It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology

Post subject: Windows 10
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:41 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Today is the day that Microsoft release Windows 10 to the world. Windows 10 is free as long as you upgrade from a genuine, activated, copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

How To Get Windows 10
    You can forget about the reservation and staggered release nonsense and force the upgrade immediately by using the media tool from Microsoft. Download Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Just download it, run it, and choose "Upgrade this PC" and it'll install everything for you and have it set up in around an hour.

Upgrading and Clean Installations
    Upgrading your computer from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 will register your machine's hardware device hash with Microsoft and it will be permanently activated as soon as you go online.

Note: You MUST do an upgrade to get Windows 10 for free. If you "clean install" without doing an upgrade first, your upgrade won't get registered with Microsoft, and you won't be able to activate.

If you want to actually do a clean install, do an upgrade first, and then wipe it and clean install it. When you're asked for a product key, just click "Skip" (multiple times). Once your computer connects online, the device hash will be checked with Microsoft and your copy of Windows will activate automatically.

To create media to perform a clean install with, you can download the upgrade tool above. As well as upgrading your PC, it also has an option to create a bootable DVD or USB stick to install from.

If you're extra lazy, you can use the "Reset PC" feature inside the new Settings app to have Windows 10 reinstall on top of itself, automatically giving you a clean installation with no effort on your part. (This was a feature of Windows 8.1 and works pretty well).

Uninstalling
    It is possible to uninstall Windows 10 and completely revert your operating system back to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 (whichever you had installed before) as long as you do it within 30 days of installation.

To do this, go into the new Settings app: "Update & Security > Recovery > Go back to Windows 8.1/7".

Remember that it's only possible to do this for 30 days, after which the OS backup on your hard drive will be deleted. Obviously if you do a clean install this won't be possible anymore either.

Windows Updates
    Forewarning: Windows Updates are now mandatory in Windows 10. There's no such thing as an optional update, and it's not possible to hide updates, nor postpone installing them more than a couple days. This would be a good thing but it has a few problems, such as...

As of writing, Nvidia drivers are currently having an issue with Windows Update. Windows Update is trying to push out a driver version higher than the one Nvidia currently supply themselves. If you run into graphics driver problems as I did, you need to uninstall the official Nvidia drivers, reboot, and then let Windows Update install the newer version. This is likely to be fixed in a day or two, but I'm just warning you guys now.

Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:57 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Painless so far?
Was thinking of updating later next week on a couple of systems at home.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:09 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Completely painless other than the Nvidia driver stuff.

Was a bit of a faffing for an hour to get my graphics drivers back in order. As I said above though the answer is to uninstall Nvidia's, then reboot, then force windows updates. The driver they push through windows update is a real Nvidia driver, it even uses their installer (can see it in Task Manager) but it's a new version that Nvidia didn't release yet for some reason so it confuses everything. Sounds like Nvidia weren't ready to flip their Windows 10 launch day switch or something. Might be sorted in a day or two.

New web browser is a bit bare bones, but I never bothered with extensions and stuff anyway.

Haven't encountered any other compatibility issues so far. FF works fine. Other random day-to-day apps (Skype, Trillian, Steam, Office, Photoshop, etc.) all seem to still work fine.

I imagine most software that's not an anti-virus of some kind will work fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:22 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

If you run into a problem uninstall nvidia's drivers, go into your processes and kill everything nvidia and try again. This is what I had to do. After the reboot, I didn't feel like waiting on windows update so I installed the driver I previously downloaded from nvidia's website (353.62) and chose for it to do a clean install. No issues since.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:45 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

From reddit:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:09 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Krellis wrote:
If you run into a problem uninstall nvidia's drivers, go into your processes and kill everything nvidia and try again. This is what I had to do. After the reboot, I didn't feel like waiting on windows update so I installed the driver I previously downloaded from nvidia's website (353.62) and chose for it to do a clean install. No issues since.

Ah so this is why you didn't have quite the same problem I had. When I was battling this this morning, Nvidia's website only had 353.30, while Windows Update had the new 353.62. I couldn't just install Nvidia's package because it was seen as older than the Windows Update version so it would constantly try to re-install it.

It didn't care if I had FF running and was obviously using the graphics card. It just initiated the install and disabled my graphics card anyway, crashing everything. Excellent stuff.

