing with these guys is practically the same on every server except within your own linkshell/company.

But the good news is that in 2.0 it doesn't cost any more money to create extra characters on other servers, even if you're only on the basic price plan. 1 per server for up to 8 servers on the basic price. So at worst you can create a character on a second server to talk to people.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:36 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Ridere wrote:

If memory serves (Iron chef!),

Ridere IRL :trollface:

Kinda sad that Fattino isnt joining us. also as a counter, our LS has a few new people coming in so you wont be alone doing the low level stuff. I dont think people should be pressured into doing all the end game content right away. I will probably not get a chance since I work on weekends.

Also this LS has a good support group and lots of people are always willing to help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Looks like the chairman is eating meat on the bone. So I don't know if that's me :D I'd be cutting it off with a fork and a knife, and my pinky would be sticking out, of course. haha!

aaaaaah-sparagas!

But yah. Everyone and their uncle is planning on healing in ARR, so while I love healing, I'm not sure if I'll end up doing it. I may roll DRG, or whatever, which means I'll be starting off at around level 20ish, or so. And there are tons of people leveling up low jobs.

I figure Kitty and I will sort of be the David Hasselhoffs of "CKD Nights", since we are west coasters, however. We spent a ton of time in Phase 3 being the only ones active, since all the east coasters (and Brits) were asleep.

All content won't be able to be completed by just one group, so we'll definitely be doing things in waves, or with multiple groups. I see no reason why we can't accomodate those wanting to start fresh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:56 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I'll probably be joining you guys. Every server is pretty much the same to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:34 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Just a reminder, I wouldn't take any kind of baseline of activity based on Phase 3. At that point in time probably dozens of people that had already been in multiple phases of character deletion weren't really spending much time in it. Phase 4 > Open Beta > Release is going to be very busy. Can't wait! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:38 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

TBH if I was playing a "re-boot new" MMo without anyone I knew I'd definitely prefer some sort of fresh start server since I feel the likely hood of meeting new players looking to make friends new guilds etc is probably a little higher there ( and even then there is something to be said for the stability of pre-existing guilds etc). But in FFXIV I already have friends playing and a guild to join, so no real reason to start fresh... its all new to me either way and there are plenty of advantages to the legacy servers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:37 pm 
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo

I'm going in with an open mind ALL of it will be new to me besides the FF theme of it all. I didn't think about anything but what I want to do and how I want to play it. And honestly I think that is the best way...not worrying about what others are doing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:13 pm 
The Original Dark Knight™

Likewise Talisin, I've been pretty much playing WoW since I stopped with FFXI, and I'm pretty ignorant to all of FFXIV, despite playing for like a week when it first came out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:37 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i will be curious to see how people think FFXIV V2.0 compares to WoW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:48 pm 

From what I've played of FFXIV, it's more like Guild Wars 2 than anything.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:16 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Fat... no join the server, I am pretty much a noobie (hit lvl 20 in 1.0) and have 2 RL friends that I expect to be joining me too, one is my brother and people probably remember him, the other is a guy I went to school with, my brother wants the new server too but has agreed that as we know people here it will work out in the long run for sure!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 pm 
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo

Yeah Ive been playing WoW for tha last year in a bit. got too many capped lvl characters. I think six lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:03 am 

Yea, it got out of hand with WoW, I had everything but mage capped out and I was raiding way too often. I don't really know about the endgame structure of FFXIV if there even is one, but as long as there is a decent world to explore and enough solo content or PVP, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:11 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

53 Members showed up for Beta phase 4.
13 Members are expected to show up for launch.

That brings us to 66. A very healthy amount of players!

However I don't know which free company Ruby will end up picking. I hope he joins us, but he also might join Chocobo Inc or whichever it was.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:21 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Simple, we plan RP events, Ruby will be there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:27 am 
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo

Regnar wrote:
Fat... no join the server, I am pretty much a noobie (hit lvl 20 in 1.0) and have 2 RL friends that I expect to be joining me too, one is my brother and people probably remember him, the other is a guy I went to school with, my brother wants the new server too but has agreed that as we know people here it will work out in the long run for sure!! :)

Your brother ender? I think his name was.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:28 am 
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo
I;m in cobr a kuy dogo

Whisp wrote:
53 Members showed up for Beta phase 4.
13 Members are expected to show up for launch.

That brings us to 66. A very healthy amount of players!

However I don't know which free company Ruby will end up picking. I hope he joins us, but he also might join Chocobo Inc or whichever it was.

I also read that You can't join a free company till lvl 25?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:37 am 
Tough!
Tough!

No Tali, Ezakimak, and i think its 25 to create one but can join at any level...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:38 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

No thats just for creating it. Ket already created it. So youre all set to join.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:20 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

And it cost me 15,000 gil too!

But yeah, anyone can join it once it's set up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:28 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i can chip in

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Final Fantasy XIV » Final Fantasy XIV Discussion