It's the only problem I've had with Windows 10 so far though, been smooth otherwise.

Kayne wrote:
From reddit:

It's in tiny writing at the bottom, but just to re-iterate: Group Policy stuff only works if you're running Professional/Enterprise versions of Windows. Interesting if that's all it takes to disable the mandatory installs though. I figured that feature would be gone. Businesses are supposed to be using Enterprise, which connects via WSUS (locally hosted Windows Update) which circumvents this stuff anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:29 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I'm going to give it a month or two before I push the updates on my computers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:19 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

I've started it on my laptop. well see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:35 am 
Spammer, to the max!

I like it so far, although I've only installed it on Pam's PC and my laptop at this point. Of course they moved everything around and I'm relying on using the run command to access the shit I can't find, but overall it seems like a smooth UI and I haven't had any issues yet. Note that I'm coming from Windows 7, so the transition is probably a bit more jarring than from Windows 8/8.1. Also haven't done a clean install yet, so can't speak for any issues that might arise during that process.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:39 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Quote:
You can now scroll on a page when you hover over it! (so without it being active)
It's small but changes a lot !

from reddit, of course: http://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comme ... wesome_tip

Nice addition, especially for people with dual monitors who want to scroll through a page on their other window without changing the focus from a game, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:00 am 
Even Match
Even Match

Been able to do that since 8.1, although a bit hit or miss at times. Haven't had any issues with it so far in Win10.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:56 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V now work in the command prompt window! It only took them 30 years to add that, god damn.

P.S.: Seems it's not turned on by default for some people for some reason. Open Command Prompt > Right Click Icon > Properties > Disable "Use Legacy Console".

EDIT: Hot tip for people who never used Windows 8 (or simply never knew):

Right click the start button for the "Power User" menu (You can also hit WinKey+X). This menu has quick shortcuts to all the cool stuff (Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Command Prompt, Event Viewer, etc, etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:22 pm 
The Original Dark Knight™
The Original Dark Knight™

So as a novice when it comes to upgrading things on a PC and OS nonsense, is it safe to go ahead and upgrade with everything as it stands now?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:24 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Ketrebu wrote:
Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V now work in the command prompt window! It only took them 30 years to add that, god damn.

Nice! I'm so used to right-click paste I never even tried.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:41 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Krellis wrote:
Ketrebu wrote:

Damn, about time, and yeah Krel, haha :P

Also was going to mention the right click Start Menu thing but Ket beat me to it. It's nice to see the actual Control Panel again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:04 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Krellis wrote:
Ketrebu wrote:

I probably never would have noticed.

I've registered my copy already. I'm going to hold off for a little, but I want to switch soon. I hate Windows 8.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:15 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I'm waiting to see how Ket carries on with his own devices before switching mine over, since mine have a greater tendency to break or fail somehow. Entirely software and hardware problems, you know?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:53 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

If you're on Windows 10 now, you might have noticed that the FFXIV Launcher isn't remembering your User ID anymore.

Fix found, via Reddit:
Quote:
Just found a solution! Perform the following steps:

1.Hit windowskey-s to open the windows search.
2.Type in "Internet Options" and select the top result which opens the Internet Properties window from the control panel.
3.Click the Security tab.
4.Click the "Trusted Sites" zone.
5.Click the "Sites" button.
6.Add both https://square-enix.com and http://square-enix.com to the list of trusted sites.
7.Apply/close out of the Internet Properties window.
8.Relauch the launcher and check the "Remember Square Enix ID" button and login.
9.Success!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:14 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

so I upgraded both of my machines now. on one i had to use the media tool. last night while uninstalling some old software from my laptop, windows 10 decided to stop working. start menu would not open, task manager would not open, control panel would stall.

Had to reboot launch msconfig and boot in safemode. removed a few drivers (video card) boot it in normal mode, took about 2 minutes to boot and about 20 minutes to restart WTF. restarted in safe mode again. uninstall as much stuff as i could. still 5 minute boot times. at this point it was midnight and thought about going to bed. restarted computer again. all of a sudden 1 minute start and everything is working fine. so installed chrome and nvidia drivers again and restarted. everything is working fine now. not sure wtf happened.

Board index » Community » Computers & Technology